Seaside+Bootstrap and callbacks

Dominique Dartois-4
Hi all.

I’m trying to use Bootstrap with Seaside and I don’t find the notion of Callback. In the ‘Modal example’ the launch of the modal window is done by a href attribute in a html statement and not a callback in the Smalltalk code.

The statement :

html: '<a data-toggle="modal" href="#myModal" class="btn btn-primary btn-large">Launch demo modal</a>'.

Is it a choice for this example or is it impossible to use a Callback with Bootstrap for Seaside?

I am using Pharo 7 64 bits and the latest package Seaside+Bootstrap.

Regards,
---
Dominique Dartois

Re: Seaside+Bootstrap and callbacks

Paul DeBruicker
Seaside callbacks shouldn't be affected by bootstrap at all.

Bootstrap's javascript for their modal looks for the

data-toggle="modal"

attribute and sets a click handler on those elements that opens/closes the
modal when clicked. (See the example at
https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/components/modal/)

What are you trying to do that you can't get working?

Dominique Dartois-4 wrote

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

Re: Seaside+Bootstrap and callbacks

Dominique Dartois-4
I would to open a dialog like this :

WAComponent subclass: #MyBootstrap

MyBootstrap>>renderContentOn: html
     html tbsButton
     bePrimary;
     callback: [self action: html];
     with: 'Modal'.

MyBootstrap>>action: html
     html
     html tbsModal
     id: 'myModal';
     with: [ html
              tbsModalDialog: [ html
                      tbsModalContent: [ html
etc, etc...

The callback is never triggered.

---
Dominique Dartois

Le 17 février 2019 à 23:23, Paul DeBruicker < [hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

The #callback: as you're using it in the button doesn't render HTML to the
page. It just tells seaside to change something in the image and then
re-render.

Because of that your #action: method, if it ran, wouldn't change the page.

When Seaside re-renders your app, depending on what you do in the callback,
it might re-render the page with some changes or another page.

It looks like you want to open a modal over the current page when the button
is clicked.  Right?

If so, two ways that come to mind to do that are to either, after the button
is clicked,

 - re-draw the page with the modal dialog HTML code rendered in it and set
to open on load,

or

 - load the modal dialog HTML code into the existing page with
Javascript/Ajax and open the modal.

The first way:

MyBootstrap>>initialize.

super initialize.
showModal:=false.

MyBootstrap>>renderContentOn: html
self renderMyButton: html
self renderMyModal: html.

MyBootstrap>>renderMyButton: html
html anchor
class:'btn btn-primary';
callback: [self showModal];
with: 'Show modal'.

html anchor
class:'btn btn-default';
callback: [self hideModal];
with: 'Hide modal'.

MyBootstrap>>showModal
showModal := true.

MyBootstrap>>hideModal
showModal := false.

My Bootstrap>>renderMyModal: html
showModal ifTrue:[
 html tbsModal
     id: 'myModal';
     attributeAt: 'data-show' put: true; "<--- opens the modal when rendered
on the new page"
     with: [ html
              tbsModalDialog: [ html
                      tbsModalContent: [ html
etc, etc...
].

Another approach could be to use jQuery to load the modal into the page and
open it when the button is clicked.

If so I'd do it like this:

renderContentOn: html
html tbsButton
bePrimary;
onClick: ((html jQuery id: 'myModalContainer') load html:[:h | self action:
h]; onComplete:((html jQuery id: 'myModal') call: 'modal' with: 'show');
with: 'Modal'.

html div id:'myModalContainer'.

And keep your #action: method as you have it now.

Dominique Dartois-4 wrote

> I would to open a dialog like this :
>
> WAComponent subclass: #MyBootstrap
>
> MyBootstrap>>renderContentOn: html
> html tbsButton
> bePrimary;
> callback: [self action: html];
> with: 'Modal'.
>
> MyBootstrap>>action: html
> html
> html tbsModal
> id: 'myModal';
> with: [ html
> tbsModalDialog: [ html
> tbsModalContent: [ html
> etc, etc...
>
> The callback is never triggered.
>
> ---
> Dominique Dartois
>

>>     Le 17 février 2019 à 23:23, Paul DeBruicker <

> pdebruic@

>  mailto:

> pdebruic@

>  > a écrit :
>>

>>     Seaside callbacks shouldn't be affected by bootstrap at all.
>>

>>     Bootstrap's javascript for their modal looks for the
>>
>>     data-toggle="modal"
>>
>>     attribute and sets a click handler on those elements that
>> opens/closes the
>>     modal when clicked. (See the example at
>>     https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/components/modal/)
>>

>>     What are you trying to do that you can't get working?
>>

>>     Dominique Dartois-4 wrote
>>
>>         > >         Hi all.
>> >
>> >         I’m trying to use Bootstrap with Seaside and I don’t find the
>> notion of
>> >         Callback. In the ‘Modal example’ the launch of the modal window
>> is done by
>> >         a href attribute in a html statement and not a callback in the
>> Smalltalk
>> >         code.
>> >
>> >         The statement :
>> >
>> >         html: '
>> >         Launch demo modal <#myModal>
>> >         '.
>> >
>> >         Is it a choice for this example or is it impossible to use a
>> Callback with
>> >         Bootstrap for Seaside?
>> >

>> >         I am using Pharo 7 64 bits and the latest package
>> Seaside+Bootstrap.
>> >
>> >         Regards,
>> >         ---
>> >         Dominique Dartois

>> >     >
>>
>>         > >         seaside@.squeakfoundation
>> mailto:seaside@.squeakfoundation
>> >
>> >     >
>>
>>         > >
>> >
>> >     >
>>

>>     --
>>     Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html
>>

> seaside@.squeakfoundation

>  mailto:

> seaside@.squeakfoundation

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

Re: Seaside+Bootstrap and callbacks

Dominique Dartois-4
Thank you Paul for the time you spend writing this code.
I can see the <div> in the debugger appearing if I click the show button and desappearing with a click on Hide, BUT the modal window doesn’t show up.
I have read on https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18855331/bootstrap-3-data-show-not-working that the modal must be initialized first with something like :
<script type="text/javascript">
$( function(){
$('#myModal').modal();
} )
</script>

I am trying to put this code in the WAComponent>>updateRoot: method without success.

Regards,
---
Dominique

Le 19 février 2019 à 01:04, Paul DeBruicker < [hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

opens/closes the
modal when clicked. (See the example at

What are you trying to do that you can't get working?

Dominique Dartois-4 wrote

> > Hi all.

I’m trying to use Bootstrap with Seaside and I don’t find the
notion of
Callback. In the ‘Modal example’ the launch of the modal window
is done by
a href attribute in a html statement and not a callback in the
Smalltalk
code.

The statement :

html: '
Launch demo modal <#myModal>
'.

Is it a choice for this example or is it impossible to use a
Callback with
Bootstrap for Seaside?

I am using Pharo 7 64 bits and the latest package

mailto: [hidden email]

mailto:

Re: Seaside+Bootstrap and callbacks

Dominique Dartois-4
Finally, I've found the right syntax to initialize the modal window :

updateRoot: anHtmlRoot
   super updateRoot: anHtmlRoot.
   anHtmlRoot bodyAttributes at: 'onLoad' append: '$( function(){$(''#myModal'').modal();})'.

Thanks again Paul.
---
Dominique Dartois
Le 22 février 2019 à 21:44, Dominique Dartois <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

opens/closes the
modal when clicked. (See the example at

What are you trying to do that you can't get working?

Dominique Dartois-4 wrote

> > Hi all.

I’m trying to use Bootstrap with Seaside and I don’t find the
notion of
Callback. In the ‘Modal example’ the launch of the modal window
is done by
a href attribute in a html statement and not a callback in the
Smalltalk
code.

The statement :

html: '
Launch demo modal <#myModal>
'.

Is it a choice for this example or is it impossible to use a
Callback with
Bootstrap for Seaside?

I am using Pharo 7 64 bits and the latest package

Glad you got it sorted out.

Another approach than your #updateRoot: approach is in the rendering method
in the component that renders the modal do a

html document addLoadScript: ((html jQuery id: 'myModal') call: 'modal').

Then all the modal creation stuff will be in the same method.

Dominique Dartois-4 wrote

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

Re: Seaside+Bootstrap and callbacks

Dominique Dartois-4
You are right it's a better approach. The logic is more centralized.
An other thing I am discovering : the modal window is not really modal because if I click out of the dialog the window closes. I think it's more on the Bootstrap side than on the seaside one.

Regards
---
Dominique Dartois

> [...]
>
> > pdebruic@
>
> >  mailto:
>
> > pdebruic@

> >> HTML to the
> >> and then

> >> change the page.

> >> the callback,

> >> when the button

> >> after the button

> >> it and set

> >> rendered

> >> the page and

> >> self action:
> >> 'show');

> >> Paul DeBruicker <

> >> bootstrap at all.

> >> the

> >> elements that
> >> > > >
> >> https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/components/modal/)

> >> working?

> >> I don’t find the

> >> ‘Modal example’ the launch of the modal window

> >> in a html statement and not a callback in the

Yea if you change the modal initialization JS to

 html document addLoadScript: ((html jQuery id: 'myModal') call: 'modal'
with: self modalOptions).

MyComponent>>#modalOptions
^Dictionary new
   at: 'backdrop' put: 'static';
   yourself;

It'll keep the modal from closing when someone clicks outside the modal

Its described here:
https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/components/modal/#options

Dominique Dartois-4 wrote