Seaside Builder Installer script

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Lukas,

open builder.seaside.st and download an "Installer Script" from the advanced page. This is broken since Installer DNU #http:

The generated pattern is

(Installer http: 'someurl')
        install: 'somepackeg'

but should be

(Installer monticello http: 'someurl')
        install: 'somepackeg'

This will work at least in latest Pharo.

Maybe the builder could be extended to have a "Pharo" and a
"Squeak" script option. Now the installer is always loaded from
pbwiki at the beginning of the script.

If in Pharo it would be better to use "ScriptLoader new installingInstaller" which downloads the Installer using Monicello
and Squeaksource and allows to still have "Installer" as an MC package.

Thx
Torsten

Re: Seaside Builder Installer script

keith1y
Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Hi Lukas,
>
> open builder.seaside.st and download an "Installer Script" from the advanced page. This is broken since Installer DNU #http:
>
> The generated pattern is
>
> (Installer http: 'someurl')
> install: 'somepackeg'
>
> but should be
>
> (Installer monticello http: 'someurl')
> install: 'somepackeg'
>
> This will work at least in latest Pharo.
>
> Maybe the builder could be extended to have a "Pharo" and a
> "Squeak" script option. Now the installer is always loaded from
> pbwiki at the beginning of the script.

Installer should now be loaded from the latest in squeaksource. See how
the LPF.st script does it.
> If in Pharo it would be better to use "ScriptLoader new installingInstaller" which downloads the Installer using Monicello
> and Squeaksource and allows to still have "Installer" as an MC package.
>
> Thx
> Torsten

If I understand correctly ScriptLoader is a collection of scripts for

Installer was explicitly designed to be the first thing that you load
into an image, even a kernel image, from which you can load everything else.

Installer's is intended to be a way of publishing scripts that may load
into different images (this is what LevelPlayingField uses) with
different variants. This is now embodied in Installer-Scripts, so we
have a duplication here.

Now that we have Seaside29 with its complicated dependecies, we find the
seaside crew developing their own way of handling this, since they
obviously feel that Universes is not the way to go for their multiple
target platforms.

Sake/Packages was designed to be able to define packages with
dependencies (so we have more duplication here), and to able to account
for variations between the potential target images in which to load, AND
for users to be able to add additional target variants of their own.

If you want a load script that loads into an image without Sake/Packages
loaded, it would be trivial to get Sake/Packages to generate one for
your particular image/target, based upon its dependency knowledge, and
this is the way that Bob will probably use to build Seaside29 one click
images.

Keith