Seaside FileLibraries and non-utf-8 - characters on deployment

Seaside FileLibraries and non-utf-8 - characters on deployment

jtuchel
This may be of interest to Seasiders who need special international characters:

https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/seaside-file-libraries-and-utf-8/

Nothing unobvious or complicated, just something to remember...

Re: Seaside FileLibraries and non-utf-8 - characters on deployment

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi Joachim,

Nice article. I had a similar experience once with Pharo and GemStone.
One of the biggest problems of Seaside and UTF-8 is the fact that the dialect of implementation/reference is Pharo. And Pharo has UTF-8 by default. Therefore, there are a lot of bugs that only appear on other dialects that do not have UTF-8 as default.
I think your idea of fixing #deployFiles is a good one. If you don't get much response in the upstream (github) Seaside project we can analyze to at least put it in VA port. My only recommendation would be not to hardcode to the UTF-8 conversion impl (like AbtCodePageConverter) but instead rely on "GRCodec forEncoding: 'utf-8" so that it's more portable.

Let us know.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 10:52 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may be of interest to Seasiders who need special international characters:

Nothing unobvious or complicated, just something to remember...

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.