Seaside One Click Experience on Pharo 4?

Seaside One Click Experience on Pharo 4?

Dmitri Zagidulin
Are there any plans to update the old Seaside One Click Experience for Pharo 4.0 (and the latest stable Seaside)?

And if not, what would be the level of effort required? (And/or, who would be the people to talk to, to set it up?)

The reason I ask is, users new to web development on Pharo overwhelmingly get recommended to use the One Click images.

- on http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo - "The Seaside One-Click Experience is the easiest way to get started with Seaside."  Uses Pharo 1.4, I believe.

- Learning Web Development with Seaside 3 (http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf ) also points to the Pharo download link above. Same deal, 1.4.

- Dynamic Web Development with Seaside (http://book.seaside.st/book ) also points to the One-Click.

- Countless blog posts / tutorials link to it.

- And, finally, Updated Pharo By Example (the Seaside chapter), also recommends the One Click image.

Given how much work the community has done since Pharo 1.4, would it not make sense to update the integrated images?

Re: Seaside One Click Experience on Pharo 4?

stepharo
It should not be that complex:
    putting the vm in the folder and the pharo 40 image + sources files.

Stef

Le 10/4/15 19:51, Dmitri Zagidulin a écrit :
[...]

(Just wanting to make sure this issue doesn't get lost in the general 4.0 release activity and celebration).

What's a good place to open an issue, as a reminder/to-do item to create a Seaside+Pharo4 one-click image? The general Pharo fogbugz?

Or, who would be the people to talk to? (Sean? :) )

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Dmitri,

not directly a one-click but in Pharo 4.0 you can load on your own:

 - open World menu -> "Tools" -> "Configuration Browser"
 - load Seaside directly (which as of today is Seaside 3.1.4)

After loading you can use  "Tools" -> "Seaside control panel" to add an adaptor
(see attached screenshot) and then browse Seaside on the defined port like
http://localhost:8080

If you like you can also load "Bootstrap" framework directly from the config browser
- which is a wrapper for twitter bootstrap (see http://pharo.pharocloud.com/bootstrap)

There is also work going on for a Seaside 3.2. Dont know about the timeline.
Ideally you should ask on the seaside-dev list:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev

Bye
T.

Gesendet: Montag, 20. April 2015 um 20:45 Uhr
Von: "Dmitri Zagidulin" <[hidden email]>
An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] Seaside One Click Experience on Pharo 4?

- on http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo[http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo] - "The Seaside One-Click Experience is the easiest way to get started with Seaside."  Uses Pharo 1.4, I believe.

- Learning Web Development with Seaside 3 (http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf[http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf] ) also points to the Pharo download link above. Same deal, 1.4.

- Dynamic Web Development with Seaside (http://book.seaside.st/book[http://book.seaside.st/book] ) also points to the One-Click.

seaside.png (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Seaside One Click Experience on Pharo 4?

Dmitri Zagidulin
Thanks, Torsten.
I will definitely include those instructions in whatever documentation I can get my hands on.

But that's *in addition* to advocating that we update our Seaside One-Click experience image. (For the reasons that I outline earlier in this thread, namely that the vast majority of existing docs (books, sites, blog posts) point new users to the One-Click images.)

Gesendet: Montag, 20. April 2015 um 20:45 Uhr
Von: "Dmitri Zagidulin" <[hidden email]>
An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>

- on <a href="http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo[http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo]" target="_blank">http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo[http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo] - "The Seaside One-Click Experience is the easiest way to get started with Seaside."  Uses Pharo 1.4, I believe.

- Learning Web Development with Seaside 3 (<a href="http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf[http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf]" target="_blank">http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf[http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf] ) also points to the Pharo download link above. Same deal, 1.4.

- Dynamic Web Development with Seaside (<a href="http://book.seaside.st/book[http://book.seaside.st/book]" target="_blank">http://book.seaside.st/book[http://book.seaside.st/book] ) also points to the One-Click.

Gesendet: Montag, 20. April 2015 um 20:45 Uhr
Von: "Dmitri Zagidulin" <[hidden email]>
An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>

- on <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo[http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo]" target="_blank">http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo[http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo] - "The Seaside One-Click Experience is the easiest way to get started with Seaside."  Uses Pharo 1.4, I believe.

- Learning Web Development with Seaside 3 (<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf[http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf]" target="_blank">http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf[http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/tutorial/chapter01.pdf] ) also points to the Pharo download link above. Same deal, 1.4.

- Dynamic Web Development with Seaside (<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://book.seaside.st/book[http://book.seaside.st/book]" target="_blank">http://book.seaside.st/book[http://book.seaside.st/book] ) also points to the One-Click.

- Countless blog posts / tutorials link to it.

- And, finally, Updated Pharo By Example (the Seaside chapter), also recommends the One Click image.

Given how much work the community has done since Pharo 1.4, would it not make sense to update the integrated images?

Re: Seaside One Click Experience on Pharo 4?

Paul DeBruicker
I'm against it without a commitment to also update all the docs that use the one click.  So its not just repackaging an image and vm into a one click experience.  Its a bigger task that will need weeks of work.

The docs are debugged and work.  Seaside hasn't changed much.  Pharo has changed ... more.  If the point of the Seaside docs is to learn Seaside then what is there now is fine.

Dmitri Zagidulin wrote