Seaside Scaling - How successful?

12

Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Rich-49
I've been looking for a framework that will grow with my company's
projected online growth rate and Seaside looks very interesting.  We
developed a Java based web site for a beta product, but I'm not happy
with the results or the amount of code/time required to make things
work with Java.  I'm looking for something that will have a faster
implementation and also scale well as we grow.  I stumbled across
Seaside on Blog post and thought I'd take a look.  Seaside looks like
it has some very nice features and I've been spending the last couple
of days doing some of the tutorials and watching several of the "Why
Seaside" talks.  Thanks to your community for posting those.

I do have some reservations about Seaside and I'm hoping that the
members of this list can point me in the right direction for the
answers or have some of their own success stories.  Here are my
concerns at this point in time:

Scalability - How does one scale Seaside?  I've seen GemStone/S to
help with persistence and using Apache for static content.  These seem
very logical, but I'm still wondering what it takes in hardware to
support 1K, 10K and 100K unique visitors per month to a Seaside based
site.  I know this will be code dependent, but I'm interested in
seeing 1) if its even possible to hit in excess of 100K visitors per
month and 2) what it would take from a hardware perspective to hit
this number of visitors.

Memory Requirements - I read in the archives, and I'm betting this is
an older pre 2.8 rev memory number, it takes 2M per client for
Seaside.  Is this still the case?

Hosting - What is the best way to host Seaside if you want to use
someone else's hardware?  Has anyone implemented an AMI on AWS for
hosting?

Success Stories - Any success stories where a site is servicing in
excess of 5K visitors per day using Seaside?  If so, what did it take
to get here and would you do it again?  How are you handling
persistence?  What is your limit based on current hardware/software?

Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a non-
Smalltalk developer?

Any information you could provide that would help me make this
decision would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Rich

Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

SeanTAllen

On Aug 18, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Rich wrote:

> Success Stories - Any success stories where a site is servicing in
> excess of 5K visitors per day using Seaside?  If so, what did it
> take to get here and would you do it again?  How are you handling
> persistence?  What is your limit based on current hardware/software?

5k visitors per day doing what?

5k visitors for an e-commerce site with limited interaction is
different than 5k of visitors to a social network site with longer
interactions times.

Perhaps, concurrent users would be a better gauge to ask about...

Dale as some interesting numbers in terms of Glass scaling in a recent
blog post:

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/making-_k-and-_s-optional-a-seaside-heresy/

RE: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Ramon Leon-5
> Scalability - How does one scale Seaside?  I've seen GemStone/S to
> help with persistence and using Apache for static content.
> These seem
> very logical, but I'm still wondering what it takes in hardware to
> support 1K, 10K and 100K unique visitors per month to a
> Seaside based
> site.  I know this will be code dependent, but I'm interested in
> seeing 1) if its even possible to hit in excess of 100K visitors per
> month and 2) what it would take from a hardware perspective to hit
> this number of visitors.
>
> Success Stories - Any success stories where a site is servicing in
> excess of 5K visitors per day using Seaside?  If so, what did
> it take
> to get here and would you do it again?  How are you handling
> persistence?  What is your limit based on current hardware/software?

http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/seaside/scaling-seaside-more-ad
vanced-load-balancing-and-publishing/

I'm doing around 80,000 uniques, just over a quarter million page views, a
month on this config on a single dual xeon dell 1850.  I've got two 1850's
for the site but one server handles the load easily enough I've kept the
second offline.  With 4 gigs of ram I still have just over a gig free and
the typical image runs at about 70 meg or so.  Rarely see the CPU spike
above 40% and it's mostly under 10% on average.

The site accesses all its persistent data through web services using the
Squeak SOAP client.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

jgfoster
Hi Rich,

Welcome to Seaside.

If you are looking at 100K sessions per month, that seems to be 2-3
per minute (am I doing the math properly?). I believe that most
Seaside implementations would easily handle 2-3 pages per second!

You mentioned GemStone/S (disclaimer: I work for GemStone), and we
have done some performance testing using various platforms. See Dale's
blog at http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/scaling-seaside-with-gemstones/
  for an analysis done many months ago. The general message is that
with a single CPU and 1 GB of RAM for a cache, you can look at a
steady state of a million pages per day (~12/second). If you need to
scale further, then you need to pay for hardware and software
licenses. Getting to 100 pages per second is quite doable; getting to
1000 pages per second would require some higher-end hardware. Dale has
set his sites on numbers much beyond that (10K to 100K per second),
but it seems it will require something other than an out-of-the-box
setup.

As to hosting, I recently set up a personal site on SliceHost.com. I
am paying $20/month for a 256MB slice and running GemStone/S on the
server. A very unscientific experiment was to open to the counter
application and click it as fast as I could. I got the counter to over
90 in 60 seconds, so was serving at least 1-1/2 pages per second (and
that is from a single client over the web; multiple clients should be
able to overlap without much overhead).

As to training, I will be teaching a couple tutorials at OOPSLA in
Nashville in October, one is on web technologies in general and the
other is on Seaside in particular. That would be one opportunity to
get some education.

James

On Aug 18, 2008, at 11:33 AM, Rich wrote:

> I've been looking for a framework that will grow with my company's
> projected online growth rate and Seaside looks very interesting.  We
> developed a Java based web site for a beta product, but I'm not
> happy with the results or the amount of code/time required to make
> things work with Java.  I'm looking for something that will have a
> faster implementation and also scale well as we grow.  I stumbled
> across Seaside on Blog post and thought I'd take a look.  Seaside
> looks like it has some very nice features and I've been spending the
> last couple of days doing some of the tutorials and watching several
> of the "Why Seaside" talks.  Thanks to your community for posting
> those.
>
> I do have some reservations about Seaside and I'm hoping that the
> members of this list can point me in the right direction for the
> answers or have some of their own success stories.  Here are my
> concerns at this point in time:
>
> Scalability - How does one scale Seaside?  I've seen GemStone/S to
> help with persistence and using Apache for static content.  These
> seem very logical, but I'm still wondering what it takes in hardware
> to support 1K, 10K and 100K unique visitors per month to a Seaside
> based site.  I know this will be code dependent, but I'm interested
> in seeing 1) if its even possible to hit in excess of 100K visitors
> per month and 2) what it would take from a hardware perspective to
> hit this number of visitors.
>
> Memory Requirements - I read in the archives, and I'm betting this
> is an older pre 2.8 rev memory number, it takes 2M per client for
> Seaside.  Is this still the case?
>
> Hosting - What is the best way to host Seaside if you want to use
> someone else's hardware?  Has anyone implemented an AMI on AWS for
> hosting?
>
> Success Stories - Any success stories where a site is servicing in
> excess of 5K visitors per day using Seaside?  If so, what did it
> take to get here and would you do it again?  How are you handling
> persistence?  What is your limit based on current hardware/software?
>
> Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a non-
> Smalltalk developer?
>

> Any information you could provide that would help me make this
> decision would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Rich

RE: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Rich,

Good to know Seaside is being evaluated for more high load projects.
We have no numbers because we are still in development of the app but you may
found interesting the architecture. We have made the app so it can run in worker
images without points of contention. Was made that way to allow smooth scaling
from 1 to N hosts tailoring our load demand.

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

Sophie424
"James Foster" <[hidden email]> wrote

> As to hosting, I recently set up a personal site on SliceHost.com. I  am
> paying $20/month for a 256MB slice and running GemStone/S on the  server.

Any chance you can post a basic summary of what you actually had to do e.g.
upload xyz, configure abc, go.

Thanks - Sophie

RE: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Ramon Leon-5

> Any chance you can post a basic summary of what you actually
> had to do e.g.
> upload xyz, configure abc, go.
>
> Thanks - Sophie

Slicehost rocks, they're very much aimed at developers.  You create a slice
in the admin tool which lets you choose between various bare bones Linux
distros.  Once created it gives you an IP address which you then ssh into
and as root and do whatever you please.  Basically that'll be securing the
box with a firewall, banning root from ssh, creating admin user that you can
ssh in as, enable him in sudoers, install and setup Apache and Squeak, and
you're done.  They have many great tutorials that walk you step by step
through all of this, except of course installing Squeak.

On a 256 meg slice you'll have about 200 meg ram available for Squeak, so
grab a mini image from the Seaside site, it has a much smaller memory
footprint than a full image.  With all my code loaded a mini image take up
about 20 megs of ram, less than half the size of a full Squeak image with
same code loaded.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Rich-49
Hi James, Sean and Ramon!

Thanks for all of your info, links and stories.  I was just scratching
the surface of this last week and you've pointed me in a direction to
find out more.  Based on the little that I've seen it looks like
Seaside is very capable of scaling.  Now its time to read some more
and come back with more questions.

Thanks again for responding to this request.  I can definitely say I
have not received the same responsiveness from other frameworks!

Rich
On Aug 18, 2008, at 12:55 PM, James Foster wrote:

> [...]
>> perspective to hit this number of visitors.
>>
>> Memory Requirements - I read in the archives, and I'm betting this
>> is an older pre 2.8 rev memory number, it takes 2M per client for
>> Seaside.  Is this still the case?
>>
>> Hosting - What is the best way to host Seaside if you want to use
>> someone else's hardware?  Has anyone implemented an AMI on AWS for
>> hosting?
>>
>> Success Stories - Any success stories where a site is servicing in
>> excess of 5K visitors per day using Seaside?  If so, what did it
>> take to get here and would you do it again?  How are you handling
>> persistence?  What is your limit based on current hardware/software?
>>
>> Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a non-
>> Smalltalk developer?
>>

>> Any information you could provide that would help me make this

stephane ducasse
Hi Rich

Our experience with getting good programmers to Smalltalk is that you
can get up to speed from one week to
three. Now if you can afford to pair program with somebody then this
is a really a huge boost factor.
The language is simple but knowing the tricks of the IDE is not easy
from books.

> Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a non-
> Smalltalk developer?

Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

SebastianHC
Hi Rich!

> Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a
> non-Smalltalk developer?

May be you won't start with seaside when you do your first steps in
Smalltalk.

I started using the Squeak IDE using the croquet framework. There are
plenty tutorials how to build your first smalltalk app.
have a look at http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb0.html. I think that's one of
the best ways to do first steps in Squeak getting an impression how to
use workspaces, browsers, maintaining the image,....

There are other tutorials too, but dmu.com offers a ver compressed way
to get an impression...

Switching to the actual TodoApp tutorial will be very very easy!

Sebastian

Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

David Zmick
Deploying Seaside - Easy, if someone tells you what to do ;)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Sebastian Heidbrink <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rich!

Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a non-Smalltalk developer?

May be you won't start with seaside when you do your first steps in Smalltalk.

I started using the Squeak IDE using the croquet framework. There are plenty tutorials how to build your first smalltalk app.
have a look at http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb0.html. I think that's one of the best ways to do first steps in Squeak getting an impression how to use workspaces, browsers, maintaining the image,....

There are other tutorials too, but dmu.com offers a ver compressed way to get an impression...

Switching to the actual TodoApp tutorial will be very very easy!

Sebastian

___________________________________________________________ Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger.yahoo.de

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Sophie424
Thanks Ramon, I may give it a go soon (have to overcome my Apache fears). Is
slicehost also a good choice for production deployment?

- Sophie

"Ramon Leon" <[hidden email]>

>> Any chance you can post a basic summary of what you actually
>> had to do e.g.
>> upload xyz, configure abc, go.
>>
>> Thanks - Sophie
>
> Slicehost rocks, they're very much aimed at developers.  You create a
> slice
> in the admin tool which lets you choose between various bare bones Linux
> distros.  Once created it gives you an IP address which you then ssh into
> and as root and do whatever you please.  Basically that'll be securing the
> box with a firewall, banning root from ssh, creating admin user that you
> can
> ssh in as, enable him in sudoers, install and setup Apache and Squeak, and
> you're done.  They have many great tutorials that walk you step by step
> through all of this, except of course installing Squeak.
>
> On a 256 meg slice you'll have about 200 meg ram available for Squeak, so
> grab a mini image from the Seaside site, it has a much smaller memory
> footprint than a full image.  With all my code loaded a mini image take up
> about 20 megs of ram, less than half the size of a full Squeak image with
> same code loaded.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Re: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Ramon Leon-5

> Thanks Ramon, I may give it a go soon (have to overcome my
> Apache fears). Is
> slicehost also a good choice for production deployment?
>
> - Sophie

I would think so, the Hacker News folks seem to love it which is why I tried
it out, so far it rocks.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Re: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

marze
Is possible to do it also with nginx? I mean, with ebb (ruby) I did
something similar
but is it worth of it?

El 21/08/2008, a las 1:38, Ramon Leon escribió:

>> Thanks Ramon, I may give it a go soon (have to overcome my
>> Apache fears). Is
>> slicehost also a good choice for production deployment?
>>
>> - Sophie
>
> I would think so, the Hacker News folks seem to love it which is why
> I tried
> it out, so far it rocks.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Re: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Ramon Leon-5

Don't know, haven't tried it, don't plan to.

On Aug 20, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Marcelino Llano Villa wrote:

> Is possible to do it also with nginx? I mean, with ebb (ruby) I did
> something similar
> but is it worth of it?

do what exactly?

Re: Re: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

marze
use nginx instead apache, i think is faster to serve static files, didn't?
is this technique called proxy pass? sorry  kinda newbie here
I believe this is possible, but is there a benefit on this with squeak?

here is my ebb (a ruby server for dynamic content) nginx conf file

user  www-data www-data;
worker_processes  5;
error_log  logs/error.log;
pid        logs/nginx.pid;
events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    include       mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    log_format  main  '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] $status '
                      '"$request" $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
                      '"$http_user_agent" "http_x_forwarded_for"';

    access_log  logs/access.log  main;

    sendfile     on;
    tcp_nopush   on;
    tcp_nodelay  on;
    gzip         on;

    upstream ebb {
          server 127.0.0.1:4000;
          server 127.0.0.1:4001;
          server 127.0.0.1:4002;
        }

    server {
        listen 80;
        server_name www.site.com site.com;
        client_max_body_size 50M;

        access_log /srv/www/site.com/shared/log/access.log;
        error_log  /srv/www/site.com/shared/log/error.log;

        root /srv/www/site.com/current/public;
        index index.html index.htm;

        location / {
            proxy_set_header X-Forwarded_for $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
            proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
            proxy_redirect false;
            proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;

            if (-f $request_filename) {
              break;
            }

            if (-f $request_filename/index.html) {
              rewrite (.*) $1/index.html break;
            }

            if (-f $request_filename.html) {
              rewrite (.*) $1.html break;
            }

            if (!-f $request_filename) {
              proxy_pass http://ebb;
              break;
            }
        }

        error_page   500 502 503 504  /500.html;
        location = /500.html {
            root  /srv/www/exceptions;
        }
    }
}

El 21/08/2008, a las 4:19, Sean Allen escribió:

do what exactly?

Re: Re: Re: Seaside Scaling - How successful?

SeanTAllen
for the apache setups i've seen documented, the nginx conf file below should work fine.

unless you setup that rails etc style caching,
this:

            if (-f $request_filename.html) {
              rewrite (.*) $1.html break;
            }

wouldn't be needed.

--

fyi there is a bug in that conf file.

you have:

        index index.html index.htm;

set as directory indexes BUT...

            if (-f $request_filename/index.html) {
              rewrite (.*) $1/index.html break;
            }

only checks for index.html

so IF you had a directory index of index.htm,
it would never get served. unless directly accessed.

On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Marcelino Llano Villa wrote:

[...]

.htacces in my apache root directory:

RewriteRule ^seaside/files.* - [L]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://localhost:8080/seaside/pier/$1 [P,L]

not the recommended way, using a virtualhost, but, it works!