[Seaside] [Seaside-dev] Seaside components

[Seaside] [Seaside-dev] Seaside components

Maximiliano Taborda
Hello.

I am thinking of using seaside to develop a web based application, but I really do not know how seaside can satisfy my needs.
I read the book at the seaside site and all is well with the development in the seaside-way.

Although, I have the following questions:
I would have components like a grid and graphs in my application. Is this possible?
I see that seaside includes Scriptaculous and jQuery, so could I use something like this: http://trirand.com/blog/jqgrid/jqgrid.html? This component (or any other like this) exists or, if not, how difficult is to build it?

Another example. Searching the web I found this thing called ZK: http://www.zkoss.org/zkdemo/userguide/. There are at seaside grids, graphics and windows as shown in this demo?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards.
Maxi

Re: [Seaside] [Seaside-dev] Seaside components

Carlos Crosetti-3
Certainly you have to code the seaside way.
You may combine the table and anchors xmtml elements to build a grid and there is a given sample named table report or so.

I coded for the Google Chat API and was able to shows nice graphs, if that is what yo are looking for, I am going t publish that piece OSS soon, bt ping me so I canforward to you in advance, now I dont have my home PC to share now.

2010/1/27 Sean Allen <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Maximiliano Taborda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello.

I am thinking of using seaside to develop a web based application, but I really do not know how seaside can satisfy my needs.
I read the book at the seaside site and all is well with the development in the seaside-way.

Although, I have the following questions:
I would have components like a grid and graphs in my application. Is this possible?

You could write components that create grids and graphs.
If you can do it in html/javascript, you can write a component in seaside to create a
reusable component to do the same.

I see that seaside includes Scriptaculous and jQuery, so could I use something like this: http://trirand.com/blog/jqgrid/jqgrid.html? This component (or any other like this) exists or, if not, how difficult is to build it?

There are none included w/ Seaside itself although someone might have written something like that. I'm not aware of it though.
The difficulty isnt that great, you are taking the html and javascript that would be used and write code that given a certain set
of inputs would create the appropriate output. Its basically the same as how it would be in any other language/framework except that seaside components are
stateful so in some ways, once you know what you are doing, its easier.

Another example. Searching the web I found this thing called ZK: http://www.zkoss.org/zkdemo/userguide/. There are at seaside grids, graphics and windows as shown in this demo?

I don't understand this last question. If you are asking if seaside has built in componenets similiar to that then the answer is no.

Yes, that was my question.

Thanks.
Maxi

My general statement would be, yes all of this is possible, the learning curve might be a little high for someone starting out with Seaside.

Re: [Seaside] [Seaside-dev] Seaside components

Maximiliano Taborda
Thanks Carlos, I'll be waiting to see that.