Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seaside Still has an issue in a clean Pharo6 image

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - inspired from Pharo days I’ve been relearning how to write web apps in Pharo.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that in a clean Pharo 6 image, when I load the latest Seaside (that now correctly shows the control panel) - I still get an error if I browse the counter configuration (and any configurations I make as well).

I get a walkback - "Seaside Walkback
Deprecation: The method Object>>#name called from WAClassListAttribute>>#stringForValue: has been deprecated. Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use #asString or #printString instead.”?

This error is because Pharo 6 has deprecated the use of #name in object, and it looks to me that WAObject should now override this method to avoid the deprecation.

I am also confused why in a new image there doesn’t seem to be a web server that is started automatically. I thought loading Seaside started one for you, but it seems that I have to launch my own eg. ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.

Is this correct? This seems to go agains the assumptions of pharocloud.com as well - as they mention that seaside automatically starts a server for you. Is this something that has changed? Do I need to provide my own “autostart” class if I want to try pharocloud (I’m guessing there is a startUp method somewhere that I need to override?)

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seaside Still has an issue in a clean Pharo6 image

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Tim,

> On 20 Jun 2017, at 19:28, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi - inspired from Pharo days I’ve been relearning how to write web apps in Pharo.
>
> Anyway, I’ve noticed that in a clean Pharo 6 image, when I load the latest Seaside (that now correctly shows the control panel) - I still get an error if I browse the counter configuration (and any configurations I make as well).
>
> I get a walkback - "Seaside Walkback
>
> Deprecation: The method Object>>#name called from WAClassListAttribute>>#stringForValue: has been deprecated. Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use #asString or #printString instead.”?
>
>
> This error is because Pharo 6 has deprecated the use of #name in object, and it looks to me that WAObject should now override this method to avoid the deprecation.

Probably not, in most cases the error is #name being sent to nil, which is basically sloppy coding.

> I am also confused why in a new image there doesn’t seem to be a web server that is started automatically. I thought loading Seaside started one for you, but it seems that I have to launch my own eg. ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
>
> Is this correct? This seems to go agains the assumptions of pharocloud.com as well - as they mention that seaside automatically starts a server for you. Is this something that has changed? Do I need to provide my own “autostart” class if I want to try pharocloud (I’m guessing there is a startUp method somewhere that I need to override?)

If you do

ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.

and save the image, the server will be there and running when the image comes back up.

This is how it has always been.

Since Seaside can work with multiple servers, you need to tell it what to you want.

PS: This is separate from Zinc that has a concept of managed servers, which are also kept running.

PS2: Technically, in both cases, the server are not really running all the time, they are stopped and restart automagically for you.

Sven

> Tim
> _______________________________________________
> seaside mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks Sven - I'd also missed the fact that you right click on the seaside control panel to add a server - although I think it's better to learn how to programmatically script this stuff anyway.

For the deprecation walkback - it seems that default seaside code in a fresh image is relying on #name in object for its configuration screens. As there is WAObject, this might be a viable fix - but conscious that I am still getting back up to speed on all this stuff I will bow to the experts, and try and learn from the responses.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Jun 2017, at 18:42, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim,
>
>> On 20 Jun 2017, at 19:28, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi - inspired from Pharo days I’ve been relearning how to write web apps in Pharo.
>>
>> Anyway, I’ve noticed that in a clean Pharo 6 image, when I load the latest Seaside (that now correctly shows the control panel) - I still get an error if I browse the counter configuration (and any configurations I make as well).
>>
>> I get a walkback - "Seaside Walkback
>>
>> Deprecation: The method Object>>#name called from WAClassListAttribute>>#stringForValue: has been deprecated. Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use #asString or #printString instead.”?
>>
>>
>> This error is because Pharo 6 has deprecated the use of #name in object, and it looks to me that WAObject should now override this method to avoid the deprecation.
>
> Probably not, in most cases the error is #name being sent to nil, which is basically sloppy coding.
>
>> I am also confused why in a new image there doesn’t seem to be a web server that is started automatically. I thought loading Seaside started one for you, but it seems that I have to launch my own eg. ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
>>
>> Is this correct? This seems to go agains the assumptions of pharocloud.com as well - as they mention that seaside automatically starts a server for you. Is this something that has changed? Do I need to provide my own “autostart” class if I want to try pharocloud (I’m guessing there is a startUp method somewhere that I need to override?)
>
> If you do
>
> ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
>
> and save the image, the server will be there and running when the image comes back up.
>
> This is how it has always been.
>
> Since Seaside can work with multiple servers, you need to tell it what to you want.
>
> PS: This is separate from Zinc that has a concept of managed servers, which are also kept running.
>
> PS2: Technically, in both cases, the server are not really running all the time, they are stopped and restart automagically for you.
>
> Sven
>
>> Tim
>> _______________________________________________
>> seaside mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
>
> _______________________________________________
> seaside mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

Reply | Threaded
|

Johan Brichau-2
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
Hi Tim,

Thanks for reporting.
I’ll take a look.

Just another example that shows I really I need to script those functional Seaside tests as Parasol tests… I’ve done a few, but more work is needed.

On 20 Jun 2017, at 19:28, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi - inspired from Pharo days I’ve been relearning how to write web apps in Pharo.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that in a clean Pharo 6 image, when I load the latest Seaside (that now correctly shows the control panel) - I still get an error if I browse the counter configuration (and any configurations I make as well).

Deprecation: The method Object>>#name called from WAClassListAttribute>>#stringForValue: has been deprecated. Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use #asString or #printString instead.”?

This error is because Pharo 6 has deprecated the use of #name in object, and it looks to me that WAObject should now override this method to avoid the deprecation.

I am also confused why in a new image there doesn’t seem to be a web server that is started automatically. I thought loading Seaside started one for you, but it seems that I have to launch my own eg. ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.

Is this correct? This seems to go agains the assumptions of pharocloud.com as well - as they mention that seaside automatically starts a server for you. Is this something that has changed? Do I need to provide my own “autostart” class if I want to try pharocloud (I’m guessing there is a startUp method somewhere that I need to override?)

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Tim,

3.2.3 is your bugfix release!

Let me know if anything else pops up.

cheers
Johan
On 20 Jun 2017, at 20:41, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reporting.
I’ll take a look.

Just another example that shows I really I need to script those functional Seaside tests as Parasol tests… I’ve done a few, but more work is needed.

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Hey cool - thanks.

When I get a bit better at this, I’ll learn how to write parasol tests and see if I can help a bit too.

Tim

On 20 Jun 2017, at 21:15, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim,

3.2.3 is your bugfix release!

Let me know if anything else pops up.

cheers
Johan
On 20 Jun 2017, at 20:41, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reporting.
I’ll take a look.

Tim