Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Dale
Is Seaside-Swazoo going to stay in its present repository or will it be moved again?

Dale

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Lukas Renggli
Its location never changed. The problem was more that it was committed
to the wrong place and that  people continued from there without
noticing. The problem should be solved now as each package declares
its default location and the scripts to commit have been updated to
take advantage of that information.

Lukas

On 22 February 2010 18:35, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is Seaside-Swazoo going to stay in its present repository or will it be moved again?
>
> Dale

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Lukas Renggli
Generally I suggest that anything referenced from a Metacello
configuration should be copied to a safe immutable location. This is
also what we do for our releases, see
<http://builder.seaside.st/distributions/>. Repositories are going to
diappear, packages are going to be deleted or moved. Nobody listened
when I suggested that in the Pharo list a few months back ... so here
you go :-)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Dale
Lukas,

I don't think it was accidental, I recall that there was an email exchange about Seaside-Swazoo saying that the Seaside-Swazoo package itself wasn't licensed under the LGPL, so it shouldn't be in the LGPL repository ... shortly after that mail the package was moved.

Dale

On 22 February 2010 19:11, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lukas,
>
> I don't think it was accidental, I recall that there was an email exchange about Seaside-Swazoo saying that the Seaside-Swazoo package itself wasn't licensed under the LGPL, so it shouldn't be in the LGPL repository ... shortly after that mail the package was moved.

Yes, I moved it from Seaside30 to Seaside30LGPL after the discussion.
The problem was that I didn't know where it belonged really, because
there were versions in both repositories.

Lukas

> Dale
>
> ----- "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Its location never changed. The problem was more that it was
> | committed
> | to the wrong place and that  people continued from there without
> | noticing. The problem should be solved now as each package declares
> | its default location and the scripts to commit have been updated to
> | take advantage of that information.
> |
> | Lukas
> |
> | On 22 February 2010 18:35, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
> | wrote:
> | > Is Seaside-Swazoo going to stay in its present repository or will it
> | be moved again?
> | >
> | > Dale
> | >

> | --
> | Lukas Renggli
> | http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Dale
Lukas,

It is easy enough to edit the configuration when things change out from under users. Metacello isn't the only thing that breaks when packages are deleted from repositories.

Seaside28 is stable so there isn't a need to copy packages from there, unless you plan to destroy the repository:)

Seaside3.0 is under active development and dealing with moving packages is just one of the many things developers and users have to cope with:) Seaside 3.0 hasn't hit beta yet, so things are expected to change ...

I was just surprised to see Seaside-Swazoo move again and half expected that it might be moved one more time:)

Dale
----- "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Generally I suggest that anything referenced from a Metacello
| configuration should be copied to a safe immutable location. This is
| also what we do for our releases, see
| <http://builder.seaside.st/distributions/>. Repositories are going to
| diappear, packages are going to be deleted or moved. Nobody listened
| when I suggested that in the Pharo list a few months back ... so here
| you go :-)
|
| Lukas
|

| On 22 February 2010 18:52, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Its location never changed. The problem was more that it was
| committed
| > to the wrong place and that  people continued from there without
| > noticing. The problem should be solved now as each package declares
| > its default location and the scripts to commit have been updated to
| > take advantage of that information.
| >
| > Lukas
| >
| > On 22 February 2010 18:35, Dale Henrichs
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >> Is Seaside-Swazoo going to stay in its present repository or will
| it be moved again?
| >>
| >> Dale
| >>

| > --
| > Lukas Renggli
| > http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
| >

| --
| Lukas Renggli
| http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Lukas Renggli
> Seaside28 is stable so there isn't a need to copy packages from there, unless you plan to destroy the repository:)

You never know: If there is an flooding in Bern SqueakSource might
die. We had water in the server room before. As it says on the
front-page, do not depend on it.

> Seaside3.0 is under active development and dealing with moving packages is just one of the many things developers and users have to cope with:) Seaside 3.0 hasn't hit beta yet, so things are expected to change ...
>
> I was just surprised to see Seaside-Swazoo move again and half expected that it might be moved one more time:)

But we are talking about Seaside 3.0, because I didn't touch Seaside
2.8 for a long time.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Randal L. Schwartz

Lukas> You never know: If there is an flooding in Bern SqueakSource might
Lukas> die. We had water in the server room before. As it says on the
Lukas> front-page, do not depend on it.

Well, Squeaksource might be moving soon anyway to a place that will likely
have less flooding. :)

Say, did you happen to delete Pier2 or move it around as well?

"ConfigurationOfPier2" fails to find Pier-Core now.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Dale
Where do you keep your backups? In case you are swept away by the flood too:)

Dale

----- "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| > Seaside28 is stable so there isn't a need to copy packages from
| there, unless you plan to destroy the repository:)
|
| You never know: If there is an flooding in Bern SqueakSource might
| die. We had water in the server room before. As it says on the
| front-page, do not depend on it.
|
| > Seaside3.0 is under active development and dealing with moving
| packages is just one of the many things developers and users have to
| cope with:) Seaside 3.0 hasn't hit beta yet, so things are expected to
| change ...
| >
| > I was just surprised to see Seaside-Swazoo move again and half
| expected that it might be moved one more time:)
|
| But we are talking about Seaside 3.0, because I didn't touch Seaside
| 2.8 for a long time.
|
| Lukas
|
| --
| Lukas Renggli
| http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Lukas Renggli
> "ConfigurationOfPier2" fails to find Pier-Core now.

Pier-Core was a long abandoned branch, I moved it away from the public
repository yesterday. Since 14 September 2009, 11:40:22 this package
is called Pier-Model as it used to be in older versions.

Lukas

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Dale
As of January 17, Pier-Core was still listed in the Pier2.st file on git, which is what I used to create the configuration.

Dale

----- "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| > "ConfigurationOfPier2" fails to find Pier-Core now.
|
| Pier-Core was a long abandoned branch, I moved it away from the
| public
| repository yesterday. Since 14 September 2009, 11:40:22 this package
| is called Pier-Model as it used to be in older versions.
|
| Lukas
|

| > --
| > Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503
| 777 0095
| > <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
| > Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc.
| etc.
| > See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
| discussion
| >

| --
| Lukas Renggli
| http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside-Swazoo moved (again)?

Dale
As of the latest 'Build #21 (Feb 22, 2010 8:46:12 AM)', Pier-Core is still being loaded as well...

Dale

----- "Dale Henrichs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| As of January 17, Pier-Core was still listed in the Pier2.st file on
| git, which is what I used to create the configuration.
|
| Dale
|
| ----- "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote:
|
| | > "ConfigurationOfPier2" fails to find Pier-Core now.
| |
| | Pier-Core was a long abandoned branch, I moved it away from the
| | public
| | repository yesterday. Since 14 September 2009, 11:40:22 this
| package
| | is called Pier-Model as it used to be in older versions.
| |
| | Lukas
| |
| |

| | > --
| | > Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1
| 503
| | 777 0095
| | > <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
| | > Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc.
| | etc.
| | > See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
| | discussion

| |