Seaside VM differences

Phil B
I just finished tracking down an issue that appears to be due to a VM
difference between the build that Seaside uses and recent Cog VMs (build
14.48.3164): the primitive call in DiskStore #basicEntryAt: returns 7
items using the Seaside VM, 5 using Cog.  The 6th item appears to be
Unix permissions and not sure what the 7th is yet but the net result
being that the File Browser doesn't work without a hack.  Just curious
if this difference will be resolved (i.e. merged into the main Cog VM)
and if there are any other known VM differences lurking out there? (i.e.
I'd like to use a common VM for my images whenever possible)

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Seaside VM differences

Paul DeBruicker
There isn't a VM built specifically for Seaside.  In the All-In-One's the stable VM for each platform is included at the time of the release.  It could be (rather likely) that they've diverged in a meaningful way since the Seaside release you're using.  For the next release the all-in-one (if it is built) will include the latest stable VM for Pharo or Squeak.

BTW - Which all-in-one are you talking about?  The Pharo all-in-one from here: http://seaside.st/download/pharo or the Squeak based one from here: http://www.squeak.org/Seaside ?

Phil (list) wrote
I just finished tracking down an issue that appears to be due to a VM
difference between the build that Seaside uses and recent Cog VMs (build
14.48.3164): the primitive call in DiskStore #basicEntryAt: returns 7
items using the Seaside VM, 5 using Cog.  The 6th item appears to be
Unix permissions and not sure what the 7th is yet but the net result
being that the File Browser doesn't work without a hack.  Just curious
if this difference will be resolved (i.e. merged into the main Cog VM)
and if there are any other known VM differences lurking out there? (i.e.
I'd like to use a common VM for my images whenever possible)

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Seaside VM differences

Phil B
Paul,

On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 18:17 -0700, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> There isn't a VM built specifically for Seaside.  In the All-In-One's the
> stable VM for each platform is included at the time of the release.  It
> could be (rather likely) that they've diverged in a meaningful way since the
> Seaside release you're using.  For the next release the all-in-one (if it is
> built) will include the latest stable VM for Pharo or Squeak.
>
> BTW - Which all-in-one are you talking about?  The Pharo all-in-one from
> here: http://seaside.st/download/pharo or the Squeak based one from here:
> http://www.squeak.org/Seaside ?

Thanks for your reply as it caused me to investigate further and this
doesn't appear to be specific to the Seaside image/VM after all (Seaside
was just where I noticed the issue.)  A little more digging found that a
base Pharo image has the same behavior (using the VM from
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.1-OneClick-Pharo2.zip both
the Pharo and Seaside images work as expected) so this appears to be an
issue related to the Cog VM and I've reported it on vm-dev.

Phil