[Seaside-WebToolkit] Suppressing post-load?

[Seaside-WebToolkit] Suppressing post-load?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
It appears that Seaside-WebToolkit specifies a post-load action to do,

Seaside.AAADocumentation new postInitialization

While it is certainly nice to be walked through the basic install for the
first time, unfortunately there's no easy way to suppress the setup without
modifying the main bundle. It would certainly be better to have a separate
bundle for beginners (SeasideTutorial is a good start), so that we could
pre-req the main bundle in our application and not have to worry about
suppressing the setup.

What do you think?

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: [Seaside-WebToolkit] Suppressing post-load?

Bany, Michel
Hi Boris,

You may want to try with the SeasideSettings parcel. This parcel
is available in the contributed/Seaside/BonusPack folder and should
be loaded first.

Once the SeasideSettings parcel is loaded, open the VisualWorks settings
UI. You should see a Seaside section (with nice Seaside icons from
Vassily),
where you can enable/disable the various Seaside post initialization
steps.
When you are done with defining your Seaside settings, then you proceed
with loading Seaside as usual. Please note that the Seaside settings can
also
be set programmatically, the idea is to be able to fully automate the
creation
of a Seaside application image.

I have no idea about how much the SeasideSettings parcel has been used,
since I did not receive much feedback on this. Therefore your feedback
will be very precious.

There are other options where you can write some Smalltalk
initialization code
in your application (using a Subsystem subclass for instance) where you
delete
or modify the setup from the Seaside install and/or create your own. I
have
done that many times, let me know if you would need further details.

Your post would have been better submitted to the Seaside mailing list.

Enjoy,
Michel.

You are suggesting that the beginners should perform multiple
setup actions while the experts would perform just one.

Former versions of the Seaside bundles were like that. You had
to load many different bundles depending on what you wanted to
do. You had to be an expert to setup an image with Seaside.
As recommended by Stephane Ducasse, I changed this so that
you can get Seaside running with just one click and so that
beginners do not need to become experts before they can try
Seaside.

Michel.

RE: [Seaside-WebToolkit] Suppressing post-load?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Oh I see the reasons for that very well. I'm just trying to figure out what to do in a situation where we have an application that pre-reqs SeasideForWebToolkit. As it is, it can't be loaded without developer intervention, which is not only inconvenient, but would also break the automated build process that we are considering implementing at some point.

Thanks for the good work by the way!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Michel.

RE: [Seaside-WebToolkit] Suppressing post-load?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
This won't really work when we just want to pre-req something from our main bundle, which is what we do now. So if I take a clean image and say, load our application, it'll load all of Seaside first thus letting it do its own initialization.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

You may want to try with the SeasideSettings parcel. This parcel
is available in the contributed/Seaside/BonusPack folder and should
be loaded first.

Once the SeasideSettings parcel is loaded, open the VisualWorks settings
UI. You should see a Seaside section (with nice Seaside icons from
Vassily),
where you can enable/disable the various Seaside post initialization
steps.
When you are done with defining your Seaside settings, then you proceed
with loading Seaside as usual. Please note that the Seaside settings can
also
be set programmatically, the idea is to be able to fully automate the
creation
of a Seaside application image.

I have no idea about how much the SeasideSettings parcel has been used,
since I did not receive much feedback on this. Therefore your feedback
will be very precious.

There are other options where you can write some Smalltalk
initialization code
in your application (using a Subsystem subclass for instance) where you
delete
or modify the setup from the Seaside install and/or create your own. I
have
done that many times, let me know if you would need further details.

Your post would have been better submitted to the Seaside mailing list.

Enjoy,
Michel.

OK, I give you a more detailed suggestion.

1. Load parcel named SeasideSettings

2. Create a new package, say SeasideForBoris

3. Create a new class of any name in this package, add the following class method
initialize
    "Sample Seaside settings"
    (WASettings default)
        optionCreateServer: false;
        serverType: #http;
        portNumber: 80;
        createHTTPServer: true;
        createSeasideSite: false;
        changeTimezone: false;
        administratorName: 'Boris';
        administratorPassword: 'Boris';
        silent: true.
    Parcel
        ensureLoadedParcel: 'SeasideForWebToolKit'
        withVersion: nil.
4. Add SeasideSettings to the pre-req of the new package

5. Publish the new package

6. Specify SeasideForBoris as the pre-req of your apps instead of SeasideForWebToolKit

That should work. At least this is the intention.
Best luck,
Michel.

This won't really work when we just want to pre-req something from our main bundle, which is what we do now. So if I take a clean image and say, load our application, it'll load all of Seaside first thus letting it do its own initialization.

You may want to try with the SeasideSettings parcel. This parcel
is available in the contributed/Seaside/BonusPack folder and should
be loaded first.

Once the SeasideSettings parcel is loaded, open the VisualWorks settings
UI. You should see a Seaside section (with nice Seaside icons from
Vassily),
where you can enable/disable the various Seaside post initialization
steps.
When you are done with defining your Seaside settings, then you proceed
with loading Seaside as usual. Please note that the Seaside settings can
also
be set programmatically, the idea is to be able to fully automate the
creation
of a Seaside application image.

I have no idea about how much the SeasideSettings parcel has been used,
since I did not receive much feedback on this. Therefore your feedback
will be very precious.

There are other options where you can write some Smalltalk
initialization code
in your application (using a Subsystem subclass for instance) where you
delete
or modify the setup from the Seaside install and/or create your own. I
have
done that many times, let me know if you would need further details.

Your post would have been better submitted to the Seaside mailing list.

Enjoy,
Michel.

Close enough, I figured as much and ended up with an almost identical solution yesterday. I didn't do the load of Seaside from it though, I just made sure I put it first in the list of pre-reqs of the main bundle. So far so good, but I still think it may be a bit awkward for some, not that I have any alternative suggestions at the moment.

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322