Seaside and high-volume websites

Nevin Pratt
I just wanted to provide a report to everyone on our experiences.  We have experienced very high volume this week, and Seaside has handled things just fine.

First of all, many of you might remember about a year ago I questioned Seaside's ability to handle high volume.  At that time, we had an image growth problem that killed the image after a few days.  I think it was due to a DOS attack at that time that we have not experienced since.

Anyway, we created a new doll, Avery, which you can see in the middle of our home page:

   http://www.bountifulbaby.com

A couple of weeks before we received our shipment of these dolls, we gave a prototype to a lady by the name of Carol Canale.  We also gave Carol one of our manufactured bodies-- ones that we manufactured here at Bountiful Baby specifically for the Avery doll.

Carol is probably the best reborn artist in the world.  She "reborn'd" the vinyl, and turned it into a *very* realistic baby doll.  It sold on eBay for $5600.  Here is the link:

   http://tinyurl.com/z7l8o

This auction was the highest selling reborn baby doll in eBay's history.  It was also the #1 watched auction in all of the "Dolls & Bears" supercategory on eBay most of the time the auction was on.  It generated a huge amount of interest in our Avery's, and our "pre-notification" list grew to an incredible number of interested folks, all of whom wanted to be notified when our shipment of Avery's came in.

So, when our first shipment of Avery's came in, I was very worried about Seaside's ability to handle the volume.

Well, our first shipment of Avery's came in on Monday.  We made most of them available to our customers on Monday.  They sold out within about an hour.  Then Tuesday we made another 160 available (our last ones from this shipment).  They sold out in 53 minutes.

And Seaside handled things just fine, without even a hickup (we are still running Seaside 2.3).

I just thought a lot of you might like to know.

Nevin

Re: Seaside and high-volume websites

Chad Nantais-2
Thanks for sharing this, Nevin.

May I ask how you store your data (object DB, relational DB, the image)?

Cheers,

Chad

On 6/7/06, Nevin Pratt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I just wanted to provide a report to everyone on our experiences.  We have
> experienced very high volume this week, and Seaside has handled things just
> fine.
>
>  First of all, many of you might remember about a year ago I questioned
> Seaside's ability to handle high volume.  At that time, we had an image
> growth problem that killed the image after a few days.  I think it was due
> to a DOS attack at that time that we have not experienced since.
>
>  Anyway, we created a new doll, Avery, which you can see in the middle of
> our home page:
>
>     http://www.bountifulbaby.com
>
>  A couple of weeks before we received our shipment of these dolls, we gave a
> prototype to a lady by the name of Carol Canale.  We also gave Carol one of
> our manufactured bodies-- ones that we manufactured here at Bountiful Baby
> specifically for the Avery doll.
>
>  Carol is probably the best reborn artist in the world.  She "reborn'd" the
> vinyl, and turned it into a *very* realistic baby doll.  It sold on eBay for
> $5600.  Here is the link:
>
>     http://tinyurl.com/z7l8o
>
>  This auction was the highest selling reborn baby doll in eBay's history.
> It was also the #1 watched auction in all of the "Dolls & Bears"
> supercategory on eBay most of the time the auction was on.  It generated a
> huge amount of interest in our Avery's, and our "pre-notification" list grew
> to an incredible number of interested folks, all of whom wanted to be
> notified when our shipment of Avery's came in.
>
>  So, when our first shipment of Avery's came in, I was very worried about
> Seaside's ability to handle the volume.
>
>  Well, our first shipment of Avery's came in on Monday.  We made most of
> them available to our customers on Monday.  They sold out within about an
> hour.  Then Tuesday we made another 160 available (our last ones from this
> shipment).  They sold out in 53 minutes.
>
>  And Seaside handled things just fine, without even a hickup (we are still
> running Seaside 2.3).
>
>  I just thought a lot of you might like to know.
>
>  Nevin

Re: Seaside and high-volume websites

Brad Fuller
Nevin Pratt wrote:
> I just wanted to provide a report to everyone on our experiences.  We
> have experienced very high volume this week, and Seaside has handled
> things just fine.
Can you define "high-volume" for you site?

RE: Seaside and high-volume websites

Blanchard, Todd
I believe Nevin uses Glorp/Postgres

Brad Fuller wrote:
Nevin Pratt wrote:

I just wanted to provide a report to everyone on our experiences.  We
have experienced very high volume this week, and Seaside has handled
things just fine.

Can you define "high-volume" for you site?

Nope :-)

I used to have tracking code in the image, but removed it long ago.

However, notice that all of the pictures on the site are being served at bountifulbaby.net.  That site does have tracking.

Tracking on bountifulbaby.net shows 40,750 requests on June 5.

Also, the issue is more than just page requests.  A very high number of visitors were buyers, thus stressing the entire order processing system-- shopping cart, automated address validation against USPS address database, automated payment processing (credit card as well as PayPal), etc.  There's really a lot that goes on in the background with each order.

June 6 data is not yet available.

Chad Nantais wrote:
> Thanks for sharing this, Nevin.
>
> May I ask how you store your data (object DB, relational DB, the image)?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chad

A lot of it is "in the image".  Some of it is to PostgreSQL.

Blanchard, Todd wrote:
> I believe Nevin uses Glorp/Postgres

I use PostgreSQL, but I phased Glorp out about a year ago.  Too
complicated, and too much of a moving target, and I found I didn't have
time to follow the target.

Nevin

Re: Seaside and high-volume websites

Nevin Pratt

> However, notice that all of the pictures on the site are being served
> at bountifulbaby.net.  That site does have tracking.

Minor correction.  Pictures are being served from bountifulbaby.us,
which is hosted at GoDaddy.

bountifulbaby.net is my own machine, and is set up to handle the
pictures with a single "switch" in the image.  It's my backup image server.

Nevin

Re: Seaside and high-volume websites

Chris Cunnington-5
Hi Nevin,

I'd like to know something. Pretend I'm a reporter. What would you say to
somebody from a newspaper asking you why you used the Seaside continuation
server?

Chris Cunnington

The Tomb Robbers' Club
A Smalltalk club
http://www.brokentomb.com

Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Hi Nevin,
>
> I'd like to know something. Pretend I'm a reporter. What would you say to
> somebody from a newspaper asking you why you used the Seaside continuation
> server?
>
> Chris Cunnington

There's no other web development platform on the planet where
development time is more rapid.  And for a startup that doesn't have a
legacy software albatross to worry about, the development speed
difference can easily mean the difference between success and failure.
The fact that it is niche technology is actually an advantage for a
startup, because it just makes it easier to compete with the big boys.

And, like Paul Graham said about using Lisp for Yahoo Stores
development, "because I could" (paraphrased).

Nevin

Re: Seaside and high-volume websites

Chris Cunnington-5
Thanks!