Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

Adventurer
Hi All,

I’m trying to use Pharo as a development platform for a GUI application, and have found it exceedingly tedious to create anything beyond a simple two or three pane GUI.

So I’m looking to Seaside to create the GUI, partly because it has great documentation, and partly because I can use CSS for a lot of the formatting.

So my questions are,
                    has anybody else done this, and what was it like?
                    Is there a way to create a pop-up window in Seaside?
                    Any other comments.

Craig

tty

Re: Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

tty
I would love to see an option to boot Pharo/Squeak with something besides Morphic and to have the Seasiside renderContentOn: idiom be the tool of choice.
I don't have the chops (yet) to implement this.

---- On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:26:10 -0800 Craig <[hidden email]> wrote ----
Hi All,

I’m trying to use Pharo as a development platform for a GUI application, and have found it exceedingly tedious to create anything beyond a simple two or three pane GUI.

So I’m looking to Seaside to create the GUI, partly because it has great documentation, and partly because I can use CSS for a lot of the formatting.

So my questions are,
                    has anybody else done this, and what was it like?
                    Is there a way to create a pop-up window in Seaside?
                    Any other comments.

Craig

AW: [Seaside] Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

Georg Heeg

Craig,

We have put seaBreeze on top of Seaside for exactly this purpose. You can get seaBreeze as part of Cincom Smalltalk (http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-smalltalk/try-cincom-smalltalk/)

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

RE: Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

Adventurer
> We have put seaBreeze on top of Seaside for exactly this purpose. You can
get seaBreeze as part of
> Cincom Smalltalk
(http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-small
talk/try-cincom-smalltalk/)

> Georg

Thanks Georg, however the Cincom licence is an issue to me.

Craig

Re: Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

fstephany
Some people used XUL for that but I don't know the status of the projet (from Smalltalk side and Mozilla side).

There are some possibilities with https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit and Amber. Node-Webkit is basically a Chromium window and Node.js combined together.

For example, LightTable is made with node-webkit and ClojureScript. Replace the latter with Amber and you might have a decent Smalltalk setup for Desktop app (depending how you define smalltalk ;))

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have put seaBreeze on top of Seaside for exactly this purpose. You can
get seaBreeze as part of
> Cincom Smalltalk
(<a href="http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-small talk/try-cincom-smalltalk/" target="_blank">http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-small
talk/try-cincom-smalltalk/)

> Georg

Thanks Georg, however the Cincom licence is an issue to me.

Craig

AW: [Seaside] Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

Georg Heeg
Craig,

Have you spoken to a Cincom sales representative to find a solution to you license issue?

By the way, seaBreeze has MIT license and may be ported to any other Smalltalk. We have tested, the task is doable. So maybe you can do the port to your Smalltalk system of choice.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

> We have put seaBreeze on top of Seaside for exactly this purpose. You can
get seaBreeze as part of
> Cincom Smalltalk
(http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-small
talk/try-cincom-smalltalk/)

> Georg

Thanks Georg, however the Cincom licence is an issue to me.

Craig

Re: Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

Pavel Krivanek-2
> Some people used XUL for that but I don't know the status of the projet
> (from Smalltalk side and Mozilla side).

It's called Phobos and it can be downloaded using Configuration
Browser in Phro 3.0.
https://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/

Mozilla XULRunner is and will be actively developer project and Phobos too.

--- Pavel

> There are some possibilities with https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit
> and Amber. Node-Webkit is basically a Chromium window and Node.js combined
> together.
>
> For example, LightTable is made with node-webkit and ClojureScript. Replace
> the latter with Amber and you might have a decent Smalltalk setup for
> Desktop app (depending how you define smalltalk ;))
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > We have put seaBreeze on top of Seaside for exactly this purpose. You
>> > can
>> get seaBreeze as part of
>> > Cincom Smalltalk
>>
>> (http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-small
>> talk/try-cincom-smalltalk/)
>> >
>> > Georg
>>
>> Thanks Georg, however the Cincom licence is an issue to me.
>>
>> Craig

Re: Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

fstephany
Really good to hear Pavel!
So XULRunner is still the foundation (has it always be?) for Mozilla products?

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some people used XUL for that but I don't know the status of the projet
> (from Smalltalk side and Mozilla side).

It's called Phobos and it can be downloaded using Configuration
Browser in Phro 3.0.
https://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/

Mozilla XULRunner is and will be actively developer project and Phobos too.

--- Pavel

> There are some possibilities with https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit
> and Amber. Node-Webkit is basically a Chromium window and Node.js combined
> together.
>
> For example, LightTable is made with node-webkit and ClojureScript. Replace
> the latter with Amber and you might have a decent Smalltalk setup for
> Desktop app (depending how you define smalltalk ;))
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > We have put seaBreeze on top of Seaside for exactly this purpose. You
>> > can
>> get seaBreeze as part of
>> > Cincom Smalltalk
>>
>> (http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/developer-community/trying-cincom-small
>> talk/try-cincom-smalltalk/)
>> >
>> > Georg
>>
>> Thanks Georg, however the Cincom licence is an issue to me.
>>
>> Craig

Re: Seaside as a General Purpose GUI

Pavel Krivanek-2
For a long time the Firefox is internally only a XULRunner
application. So XULRunner developmnet goes hand in hand with Firefox
progress. It may not last forever but to change it would require major
changes and break Firefox modularity.
On the other hand, FirefoxOS has no or very limited XUL support so
there is a question if the desktop versions of Firefox will not go
this way in (far) future.

But for now, XULRunner works, Phobos works, it's quite easy to use and
for some kind of applications it's ideal choice. And probably will be
as long as desktops will be relevant ;-)

Cheers,
-- Pavel