3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seaside bug revisted, and a question about #on:do:

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I just put the beta on a 64 bit machine.  Mariano's

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

got the VM running.  That was easy enough to find by searching the archives, but it seems like it should be put where is is harder to miss.  Any ideas as to where that should be?

To test the VM, I tried the web beta as-is, and hit the Seaside "a service is already running..." bug.  That got me thinking about things that might have been truncated/skipped due to the error.  It did not take long to see that #send:toClassesNamedIn:with: is already protected with #on:do:.

So what is all this about?  The error block catches Exception, and I _think_ I was told that was a bad idea.  That might be Dolphin-specific and not applicable here, but I thought it worth asking.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seaside bug revisted, and a question about #on:do:

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

got the VM running.  That was easy enough to find by searching the archives, but it seems like it should be put where is is harder to miss.  Any ideas as to where that should be?

Hi Billl.

It has already been discussed together with Damien and Miguel and it was put in the readme.txt of the latest Pharo Linux VM. If you see pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux  you will see that readme.txt says:

"If you have a 64-bit Linux kernel, you have to install the 32-bit
compatibility library. For example, in Ubuntu you have to install
ia32-libs:

$ sudo aptitude install ia32-libs"

Do you want to put it in another place? Where?

cheers,

Mariano

To test the VM, I tried the web beta as-is, and hit the Seaside "a service is already running..." bug.  That got me thinking about things that might have been truncated/skipped due to the error.  It did not take long to see that #send:toClassesNamedIn:with: is already protected with #on:do:.

So what is all this about?  The error block catches Exception, and I _think_ I was told that was a bad idea.  That might be Dolphin-specific and not applicable here, but I thought it worth asking.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seaside bug revisted, and a question about #on:do:

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Mariano,

Ok, so you hid it in the readme file :)    I had next to no trouble finding it in the archives, but it's such a small (but critical) instruction that we probably should put it on the download page.   There is already a "table" of vms; along with OS andalternative, we might add a release notes column and have a 64 bit link there??  The notes could also include things like dragging the image over the VM on windows, a sample shell script and mention of execution permissions on Linux.

BTW, pharo-project.org is really starting to look nice.  While I'm at it, on the home page under Quick Links, it might be better to replace "report a bug" with "Report or View Bugs" as that is what the link does - no big deal if others disagree.

Bill

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Mariano Martinez Peck
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:36 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Seaside bug revisted, and a question about #on:do:

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Billl.

It has already been discussed together with Damien and Miguel and it was put in the readme.txt of the latest Pharo Linux VM. If you see pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux  you will see that readme.txt says:

"If you have a 64-bit Linux kernel, you have to install the 32-bit
compatibility library. For example, in Ubuntu you have to install
ia32-libs:

$ sudo aptitude install ia32-libs"

Do you want to put it in another place? Where?

cheers,

Mariano

Bill