Seaside elements vs. HTML5 spec

davidbuck
The HTML5 spec is still changing and it's hard to keep up with the
latest changes.  Since I'm developing a Seaside course, I decided to go
through the current HTML5 spec (Editor's Draft 23 September 2011) and
compare what element tags are available in that spec versus the tags we
support in Seaside (Seaside 3.0 - 8 released with VW7.8).  In general,
Seaside has quite good support for HTML5.  Here are the differences I've
found:

Note:  I'm simply offering this list as information for anyone
interested.  I needed to research this for the course and thought it
would be good to share the results.

The following tags are inconsistent between Seaside and the current
version of HTML5
    mark   (already reported)

Tags in HTML5 not supported by Seaside (some of these are poor style and
should use newer tags but are still supported in HTML):
    hgroup
    figcaption
    i (should use emphasis)
    b (should use strong)
    u (shouldn't really use at all)
    bdi
    bdo
    wbr
    embed
    audio (interestingly, a WAAudioTag class exists with no call from
the canvas)
    track
    map (WAImageMapTag class uses an anchor tag)
    area
    output
    summary

The following tags are supported by Seaside but aren't in the current
HTML5 spec (no problem keeping them for backward compatibility but
perhaps they should be marked as deprecated):
    rubyBase
    rubyBaseContainer
    rubyTextContainer
    datagrid
    acronym
    dialog
    teletype

David Buck

Re: Seaside elements vs. HTML5 spec

Philippe Marschall
2011/9/25 David Buck <[hidden email]>:
> The HTML5 spec is still changing and it's hard to keep up with the latest
> changes.  Since I'm developing a Seaside course, I decided to go through the
> current HTML5 spec (Editor's Draft 23 September 2011) and compare what
> element tags are available in that spec versus the tags we support in
> Seaside

Thanks for the effort and sharing.

> (Seaside 3.0 - 8 released with VW7.8).

I don't know which Seaside version this is based on but the situation
in Seaside 3.0.6 is a bit different (see below). Most of the changes
probably come from Seaside 3.0.4.

> In general, Seaside has
> quite good support for HTML5.  Here are the differences I've found:
>
> Note:  I'm simply offering this list as information for anyone interested.
>  I needed to research this for the course and thought it would be good to
> share the results.
>
> The following tags are inconsistent between Seaside and the current version
> of HTML5
>   mark   (already reported)
>
> Tags in HTML5 not supported by Seaside (some of these are poor style and
> should use newer tags but are still supported in HTML):
>   hgroup

#headingGroup there but missing tests

>   figcaption

missing

>   i (should use emphasis)
>   b (should use strong)
>   u (shouldn't really use at all)

All of these are deprecated in HTML 4 in favor of CSS and intentionally missing.

>   bdi

#bidirectional, there but missing tests, should probably be #biDirectional.

>   bdo

missing indeed

>   wbr

#lineBreakOpportunity, there but missing tests

>   embed

#embed there but missing tests

>   audio (interestingly, a WAAudioTag class exists with no call from the
> canvas)

#audio, even has tests

>   track

missing indeed

>   map (WAImageMapTag class uses an anchor tag)

missing indeed

>   area

missing indeed

>   output

We have a WAOutputTag but it's never used :-(

>   summary

missing indeed

> The following tags are supported by Seaside but aren't in the current HTML5
> spec (no problem keeping them for backward compatibility but perhaps they
> should be marked as deprecated):
>   rubyBase
>   rubyBaseContainer
>   rubyTextContainer

Indeed, they seem to be replaced by rt and rp

>   datagrid

funny, yes missing

>   acronym

"deprecated" but still in HTML 4, therefore likely to stay

>   dialog

Indeed

>   teletype

"deprecated" but still in HTML 4, therefore likely to stay

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Seaside elements vs. HTML5 spec

Julian Fitzell-2
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/9/25 David Buck <[hidden email]>:
>>   bdi
>
> #bidirectional, there but missing tests, should probably be #biDirectional.

Not really - some people still hyphenate bi-directional I imagine, but
in common usage it has become common practice to write it as one word:
bidirectional.

Julian

Philippe Marschall wrote:
  output

We have a WAOutputTag but it's never used :-(

The method sampleOutput is marked as deprecated and says "use sample" then calls sample.  Is this what's supposed to be hooked up to WAOutputTag?

David Buck

Re: Seaside elements vs. HTML5 spec

davidbuck
Thanks, Nick.  I'll have a look.