Seaside hangs - what can I do?

Matthias Berth-2
Hi,

I have encountered some error in a seaside image that lead to a
hanging request. Then I opened a process browser and terminated the
process that was associated to the request. Everything seemed to go
fine after that. However, now (after some more requests) the image is
not responding to any HTTP requests anymore. Everything else (browsing
code, inspecting) works OK. I have also tried other applications, e.g.
/seaside/config - not working.

I am using Pier, with some persistency that is subclassed from
PRImagePersistency. The process I terminated was in some semaphore
critical section (guess: when doing the persistency). I am working
from Pharo core 1.0rc1.

My guess is that there is some semaphore involved, and maybe some
process that is needed for handling http requests is no longer there.

Is there a way to "reset" everything so I get HTTP request handling
back? I have tried NetNameResolver initializeNetwork without success.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent situations like this in the
future? Anyone have a list of "do#s and don'ts " when using the
process browser?

Thanks a lot

Matthias

Re: Seaside hangs - what can I do?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Matthias Berth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have no idea, but sometimes WARegistry clearAllHandlers.   help me.

Thanks a lot

Matthias

Re: Seaside hangs - what can I do?

Lukas Renggli
> Is there anything that I can do to prevent situations like this in the
> future? Anyone have a list of "do#s and don'ts " when using the
> process browser?

incoming requests hang. Signal this semaphore (there is a menu on that
process in the process browser).

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside hangs - what can I do?

Matthias Berth-2
JT, Mariano,

thanks a lot for these hints, I have tried both but it did not help. I
went back to an earlier image.

Cheers

Matthias

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also do a WAServerAdaptor allSubInstancesDo: [ :each | each kill]. in
> addition to WARegistry clearAllHandlers. Then I do a Smalltalk
> garbageCollectMost, and that usually clears up any issues that I may have
> caused, usually during debugger sessions.
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:27, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Matthias Berth
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have encountered some error in a seaside image that lead to a
>>> hanging request. Then I opened a process browser and terminated the
>>> process that was associated to the request. Everything seemed to go
>>> fine after that. However, now (after some more requests) the image is
>>> not responding to any HTTP requests anymore. Everything else (browsing
>>> code, inspecting) works OK. I have also tried other applications, e.g.
>>> /seaside/config - not working.
>>>
>>> I am using Pier, with some persistency that is subclassed from
>>> PRImagePersistency. The process I terminated was in some semaphore
>>> critical section (guess: when doing the persistency). I am working
>>> from Pharo core 1.0rc1.
>>>
>>> My guess is that there is some semaphore involved, and maybe some
>>> process that is needed for handling http requests is no longer there.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to "reset" everything so I get HTTP request handling
>>> back? I have tried NetNameResolver initializeNetwork without success.
>>>
>>> Is there anything that I can do to prevent situations like this in the
>>> future? Anyone have a list of "do#s and don'ts " when using the
>>> process browser?
>>>

>> I have no idea, but sometimes WARegistry clearAllHandlers.   help me.
>>

>>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>>> Matthias

> -JT

Re: Seaside hangs - what can I do?

Matthias Berth-2
Thanks Lukas, I'll do that next time. Yesterday, I did not see a
process / semaphore that might correspond to incoming requests.

Cheers

Matthias