Seaside hosting alternatives

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks,

I was wondering which are the seaside hosting alternatives in the market.

1) free ?  I only know seasidehosting.st but this, only support squeak 3.9.1. I would love to use pharo. Is any other free ?

2) pharo support ? any ? is on the plans of pharo getting a free pharo seaside hosting ?

3) For non commercial but with needs of several pictures o commercial application, any alternatives ? how much ? how can I contact them.

I tried to google a bit but didn't get any real results.

I think hosting is a very very important think for most of us. Is one on the think I put into account when deciding the technology to use.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mariano

Re: Seaside hosting alternatives

Miguel Cobá
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering which are the seaside hosting alternatives in the market.
>
> 1) free ?  I only know seasidehosting.st <http://seasidehosting.st> but
> this, only support squeak 3.9.1. I would love to use pharo. Is any other
> free ?
>
> 2) pharo support ? any ? is on the plans of pharo getting a free pharo
> seaside hosting ?
>
> 3) For non commercial but with needs of several pictures o commercial
> application, any alternatives ? how much ? how can I contact them.

I don't think that you can get something like this and only targeted an
pharo. For a free version it is very probable that when pharo release
its 1.0 version, seasidehosting will begin to support it. Remember, a
goal of pharo it is to run seaside applications, so when pharo is
released it will be a lot of people changing squeak for pharo to deploy
them to production. At least that is what I will do.
For the commercial one, you only have the option to rent a server
(vpslink, slicehost and friends) for a few bucks a month (from 7 I
think) and upload your pharo images there and administer them yourself.

Miguel Cobá

> I tried to google a bit but didn't get any real results.
>
> I think hosting is a very very important think for most of us. Is one on
> the think I put into account when deciding the technology to use.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Mariano

Re: Seaside hosting alternatives

Adrian Lienhard

On Mar 31, 2009, at 17:52 , Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> I was wondering which are the seaside hosting alternatives in the
>> market.
>> 1) free ?  I only know seasidehosting.st <http://seasidehosting.st>
>> but this, only support squeak 3.9.1. I would love to use pharo. Is
>> any other free ?
>> 2) pharo support ? any ? is on the plans of pharo getting a free
>> pharo seaside hosting ?
>> 3) For non commercial but with needs of several pictures o
>> commercial application, any alternatives ? how much ? how can I
>> contact them.
>
> I don't think that you can get something like this and only targeted
> an pharo. For a free version it is very probable that when pharo
> release its 1.0
> version, seasidehosting will begin to support it.

Yes, we definitely plan to support Pharo. At the current time,
however, Pharo does not work on SeasideHosting because it requires
changes in the VM (e.g., to support closures).

Cheers,
Adrian

1) free ?  I only know seasidehosting.st <http://seasidehosting.st> but this, only support squeak 3.9.1. I would love to use pharo. Is any other free ?
2) pharo support ? any ? is on the plans of pharo getting a free pharo seaside hosting ?
3) For non commercial but with needs of several pictures o commercial application, any alternatives ? how much ? how can I contact them.

I don't think that you can get something like this and only targeted an pharo. For a free version it is very probable that when pharo release its 1.0
version, seasidehosting will begin to support it.

Yes, we definitely plan to support Pharo. At the current time, however, Pharo does not work on SeasideHosting because it requires changes in the VM (e.g., to support closures).

Yes. It is true. Ok. I really don't need it right now because I am just starting coding, but I am planning the future :)

Thanks to both of you. I wasn't aware of those servers.

Cheers,
Adrian _______________________________________________

Re: Seaside hosting alternatives

drush66

Another alterenative might be running seaside on amazon ec2 service. What seems atractive to me on ec2 is adding servers when needed.

On Mar 31, 2009 7:21 PM, "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote: > > > On Mar 31, 2009, at ...

Yes. It is true. Ok. I really don't need it right now because I am just starting coding, but I am planning the future :)

Thanks to both of you. I wasn't aware of those servers.

RE: Seaside hosting alternatives

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
It certainly is a great solution, but you have to be ready to pay
because standard linux instance running 24x7 will run about $72/month
not including S3 charges whereas there's probably cheaper VPS hosting
available (like $50/month from MediaTemple etc).

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

________________________________

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
It certainly is a great solution, but you have to be ready to pay
because standard linux instance running 24x7 will run about $72/month
not including S3 charges whereas there's probably cheaper VPS hosting
available (like $50/month from MediaTemple etc).

I read S3 but seems to be intended to get lots of computer for a short time. If you want to host a webapp 24*7 I think this is not a great solution. Indeed, it seems to be more expensive.

I saw (as recommended) http://vpslink.com/compare/vpslink-hosting-plans/ and http://www.slicehost.com/ and for 20$ you have 10gb of hdd, 100gb of transmition and 256MB of RAM.

-Boris

<[hidden email]> wrote:

       On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Adrian Lienhard
<[hidden email]> wrote: > > > On Mar 31, 2009, at ...

       Yes. It is true. Ok. I really don't need it right now because I
am just starting coding, but I am planning the future :)

       Thanks to both of you. I wasn't aware of those servers.

       > > > Cheers, > Adrian

Re: Seaside hosting alternatives

Dale
Both James Foster and I have used slicehost for hosting our personal GLASS instances with good results.

Dale

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
|
| > It certainly is a great solution, but you have to be ready to pay
| > because standard linux instance running 24x7 will run about
| $72/month
| > not including S3 charges whereas there's probably cheaper VPS
| hosting
| > available (like $50/month from MediaTemple etc).
| >

| I read S3 but seems to be intended to get lots of computer for a short
| time.
| If you want to host a webapp 24*7 I think this is not a great
| solution.
| Indeed, it seems to be more expensive.
|
| I saw (as recommended)
| http://vpslink.com/compare/vpslink-hosting-plans/ and
| http://www.slicehost.com/ and for 20$ you have 10gb of hdd, 100gb of
| transmition and 256MB of RAM.
|

| > -Boris
| >
| > --
| > +1.604.689.0322
| > DeepCove Labs Ltd.
| > 4th floor 595 Howe Street
| > Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
| > http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
| >
| > [hidden email]
| >
| > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
| >
| > This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
| header.
| > Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private
| and
| > confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the
| sender
| > and delete the entire message including any attachments.
| >
| > Thank you.
| >

| > ________________________________
| >
| > From: [hidden email]

I use vpslink since 2 year ago and I am very happy. When testing
Gemstone/S I considered slicehost. They have the same prices.
The difference es: vpslink has Xen and openvz virtualization only for
32bit and slicehost has 64 bit hardware virtualization so it can run
Gemstone/S 64.

Miguel Cobá

On 3/31/09, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I read S3 but seems to be intended to get lots of computer for a short time.
> If you want to host a webapp 24*7 I think this is not a great solution.
> Indeed, it seems to be more expensive.

yes quickly scaling is what it does best, as far as I know. Though if
you commit to 24x7 than you can get better price for that machine. So
the setup I am aiming is 1 commited machine on ec2, and other go up
and down as needed. For one blog it is overkill, but for bigger app
might be a good thing if you need to scale (and many web aps need
that)

> I saw (as recommended)
> http://vpslink.com/compare/vpslink-hosting-plans/ and
> http://www.slicehost.com/ and for 20$ you have 10gb of hdd, 100gb of
> transmition and 256MB of RAM.

small instance of ec2 gives you 1.5 megs of ram (so 5 times as much) ,
and ram can be critical resource for seaside apps.

but this is all just theory, I have yet to see it how it performs in
real battle :)

Re: Seaside hosting alternatives

Даниил Баскаков-2
You may also consider Linode. Same as Slicehost but a little bit
cheaper. I've tested their support recently, feedback comes into
minutes.
--
Daniel

2009/3/31 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Both James Foster and I have used slicehost for hosting our personal GLASS instances with good results.
>
> Dale
>
> ----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>
> | wrote:
> |
> | > It certainly is a great solution, but you have to be ready to pay
> | > because standard linux instance running 24x7 will run about
> | $72/month
> | > not including S3 charges whereas there's probably cheaper VPS
> | hosting
> | > available (like $50/month from MediaTemple etc).
> | >

> | I read S3 but seems to be intended to get lots of computer for a short
> | time.
> | If you want to host a webapp 24*7 I think this is not a great
> | solution.
> | Indeed, it seems to be more expensive.
> |
> | I saw (as recommended)
> | http://vpslink.com/compare/vpslink-hosting-plans/ and
> | http://www.slicehost.com/ and for 20$ you have 10gb of hdd, 100gb of
> | transmition and 256MB of RAM.
> |

> | > -Boris
> | >
> | > --
> | > +1.604.689.0322
> | > DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> | > 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> | > Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> | > http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
> | >
> | > [hidden email]
> | >
> | > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> | >
> | > This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> | header.
> | > Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private
> | and
> | > confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the
> | sender
> | > and delete the entire message including any attachments.
> | >
> | > Thank you.

> | > From: [hidden email]

Martin Polák

I'm using http://www.webfaction.com/ and everything works well. There
is preconfigured Linux environment with Apache and other bells and
whistles, so you don't have to install and configure it manually. You
get SSH access and web-based configuration environment. Although
Squeak and Seaside application is not officially supported, you can
run Squeak without problems like Custom app listening on port.

Martin