Seaside on Debian 4

cnantais
I just did a fresh install of Debian 4 (Net-install image), installed
Squeak and fired up the latest developer image (-headless), but I'm
not getting a daemon on 8080.  I also have apache2 running on port 80
and I can reach that daemon no problem.

Any advice on where to look to fix this?

Thanks,

Chad

Re: Seaside on Debian 4

cbeler
Chad Nantais a écrit :
> I just did a fresh install of Debian 4 (Net-install image), installed
> Squeak and fired up the latest developer image (-headless), but I'm
> not getting a daemon on 8080.  I also have apache2 running on port 80
> and I can reach that daemon no problem.
>
> Any advice on where to look to fix this?

Did you test headed to see if WAKom is started ?
and did you fire squeak-dev (no seaside by default) or squeak-web ?

hth

Cédrick

Re: Seaside on Debian 4

cnantais
Cédrick,

On 7/13/07, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did you test headed to see if WAKom is started ?
I tested the image on my Mac and WAKom is started.  I can't test it in
Debian because it's a command-line only system...unless there's still
a way to test it when headless.

> and did you fire squeak-dev (no seaside by default) or squeak-web ?
Sorry, I meant squeak-web.

Chad

Re: Seaside on Debian 4

cbeler
Chad Nantais a écrit :
> Cédrick,
>
> On 7/13/07, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Did you test headed to see if WAKom is started ?
> I tested the image on my Mac and WAKom is started.  I can't test it in
> Debian because it's a command-line only system...unless there's still
> a way to test it when headless.
ok... was just to be sure ;)

you should test with display none (instead of headless), and then use
vnc to connect to your image (http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB for the
squeak vnc server). Test on the mac first. I think headless won't work
with vnc.

oh and maybe apache is configured in such a way it blocks/redirect
request to 8080. Is it a fresh config ? can you stop it ?

hth

Cédrick

Re: Seaside on Debian 4

cnantais
I found the problem.

No sources file.

This is the thread that clued me in:
http://www.nabble.com/Netstat---l-t2221455.html

Now, does anyone know how to pass in a port number to WAKom via an
argument in the command line startup, and how to get WAKom to start
with that port?

Chad

On 7/13/07, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chad Nantais a écrit :
> > Cédrick,
> >
> > On 7/13/07, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Did you test headed to see if WAKom is started ?
> > I tested the image on my Mac and WAKom is started.  I can't test it in
> > Debian because it's a command-line only system...unless there's still
> > a way to test it when headless.
> ok... was just to be sure ;)
>
> you should test with display none (instead of headless), and then use
> vnc to connect to your image (http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB for the
> squeak vnc server). Test on the mac first. I think headless won't work
> with vnc.
>
> oh and maybe apache is configured in such a way it blocks/redirect
> request to 8080. Is it a fresh config ? can you stop it ?
>
> hth
>
> Cédrick

Chad Nantais

http://myspace.com/chadnantais

Re: Seaside on Debian 4

cnantais
On 7/13/07, Chad Nantais <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now, does anyone know how to pass in a port number to WAKom via an
> argument in the command line startup, and how to get WAKom to start
> with that port?

Figured it out thanks to:
http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/scaling-seaside-redux-enter-the-penguin/

squeak -nodisplay production.image "" port 3001