Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi,

Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
VA Smalltalk.

Where is it available?

Regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Philippe Marschall
2007/5/24, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
> VA Smalltalk.

It doesn't. Slide 12 merely lists some other Smalltalk dialects. Slide
13 clearly states that it isn't available on VA.

> Where is it available?

It isn't however it should no longer be that hard to do. Continuations
are now only used for #call: and if you don't have continuations you
can use CPS.

Cheers
Philippe

> Regards,
>
> --
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

jgfoster
On Thursday 24 May 2007 6:00 am, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
> VA Smalltalk.

Actually, in our presentation, slide #13 of
http://seaside.gemstone.com/GLASS-StS2007.pdf states that it is "not
available (yet)". The "(yet)" was added at the show after Instantiations
announced that Seaside support was part of their "roadmap." I don't know any
more than that. I don't see anything on the Instantiations web site.

James Foster

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Lukas Renggli
> It isn't however it should no longer be that hard to do. Continuations
> are now only used for #call: and if you don't have continuations you
> can use CPS.

That's not entirely true, continuations are still used internally.
They are just not cached any longer. That's why Seaside 2.8 has much
lower memory requirements. If somebody is interested we can maybe get
rid of the continuations all-together when no #call: and #answer: is
used.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Sebastian Sastre-2

 If somebody is interested
> we can maybe get rid of the continuations all-together when
> no #call: and #answer: is used.
>
> Lukas

Lukas, I'm interested in knowing how Seaside could remain valuable without
#call: and #answer? You replace it with what? How the statefull effect is
archieved without them? There are concrete future plans on this? Which will
be the trend?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

John Thornborrow
I believe Lukas refers to using continuations only when #call: and
#answer: are used, not removing those methods entirely.

John
www.pinesoft.co.uk

Sebastian Sastre wrote:

>  If somebody is interested
>
>> we can maybe get rid of the continuations all-together when
>> no #call: and #answer: is used.
>>
>> Lukas
>>

> Lukas, I'm interested in knowing how Seaside could remain valuable without
> #call: and #answer? You replace it with what? How the statefull effect is
> archieved without them? There are concrete future plans on this? Which will
> be the trend?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sebastian

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Lukas Renggli
> I believe Lukas refers to using continuations only when #call: and
> #answer: are used, not removing those methods entirely.

Exactly.

Seaside is still useful, even if the underlying plattform doesn't
support continuations, and #call: and #answer:. You can always
transform

    A.
    r := self call: aComponent.
    B.

into

    A.
    self show: aComponent onAnswer: [ :r | B ].

that does the same without continuations. It is ugly, but it works.
This is called Continuation Passing Style. Of course traditional
#call: and #answer: will be supported on all platforms that support
continuations.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Blake-5
On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:41:06 -0700, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/5/24, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
>> VA Smalltalk.
>
> It doesn't. Slide 12 merely lists some other Smalltalk dialects. Slide
> 13 clearly states that it isn't available on VA.

Does VA Smalltalk still exist?

        ===Blake===

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Martin McClure
Blake wrote:

> Does VA Smalltalk still exist?

Yes. It's no longer supported and maintained by IBM (except for the
S/390 platform), but it is now sold, supported, and developed by
Instantiations, who seem to be moving it along quite nicely.

-Martin

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Blake-5
On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:48:09 -0700, Martin McClure
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes. It's no longer supported and maintained by IBM (except for the
> S/390 platform), but it is now sold, supported, and developed by
> Instantiations, who seem to be moving it along quite nicely.

Neat. Downloading now.

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

marten
Instantiation is looking how to support or implement Seaside
under VASmalltalk - that the message one gets from the
conferences or the VAForum in Frankfurt yesterday.

Marten

Esteban A. Maringolo schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
> VA Smalltalk.
>
> Where is it available?
>
> Regards,

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

stephane ducasse
They should contact lukas :)

On 25 mai 07, at 09:47, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

> Instantiation is looking how to support or implement Seaside
> under VASmalltalk - that the message one gets from the
> conferences or the VAForum in Frankfurt yesterday.
>
> Marten
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
>> VA Smalltalk.
>>
>> Where is it available?
>>
>> Regards,

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Philippe Marschall
They should buy me a beer :)

2007/5/25, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> They should contact lukas :)
>
> On 25 mai 07, at 09:47, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
> > Instantiation is looking how to support or implement Seaside
> > under VASmalltalk - that the message one gets from the
> > conferences or the VAForum in Frankfurt yesterday.
> >
> > Marten
> >
> > Esteban A. Maringolo schrieb:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Watching the GLASS slides, it mentions that Seaside is available for
> >> VA Smalltalk.
> >>
> >> Where is it available?
> >>
> >> Regards,

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

marten
Philippe Marschall schrieb:
> They should buy me a beer :)

Why ?

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Philippe Marschall
I like free beer :)

2007/5/25, Marten Feldtmann <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe Marschall schrieb:
> > They should buy me a beer :)
> >

> Why ?

Re: Seaside on VA Smalltalk?

Esteban A. Maringolo
On 5/25/07, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2007/5/25, Marten Feldtmann <[hidden email]>:
> > Philippe Marschall schrieb:
> > > They should buy me a beer :)
> > >

> > Why ?
> I like free beer :)

I like free beer too, that's why I posted the mail and didn't see the
slide 13 right after the 12. And kicked off a thread that deviated to
this :-D

Best regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo