Seaside on a stand alone server.

tgiaccone

I'm interested in putting together a small linux server that will support seside as a web application server.

I'm curious about what characteristics are appropriate?

Memory size?
Disk Size?
Linux distro?

I'll probably be using glorp and mysql or postgres on the same box.

Is there a consensus on which DB is a better choice?

Tony

Re: Seaside on a stand alone server.

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Tony Giaccone <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm interested in putting together a small linux server that will support seside as a web application server.

I'm curious about what characteristics are appropriate?

Memory size?
Disk Size?
Linux distro?

I'll probably be using glorp and mysql or postgres on the same box.

Just by curious, which Smalltalk are you using? VisualWorks?

Is there a consensus on which DB is a better choice?

Tony

Re: Seaside on a stand alone server.

jgfoster
Hi Tony,

I have a tutorial on how to setup up GLASS (GemStone, Linux, Apache,
Seaside, & Smalltalk) on a 256 MB Slicehost ($20/month). See http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/setting-up-glass-on-slicehost/
. As to the best database, why not use Smalltalk and avoid the O/R
mapping problems?

James

On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Tony Giaccone wrote:

> I'm interested in putting together a small linux server that will
> support seside as a web application server.
>
> I'm curious about what characteristics are appropriate?
>
> Memory size?
> Disk Size?
> Linux distro?
>
> I'll probably be using glorp and mysql or postgres on the same box.
>
> Is there a consensus on which DB is a better choice?
>

> Tony

Re: Seaside on a stand alone server.

tgiaccone
Yeah,

because my small little pea brain is trying to wrap my head around Smalltalk and Seaside I'm trying to minimize the additional layers above and beyond that. I know that some would say that something like GLASS or Web Velocity would simplify the process.  My feeling is that it's just more framework that I have to try and wrap my head around and I'm having enough problems right now just getting my head to work in the Smalltalk object paradigm.

My concerns with using just Smalltalk for the persistence layer is that eventually I want to integrate with something written in Java, or C or just provide a data feed through a desktop app. For me that suggests that a RDMS solution is more general purpose.  My guess also as I move forward if I can ever find someone who is willing to pay me for Smalltalk work, that it would be easier to sell a solution with an RDMS data store. In addition it's always possible that I might need to integrate with some kind of legacy data available only in an RDMS.  For all those reasons, RDMS seems like the "better" solution, even given the impedance mismatch between objects and RDBM systems.

I realize I could probably get the all Smalltalk solution to work as also, but for now I'm more comfortable with a RDBMS data store.

Tony

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:05 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rick Flower
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:02:37 -0500, Tony Giaccone <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> I realize I could probably get the all Smalltalk solution to work as
also,
> but for now I'm more comfortable with a RDBMS data store.

I'm using Glorp w/ Postgres and that's probably more 'standard' than Glorp
with MySQL.. It works pretty well once you figure out how to use Glorp
and map data types back and forth.. So far so good..

Re: Seaside on a stand alone server.

John Toohey-2
If you intend to use Glorp with mySQL, then you should take a look at SqueakDBX. It provides Glorp support for a number of databases, and it works well. More information can be found on their list at http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/squeakdbx and http://www.squeakdbx.org/

I currently have it running on the latest Pharo builds on OSX.

wrote:
> I realize I could probably get the all Smalltalk solution to work as
also,
> but for now I'm more comfortable with a RDBMS data store.

I'm using Glorp w/ Postgres and that's probably more 'standard' than Glorp
with MySQL.. It works pretty well once you figure out how to use Glorp
and map data types back and forth.. So far so good..

-JT

Re: Seaside on a stand alone server.

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:38 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks John for the marketing ;)

But yes, that's why I asked about which Smalltalk dialect was he using and that's why I imagined it was VW and not squeak or pharo.

<OT>
Our work with Glorp is in development yet. However, Esteban Lorenzano is using Glorp + SqueakDBX + MySQL for a customer in a real app. And we have most of the oracle tests in green. So, I think in a couple of weeks we will be releasing the first version of GlorpDBX (Glorp + SqueakDBX) supporting PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle.
</OT>