Seaside page design question

BrunoBB
Hi all,

I'm doing my first steps in Seaside.

Which is the best way to design a complex (in terms of design not
functionality) html page in Seaside ?

I know i have to subclass WAConponent and rewrite #renderContentOn:

But it is possible to design a web page with Dreamweaver (or another
design tool) and use it inside Seaside framework ?
Tell to a web disigner to create the skin of the web page and then use
that web page in Seaside.

Or i have to create small WAComponent with some simple design and then
use them to create a more complex design.

regards bruno

Re: Seaside page design question

Dmitry Dorofeev
Hi,

You can have something like

in your renderContentOn: method.

I.e. you just hardcode what your Dreamweaver designer provide
'as is' into Seaside. This is quick and easy to see page rendered.
But gives you a complete mess in terms of support later.
I personally don't recommend to do it for long term project.
Just asking your question and saying 'Yes, it is possible'.
Note, that in this way you completely missed the power of seaside. So either
you need another tool, or you have not get concept of seaside yet.

-Dmitry.

Bruno BB (st) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing my first steps in Seaside.
>
> Which is the best way to design a complex (in terms of design not
> functionality) html page in Seaside ?
>
> I know i have to subclass WAConponent and rewrite #renderContentOn:
>
> But it is possible to design a web page with Dreamweaver (or another
> design tool) and use it inside Seaside framework ?
> Tell to a web disigner to create the skin of the web page and then use
> that web page in Seaside.
>
> Or i have to create small WAComponent with some simple design and then
> use them to create a more complex design.
>
> regards bruno

Re: Seaside page design question

Cees De Groot
On 1/26/06, Bruno BB (st) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tell to a web disigner to create the skin of the web page and then use
> that web page in Seaside.

Let the web designer use CSS for the design, and provide HTML in
seaside. This works extremely well.

If you find that the web designer "doesn't want to do CSS", shoot or
fire him. Or both.

Re: Seaside page design question

BrunoBB
Dimitry,

> I.e. you just hardcode what your Dreamweaver designer provide
> 'as is' into Seaside. This is quick and easy to see page rendered.
> But gives you a complete mess in terms of support later.
> I personally don't recommend to do it for long term project.
> Just asking your question and saying 'Yes, it is possible'.

Thanks for this answer.

> Note, that in this way you completely missed the power of seaside. So
> either
> you need another tool, or you have not get concept of seaside yet.

I do the web functionality and the designers (who do not know anything
about Smalltalk) create  the  page skin.
This is my context.
But  if it can be done with CSS it's ok to me.

Bruno BB (st) wrote:

>> Note, that in this way you completely missed the power of seaside. So
>> either
>> you need another tool, or you have not get concept of seaside yet.
>

> I do the web functionality and the designers (who do not know anything
> about Smalltalk) create  the  page skin.
> This is my context.
> But  if it can be done with CSS it's ok to me.

Exactly. CSS is the way to go. The nice thing about Seaside is that
designer may change CSS per component online with a browser !!!

The seaside project must run in test mode for that.
Designer should press 'Toggle Halos' in the Seaside toolbar on the rendered page
in his browser. Each component is decorated with toolbar. So designer may alter
CSS for each component and see result right after that. His changes will be stored
in style method for the changed component. So you may be surprised to see changes
you never made :-)

-Dmitry.

> regards bruno

RE: Seaside page design question

Bany, Michel
Hi Bruno,

Something that may interest you.

Annick Fron has created an XSLT Smalltalk code generator that translates
XHTML
into a Seaside #renderContentOn: method. This would most probably work
with
Dreamweaver output.

Enjoy,
Michel.

robert gairns
Wonderfully insightful conclusion.

On 1/26/06, Bruno BB (st) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tell to a web disigner to create the skin of the web page and then use
> that web page in Seaside.

Let the web designer use CSS for the design, and provide HTML in
seaside. This works extremely well.

If you find that the web designer "doesn't want to do CSS", shoot or
fire him. Or both.

Re: Seaside page design question

Rick Flower
Bany, Michel wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> Something that may interest you.
>
> Annick Fron has created an XSLT Smalltalk code generator that translates
> XHTML
> into a Seaside #renderContentOn: method. This would most probably work
> with
> Dreamweaver output.

Michel,

Do you know if/where I can get the above code for the generator or
perhaps the contact info for Annick?
That might be a quick way to take existing XHTML that is generated by
some existing PHP code I've got
and to get it into Seaside as step 1 of several steps to moving some of
my legacy PHP code over..  Just
thought I'd ask..

-- Rick