Seaside scalability?

John Chludzinski
Does anyone have a measure of the scalability of Seaside?  What are some of the larger projects (web sites) hosted by Seaside?  The powers-that-be (here at work) are questioning this.  They are still uncomfortable using something "exotic", i.e. Smalltalk as opposed to Java.   ---John

Re: Seaside scalability?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Hi John,
Search the list a bit, you will find this has been talked about quite a bit.
In short, Seaside will not have a problem to scale.  You can easily distribute load with a reverse proxy.
As with any other web stack, you will probably have to look more at the database as the bottleneck.
Cheers

r.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM, John Chludzinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone have a measure of the scalability of Seaside?  What are some of the larger projects (web sites) hosted by Seaside?  The powers-that-be (here at work) are questioning this.  They are still uncomfortable using something "exotic", i.e. Smalltalk as opposed to Java.   ---John

Re: Seaside scalability?

jgfoster
Hi John,

What sort of scalability do you need? Dale has some good posts on
scalability at http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/category/
scalability/. Most interesting is his demonstration of 350 requests
per second on decent hardware.

James

On Sep 17, 2009, at 2:04 PM, John Chludzinski wrote:

> Does anyone have a measure of the scalability of Seaside?  What are
> some of the larger projects (web sites) hosted by Seaside?  The
> powers-that-be (here at work) are questioning this.  They are still
> uncomfortable using something "exotic", i.e. Smalltalk as opposed to
> Java.   ---John

Re: Seaside scalability?

Philippe Marschall
2009/9/17 John Chludzinski <[hidden email]>:
> Does anyone have a measure of the scalability of Seaside?  What are some of
> the larger projects (web sites) hosted by Seaside?  The powers-that-be (here
> at work) are questioning this.  They are still uncomfortable using something
> "exotic", i.e. Smalltalk as opposed to Java.   ---John

Are you sure they meant scalability and not something else like
perfomance? Pretty much anything that doesn't need session replication
for failover recovery scales more or less linearly. I doubt that's the
information they are looking for.

If you need session replication GemStone is the only Smalltalk dialect
that will do. And take that 350 req/s with a grain of salt, that
requires hacks into Seaside and your code that are by no means
standard.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Seaside scalability?

Dale
Philippe,

You are right that the 350 request/second benchmark was done with custom seaside and application mods.

This post (http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/scaling-seaside-with-gemstones/) provides information on benchmark runs of up to 230 requests/second on a 4 core machine with no custom mods to seaside or the application.

Still benchmarks are benchmarks.

The benchmarks do demonstrate the feasibility of taking a Seaside application that was developed to run in a single Squeak/Pharo image and deploying it (unmodified) in a system with multiple GemStone vms running across multiple cores (leveraging shared session state across vms).

Dale