Seasidehosting hanging problem

cedreek
Hi,

Is it me or seasidehosting has problems now ?

Seasidehosting is hanging here. First, I find it very slow to access
hosted web site since a week.
Second, now I can login but I just cannot access either the status or
the filesystem links.

TIA,

--
Cédrick

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

Bernat Romagosa
Same here!

Amd my image works for like half a day and then goes off :(

2009/4/9 Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Is it me or seasidehosting has problems now ?

Seasidehosting is hanging here. First, I find it very slow to access
hosted web site since a week.
Second, now I can login but I just cannot access either the status or
the filesystem links.

TIA,

--
Cédrick

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Cédrick,

Indeed there was a problem with the management interface of Seaside
Hosting (A squeak process got out of control and used up all memory.
Therefore it was slow and some parts of the interface were not
responding at all). We fixed it.

@AxiNat: this is not related to your image "going off" as it only
affected the management interface. I suggest to consult the log files
that you find in the menu at the left hand side to check out whether
your image prints a stack trace to the debug log or the VM prints some
message to the error log before it dies.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Apr 9, 2009, at 12:30 , AxiNat wrote:

> Same here!
>
> Amd my image works for like half a day and then goes off :(
>
> 2009/4/9 Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it me or seasidehosting has problems now ?
>>
>> Seasidehosting is hanging here. First, I find it very slow to access
>> hosted web site since a week.
>> Second, now I can login but I just cannot access either the status or
>> the filesystem links.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> --
>> Cédrick

> O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

cedreek
Thanks a lot Adrian :)  ...

2009/4/9 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Cédrick,
>
> Indeed there was a problem with the management interface of Seaside Hosting
> (A squeak process got out of control and used up all memory. Therefore it
> was slow and some parts of the interface were not responding at all). We
> fixed it.
>
> @AxiNat: this is not related to your image "going off" as it only affected
> the management interface. I suggest to consult the log files that you find
> in the menu at the left hand side to check out whether your image prints a
> stack trace to the debug log or the VM prints some message to the error log
> before it dies.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> On Apr 9, 2009, at 12:30 , AxiNat wrote:
>
>> Same here!
>>
>> Amd my image works for like half a day and then goes off :(
>>
>> 2009/4/9 Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it me or seasidehosting has problems now ?
>>>
>>> Seasidehosting is hanging here. First, I find it very slow to access
>>> hosted web site since a week.
>>> Second, now I can login but I just cannot access either the status or
>>> the filesystem links.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cédrick
>>>

>> --
>> O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Cédrick

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

NorbertHartl
On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 14:42 +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi Cédrick,
>
> Indeed there was a problem with the management interface of Seaside
> Hosting (A squeak process got out of control and used up all memory.
> Therefore it was slow and some parts of the interface were not
> responding at all). We fixed it.
>
> @AxiNat: this is not related to your image "going off" as it only
> affected the management interface. I suggest to consult the log files
> that you find in the menu at the left hand side to check out whether
> your image prints a stack trace to the debug log or the VM prints some
> message to the error log before it dies.

If I remember correct seasidehosting using running on linux. Do you
know the ulimit command? It lets you restrict processes so that it
cannot eat up all memory.

FYI,

Norbert

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> On Apr 9, 2009, at 12:30 , AxiNat wrote:
>
> > Same here!
> >
> > Amd my image works for like half a day and then goes off :(
> >
> > 2009/4/9 Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is it me or seasidehosting has problems now ?
> >>
> >> Seasidehosting is hanging here. First, I find it very slow to access
> >> hosted web site since a week.
> >> Second, now I can login but I just cannot access either the status or
> >> the filesystem links.
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cédrick
> >>

> > --
> > O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, we do that. Therefore it did not affect other images running on
the seaside hosting server.

Thanks,
Adrian

On Apr 9, 2009, at 17:58 , Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 14:42 +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>> Hi Cédrick,
>>
>> Indeed there was a problem with the management interface of Seaside
>> Hosting (A squeak process got out of control and used up all memory.
>> Therefore it was slow and some parts of the interface were not
>> responding at all). We fixed it.
>>
>> @AxiNat: this is not related to your image "going off" as it only
>> affected the management interface. I suggest to consult the log files
>> that you find in the menu at the left hand side to check out whether
>> your image prints a stack trace to the debug log or the VM prints
>> some
>> message to the error log before it dies.
>>
> If I remember correct seasidehosting using running on linux. Do you
> know the ulimit command? It lets you restrict processes so that it
> cannot eat up all memory.
>
> FYI,
>
> Norbert
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>

>> On Apr 9, 2009, at 12:30 , AxiNat wrote:
>>
>>> Same here!

>>> --
>>> O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

Owen Densmore
Somewhat OT, but ..

What are the requirements for hosting seaside?

Is it likely that I could host my own seaside service on my shared
hosting account (on Joyent)?  Or possibly on Aptana, the new Joyent
webapp partner?

     -- Owen

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

jgfoster
On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:

> What are the requirements for hosting seaside?
>
> Is it likely that I could host my own seaside service on my shared
> hosting account (on Joyent)?  Or possibly on Aptana, the new Joyent
> webapp partner?
>
>    -- Owen

See http://programminggems.wordpress.com/directory/ for a series of
instructions (with screencasts) showing how to set up Seaside (in
GemStone) on SliceHost.

James

On Apr 9, 2009, at 11:53 AM, James Foster wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:
>
>> What are the requirements for hosting seaside?
>>
>> Is it likely that I could host my own seaside service on my shared
>> hosting account (on Joyent)?  Or possibly on Aptana, the new Joyent
>> webapp partner?
>>
>>   -- Owen
>
> See http://programminggems.wordpress.com/directory/ for a series of
> instructions (with screencasts) showing how to set up Seaside (in
> GemStone) on SliceHost.
>
> James

Thanks James.

OK, this solution basically is at the Dedicated Hosting end of the
spectrum: you basically get a virtual computer in the cloud.  Amazon
EC2 style, say.  The good news you can do everything.  The bad news is
that you have to!  All the good/bad/ugly of root.

But simpler Shared Hosting is at the other end of the spectrum: They
give you a set of services (LAMP basically) and some easily
installable and updatable content management systems (Blogs, Forums,
Wikis, CVS/SVN/GIT, and so on) .. and naturally email.  They include
ssh and install-it-yourself capabilities as long as you don't have to
be root.  Joyent's shared is a good example.

New specialized hosting, for web apps, are appearing too: Google App
Engine and Joyent's Aptana partnership.  Extremely programmer
friendly.  And Google has just introduced Java into the offering.
Slice host is a root sorta critter and I think is more at the
Dedicated end.

So what I'd be interested in is seaside hosted in the easier end:
either on a webapp provider like GAE and Aptana, or a Shared provider.

The coolest solution for me would be a seaside using the JVM rather
than the usual smalltalk VM. This would potentially get seaside on
GAE.  That would rock!

     -- Owen

Re: Seasidehosting hanging problem

Lorenzo