Seasidehosting not working ?

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Adrian Lienhard
One possible problem with new images on SeasideHosting is that if an image has been saved with a Cog VM, it cannot be run anymore with a standard VM (like the one on SeasideHosting).

Adrian

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

cdelaunay
This is still not working for me too:

[hidden email]

2010/12/25 Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]>
The uploaded image Pier.image is working with non COG VM
So this is not the problem.
The website is cyclades.seasidehosting.st

Still Bad gateway error.

Hilaire

Le 21/12/2010 12:58, Adrian Lienhard a écrit :
> One possible problem with new images on SeasideHosting is that if an image has been saved with a Cog VM, it cannot be run anymore with a standard VM (like the one on SeasideHosting).
>
> Adrian
>
> On Dec 19, 2010, at 10:08 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
>> I still have probleme to make working seaside hosting.
>>
>> I took a fresh image from the last pier one-click distribution  (no save
>> operation from the image), upload it to cyclades.seasidehosting.st, but
>> still the image can't be runned.
>>
>> Hilaire
>>
>> --
>> Education 0.2 -- http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Education 0.2 -- http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Adrian Lienhard
Apparently all newly created accounts have been affected by a recent change (they were correctly created but didn't start images). I've fixed these accounts. In particular:

cyclades.seasidehosting.st
thiago.seasidehosting.st
menssana.seasidehosting.st

The first two started up the images as expected. menssana also started but appears to have an additional problem (the uploaded image crashes on startup). Cyrille, if you need help with this, let me know.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Cheers,
Adrian

On Dec 27, 2010, at 11:28 , Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> This is still not working for me too:
>
> [hidden email]
>
> 2010/12/25 Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]>
>
>> The uploaded image Pier.image is working with non COG VM
>> So this is not the problem.
>> The website is cyclades.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> Still Bad gateway error.
>>
>> Hilaire
>>

>> Le 21/12/2010 12:58, Adrian Lienhard a écrit :
>>> One possible problem with new images on SeasideHosting is that if an
>> image has been saved with a Cog VM, it cannot be run anymore with a standard
>> VM (like the one on SeasideHosting).
>>>
>>> Adrian

>> --
>> Education 0.2 -- http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Allan
Hi, I can only get a 2.84 image working on seaside hosting account, but I am
trying to use the examples in the book and they seem to be based on 3.x
image.  Every time I try the 3.06 image I get the "Bad Gateway" error
and "Could not start image" messages.

Can you help?  allanneil.seasidehosting.st

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Nick
Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with seasidehosting.st.

Non cog-vm can be downloaded from either:

HTH

Nick

On 13 January 2012 04:34, Allan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I can only get a 2.84 image working on seaside hosting account, but I am
trying to use the examples in the book and they seem to be based on 3.x
image.  Every time I try the 3.06 image I get the "Bad Gateway" error
and "Could not start image" messages.

Can you help?  allanneil.seasidehosting.st

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

laurent laffont
Hi Allan,

if you want to be a tester, Romain and I may have some time for smallharbour support next week.

SmallHarbour is a public seasidehosting fork. It's running cog.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
Developer group: http://www.cara74.org
Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Pharo web deployment: http://www.alpha.smallharbour.org

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with seasidehosting.st.

Non cog-vm can be downloaded from either:

HTH

Nick

On 13 January 2012 04:34, Allan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I can only get a 2.84 image working on seaside hosting account, but I am
trying to use the examples in the book and they seem to be based on 3.x
image.  Every time I try the 3.06 image I get the "Bad Gateway" error
and "Could not start image" messages.

Can you help?  allanneil.seasidehosting.st

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Nick Ager wrote:

> Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that
> if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with
> seasidehosting.st.
>
> Non cog-vm can be downloaded from either:
>
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/

All of those VM are all CogVMs.

Levente

> http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html
>
> HTH
>
> Nick
>
> On 13 January 2012 04:34, Allan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I can only get a 2.84 image working on seaside hosting account, but I
>> am
>> trying to use the examples in the book and they seem to be based on 3.x
>> image.  Every time I try the 3.06 image I get the "Bad Gateway" error
>> and "Could not start image" messages.
>>
>> Can you help?  allanneil.seasidehosting.st

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Nick
Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that
if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with
seasidehosting.st.

Non cog-vm can be downloaded from either:

https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/

All of those VM are all CogVMs.

 OK anyone know where to download non-CogVM VMs?

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

Paul DeBruicker

I get the linux non-cog VM (which I thought was also called the stack or
interpreter VM) from here:

http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

Specifically this file:
http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.sh

There is one on the unix page for Mac.

I don't know about windows.

Did Allan mention what platform he was using?

On 12-01-13 12:16 PM, Nick Ager wrote:

>         Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I
>         found that
>         if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with
>         seasidehosting.st <http://seasidehosting.st>.
>
>         Non cog-vm can be downloaded from either:
>
>         https://ci.lille.inria.fr/__pharo/view/VM/
>         <https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/>
>

>     All of those VM are all CogVMs.
>

>   OK anyone know where to download non-CogVM VMs?

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:16:46PM +0000, Nick Ager wrote:

> > Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that
> >> if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with
> >> seasidehosting.st.
> >>
> >> Non cog-vm can be downloaded from either:
> >>
> >> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/**pharo/view/VM/<https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/>
> >>

> > All of those VM are all CogVMs.
>

>  OK anyone know where to download non-CogVM VMs?

The VMs for all platforms are at <http://squeakvm.org> along with links to
the Cog VMs.

Any recent Squeak VM can run a wide range of images, including those
intended for Cog as well as older images that may have been produced
before Cog was widely available.

Cog VMs provide significantly better performance, but are not able to
run some older images.

I would guess from the original post that seasidehosting is probably
running an outdated standard Squeak VM. If this could be updated to a
current Squeak VM, it would be then possible to run a wide range of
Seaside images. If support for older images is not an issue, then a
Cog VM could be used instead. However, I would guess that some images
on seasidehosting may not be based on the latest Squeak or Pharo
releases, in which case a standard VM would still be the better choice.

In summary, what is most likely needed is just for seasidehosting
to update its VM to a more recent version from squeakvm.org.

HTH,
Dave

Re: Seasidehosting not working ?

fstephany
I think the VMs used by seasidehosting are patched to restrict the user
in some ways, I guess it is not that trivial to make the changes.

If i'm correct, Laurent and Romain have made those modifications on a
CogVM. See the Smallharbour project.

On 13/01/12 18:33, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:16:46PM +0000, Nick Ager wrote:
>>>
>>> Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that

>>> All of those VM are all CogVMs.
>>

>>   OK anyone know where to download non-CogVM VMs?
>
> The VMs for all platforms are at<http://squeakvm.org>  along with links to
> the Cog VMs.
>
> Any recent Squeak VM can run a wide range of images, including those
> intended for Cog as well as older images that may have been produced
> before Cog was widely available.
>
> Cog VMs provide significantly better performance, but are not able to
> run some older images.
>
> I would guess from the original post that seasidehosting is probably
> running an outdated standard Squeak VM. If this could be updated to a
> current Squeak VM, it would be then possible to run a wide range of
> Seaside images. If support for older images is not an issue, then a
> Cog VM could be used instead. However, I would guess that some images
> on seasidehosting may not be based on the latest Squeak or Pharo
> releases, in which case a standard VM would still be the better choice.
>
> In summary, what is most likely needed is just for seasidehosting
> to update its VM to a more recent version from squeakvm.org.
>
> HTH,
> Dave

http://tulipemoutarde.be
BE: +32 (0)65 709 131
CA: +1 778 558 3225

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 07:25:50PM -0800, Francois Stephany wrote:
> I think the VMs used by seasidehosting are patched to restrict the user
> in some ways, I guess it is not that trivial to make the changes.
>
> If i'm correct, Laurent and Romain have made those modifications on a
> CogVM. See the Smallharbour project.

I was referring to this problem:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 07:31:50AM +0000, Nick Ager wrote:
> > Later images should work, but not if you are using the cog-vm. I found that
> > if I opened an image with the cog-vm it will no longer work with
> > seasidehosting.st.

When an image is saved from a Cog VM, and that image no longer runs
on some other VM, it means that the other VM is an old VM that does
not have the necessary Cog compatibility features that were added
to the standard VM some time after Cog was released.

Dave