Secure Web Service

rjuli...@gmail.com
Hello, all.

I hope those at ESUG are enjoying it (he said, jealously)!

I have a web service question (actually 2), for any who might be experienced with this...

Following the example in the documentation, I successfully created a small web service,
and it works perfectly!

Very simply, I create an SstWebServerSpecification, with the appropriate serverURL,
and webAppSpecs, then send it #instantiateAndRun.

I can then send requests to the web service, using the details I specified in the
webAppSpecs.  It was SO easy to set up and use.

Question 1: This allows me to create an HTTP web service.
Is there a way to create an HTTPS web service, so I can use it to exchange sensitive data?
If so, do I need to create a certificate and register it with the webServerSpecification?

Question 2: Is it possible (and worry-free) to create a SECOND instance of SstWebServerSpecification,
running on a different port, to provide a separate web service running in the same image?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance!!

Regards,
Julian Ford
(currently NOT at ESUG)

Re: Secure Web Service

Wayne Johnston
1.  If you are talking about "web services", see Web Services Guide - Cookbook - Creating a Secure Web Service

I've done things with web services which of course involves WSDL.  But I have no experience with SstWebServerSpecification, so perhaps you are making a more general web server.  But maybe that help page will give you a hint.

We can have a web services client in VA Smalltalk using HTTPS without having to use certificates.  But it seems that a web services server in VA Smalltalk can use HTTPS only if certificates are involved.

2. Try it.  I would guess it's easy with HTTP.  With HTTPS, I suspect it would be easy as long as the same set of certificates is used.  But if the certificates are different for the different ports, you might have problems.  I know our application, which is a web services client of multiple web services, had great difficulties getting that to work.

Re: Secure Web Service

rjuli...@gmail.com
Hi, Wayne.

Thank you very much for the reply, and the information!

Yes, I can certainly try multiple instances.....but I was looking to find out if there are any inherent
traps I need to worry about.  Sometimes, something looks like it is working, but there is a race-condition
or resource collision that is just waiting to happen, but is hard to test for.

Anyway, going to give the HTTPS Container option a try.

Thanks again!

Julian