Secure socket timeouts on Windows

Andrei Stebakov
This issue has been bugging me for a while now, but I hesitated to post it since I can't explain what's going on.
Every time I do any operation in Pharo related to secure socket connection I have strange socket timeout even though I can connect to the URL using web browser.
This time I was trying to install latest pharo 7.0 via pharo installer and I got ZdcSecureSocketStream waitForDataFor: hang over trying to download https://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-win-stable.zip
I can paste that link in Chrome and it can download it for me no problem also I can download it using curl.

This issue only happens to me at work, when I do the same from home I don't see this issue.
Anyway, I am at a loss here and wonder how can I debug and fix this issue.
Wondering if something like that happened for you guys.
cbc

Re: Secure socket timeouts on Windows

cbc
HI Andrei,
if you get this timeout, shut it down and immediately try again, does it work that time?
I ask, because I've been having similar issues - except at home, not at work, and I'm using Squeak (but same base VM, roughly).  And windows as well.

For me, I seem to get a timeout roughly 1/2 of the time; if I cancel out and try again, it almost always works then.  At times this is a very reliable pattern - at others, not so much.

Just saying, you aren't quite alone.

-cbc

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:41 AM Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]> wrote:
This issue has been bugging me for a while now, but I hesitated to post it since I can't explain what's going on.
Every time I do any operation in Pharo related to secure socket connection I have strange socket timeout even though I can connect to the URL using web browser.
This time I was trying to install latest pharo 7.0 via pharo installer and I got ZdcSecureSocketStream waitForDataFor: hang over trying to download https://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-win-stable.zip
I can paste that link in Chrome and it can download it for me no problem also I can download it using curl.

This issue only happens to me at work, when I do the same from home I don't see this issue.
Anyway, I am at a loss here and wonder how can I debug and fix this issue.
Wondering if something like that happened for you guys.

Re: Secure socket timeouts on Windows

Dominique Dartois-4

Isn't it an Internet configuration issue : proxypac at work and no proxy at home?

Pharo doesn't work with a proxy.pac

Cheers

Le 5 septembre 2018 à 15:40, Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]> a écrit :

This issue has been bugging me for a while now, but I hesitated to post it since I can't explain what's going on.
Every time I do any operation in Pharo related to secure socket connection I have strange socket timeout even though I can connect to the URL using web browser.
This time I was trying to install latest pharo 7.0 via pharo installer and I got  ZdcSecureSocketStream waitForDataFor: hang over trying to download  https://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-win-stable.zip
I can paste that link in Chrome and it can download it for me no problem also I can download it using curl.

This issue only happens to me at work, when I do the same from home I don't see this issue.
Anyway, I am at a loss here and wonder how can I debug and fix this issue.
Wondering if something like that happened for you guys.

---

Dominique