Security

Dirk Verleysen-2
Janko,

Is there some documentation available on Security ?

I added the following to my site:
 (AIDASite named: 'SKH') urlResolver defaultURL: '/security.html' forObject: WebSecurityManager new.

I now can add groups and users but cannot remove groups. Are there some rules for users and groups like Administrators, AllUsers, Guest ?

Dirk
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Security

Janko Mivšek
Hi Dirk,

I just came from the mountains, so the answer is a bit late :)

And by the way, what an impressive web site you are building, not to
mention how feature rich is already. Good work!

Dirk Verleysen wrote:

> Is there some documentation available on Security ?

No, not yet, mainly because I'd like to rewrite Admin>Security part before.

Just FYI: this part is actually one of the first Aida web apps back from
1996, so you can have a clue how things got started :)

> I added the following to my site:
>  (AIDASite named: 'SKH') urlResolver defaultURL: '/security.html'
> forObject: WebSecurityManager new.

I would not recommend to make another security manager, because there is
already one, accessible directly as anAIDASite securityManager and this
one is actually used by Aida while yours is not.

> I now can add groups and users but cannot remove groups. Are there some
> rules for users and groups like Administrators, AllUsers, Guest ?

I see, group removing through web UI is currently broken, but you can
remove it manually through inspector for now. I'll patch this soon.

User Guest is special because every user is Guest until he logs in. And
become again Guest when logout.

Group Administrators is also special because users in that group have
kind of "root" privileges - they can do everything

Group AllUsers is another special one, because all users are members of
that group by default.

Group Registered Users holds users who went successfully through a
complete registration process to that group.

To set up access rights, you should:

- for public access, set access rights to group AllUsers
- for access to all guest users, set user Guest
- for access to all logged-in users, set group Registered Users
- to limit access even more you can set rights to each individual user
or add your own groups at set rights to them

Access rights can be set for every WebApplication subclass (that is your
App class) and for its every view and action (update).

I hope that helps a bit.

Best regards
Janko

> Dirk

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Security

Dirk Verleysen-2
I'm starting to understand it, but how do you save your security settings?

Dirk
> I just came from the mountains, so the answer is a bit late :)
>
> And by the way, what an impressive web site you are building, not to
> mention how feature rich is already. Good work!
>
> Dirk Verleysen wrote:
>
>> Is there some documentation available on Security ?
>
> No, not yet, mainly because I'd like to rewrite Admin>Security part
> before.
>
> Just FYI: this part is actually one of the first Aida web apps back from
> 1996, so you can have a clue how things got started :)
>
>> I added the following to my site:
>>  (AIDASite named: 'SKH') urlResolver defaultURL: '/security.html'
>> forObject: WebSecurityManager new.
>
> I would not recommend to make another security manager, because there is
> already one, accessible directly as anAIDASite securityManager and this
> one is actually used by Aida while yours is not.
>
>> I now can add groups and users but cannot remove groups. Are there some
>> rules for users and groups like Administrators, AllUsers, Guest ?
>
> I see, group removing through web UI is currently broken, but you can
> remove it manually through inspector for now. I'll patch this soon.
>
> User Guest is special because every user is Guest until he logs in. And
> become again Guest when logout.
>
> Group Administrators is also special because users in that group have
> kind of "root" privileges - they can do everything
>
> Group AllUsers is another special one, because all users are members of
> that group by default.
>
> Group Registered Users holds users who went successfully through a
> complete registration process to that group.
>
> To set up access rights, you should:
>
> - for public access, set access rights to group AllUsers
> - for access to all guest users, set user Guest
> - for access to all logged-in users, set group Registered Users
> - to limit access even more you can set rights to each individual user
> or add your own groups at set rights to them
>
> Access rights can be set for every WebApplication subclass (that is your
> App class) and for its every view and action (update).
>

> I hope that helps a bit.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

>> Dirk

> Janko Miv?ek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Security

Janko Mivšek
Dirk Verleysen wrote:

> I'm starting to understand it, but how do you save your security settings?

Security settings are saved in image, as all other settings. So far I
didn't plan to save them differently. But I'm thinking to extend
user/group management with connection to LDAP server, so that' you'll be
able to use an existing, common and centralized identity management in
some company.

Did you men that answer with your question?

Best regards
Janko

> Dirk

http://www.aidaweb.si

Security

Dirk Verleysen-2
Janko,

It answers my question but it's not the answer I'd liked to hear :-).

I'll try to do it with a script when I start my server.

Dirk

>> I'm starting to understand it, but how do you save your security
>> settings?
>
> Security settings are saved in image, as all other settings. So far I
> didn't plan to save them differently. But I'm thinking to extend
> user/group management with connection to LDAP server, so that' you'll be
> able to use an existing, common and centralized identity management in
> some company.
>
> Did you men that answer with your question?
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

>> Dirk

Security

Janko Mivšek
Dirk Verleysen wrote:

> It answers my question but it's not the answer I'd liked to hear :-).
>
> I'll try to do it with a script when I start my server.

You can of course subclass and replace current SecurityManager with your
own, which is populated when you image starts. You can also save changes
back to disk too.

Access rights are set in such a way that only symbols are used for App
class names. All you need is to recreate somehow users and groups and
preserve their identity in access rights setup. This can be done easily
with introduction of uuids for users and groups. When you save security
settings, use uuids instead of object references ...

Janko