Sencha

Dan Ingalls-4
Folks -

Check this out. Very close to an HTML app store.

        http://www.sencha.com

Could be fun to Lively Up this one ;-)

        - D

Re: Sencha

Steve Wart-2
Licensing looks complicated, but it seems they've specifically tried to make it compatible with non-GPL projects. Is BSD the same as MIT?

But then I'm confused about the $219 developer license.

Should be fun to play with though. There's also http://www.phonegap.com/ which is not a UI framework, but they provide a Javascript API to some of the more proprietary device features (e.g. camera and accelerometer) -- it's for local deployment, not web-based, but it's just serving up local resources from your device.

One nice thing about these guys is they provide simulators for a variety of mobile devices. The simulator code is also open-source.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks -

Check this out. Very close to an HTML app store.

       http://www.sencha.com

Could be fun to Lively Up this one ;-)

       - D

Re: Sencha

Bert Freudenberg
On 26.06.2010, at 16:31, Steve Wart wrote:

> Licensing looks complicated, but it seems they've specifically tried to make it compatible with non-GPL projects. Is BSD the same as MIT?

They list MIT as one of the compatible licenses, so no problem there:
http://www.sencha.com/products/ux-exception.php

> But then I'm confused about the $219 developer license.

That only applies if you want to use it for non-open source apps:
http://www.sencha.com/company/dual.php

> Should be fun to play with though. There's also http://www.phonegap.com/ which is not a UI framework, but they provide a Javascript API to some of the more proprietary device features (e.g. camera and accelerometer) -- it's for local deployment, not web-based, but it's just serving up local resources from your device.
>
> One nice thing about these guys is they provide simulators for a variety of mobile devices. The simulator code is also open-source.

I tried the Sencha "kitchen sink" demo on both iPad and iPhone. Impressive. It indeed feels very close to a native application.

- Bert -

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> Check this out. Very close to an HTML app store.
>>
>>        http://www.sencha.com
>>
>> Could be fun to Lively Up this one ;-)
>>
>>        - D

Re: Sencha

Philip Weaver
I used the ExtJS framework (of Sencha) back in 2007 around the time Project Flair (now Lively) was announced. It is well designed but does not have the same vision as Lively: direct manipulation and vectors. ExtJS abruptly changed their license in 2008 which led to some revolt. A couple of weeks ago ExtJS renamed themselves to Sencha and also brought in the RaphaelJS SVG framework and a touch framework.

Many of the subscribers on this mailing list have more of a background focusing on Smalltalk and Squeak than with web development. So I do think it's beneficial that we increase awareness and discuss what already exists out there in web toolkit land.

Philip

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Steve Wart <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

14 Million Dollars
http://www.sencha.com/blog/2010/06/24/sequoia-capital-invests-in-sencha/

I just added a new document. It's sparse but you'll get the idea. Please join this conversation and contribute to this document. This might need to be discussed offline but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Philip

Philip

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Philip Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A Google bot continues to unpublish this document - therefore the link below is broken. The title of this document is Lively (Sponsorship & Funding). So hopefully you'll be able to find it in the list via http://tinyurl.com/lively-mockups/

The document originally just had some links in it which Google filters rejected. So I'm working on just summarizing these links until I sort that out.

Thanks,
Philip