Senders and implementors WAS: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Senders and implementors WAS: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Mariano Martinez Peck
I don't know you what I use senders and implementors everytime. Too frecuently. Frecuently enought so that to put them in the first menu and not insidethe "extended search".  Don't you rather them to be in the first menu ??

Re: Senders and implementors WAS: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Damien Cassou
2009/7/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I don't know you what I use senders and implementors everytime. Too
> frecuently. Frecuently enought so that to put them in the first menu and not
> insidethe "extended search".  Don't you rather them to be in the first menu
> ??

Why don't you use keyboard shortcuts if you use them often? ALT+m
(iMplementors) ALT+n (seNders)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/7/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I don't know you what I use senders and implementors everytime. Too
> frecuently. Frecuently enought so that to put them in the first menu and not
> insidethe "extended search".  Don't you rather them to be in the first menu
> ??

Why don't you use keyboard shortcuts if you use them often? ALT+m
(iMplementors) ALT+n (seNders)

I do that. But I was not thinking in me, but in newbies.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Senders and implementors WAS: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Adrian Lienhard

On Jul 19, 2009, at 20:05 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
>> 2009/7/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> I don't know you what I use senders and implementors everytime. Too
>>> frecuently. Frecuently enought so that to put them in the first
>>> menu and
>> not
>>> insidethe "extended search".  Don't you rather them to be in the
>>> first
>> menu
>>> ??
>>
>> Why don't you use keyboard shortcuts if you use them often? ALT+m
>> (iMplementors) ALT+n (seNders)
>

> I do that. But I was not thinking in me, but in newbies.

I think it would be better to document these shortcuts (e.g., as a
FAQ) instead of cluttering the menus.

Adrian

>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Senders and implementors WAS: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Documentation is certainly a good thing, but I have been trying to adapt my behavior to take advantage of these shortcuts, and I notice two things: (1) deciding between m/n takes _some_ thought; (2) it is common to be using the mouse to move around among browsers and a workspace or two, at which point I have to move to the keyboard, think up the selector, and then get the benefit.

In an ideal world, I would like to see the menus include these commands.

Bill

On Jul 19, 2009, at 20:14 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Documentation is certainly a good thing, but I have been trying to
> adapt my behavior to take advantage of these shortcuts, and I notice
> two things: (1) deciding between m/n takes _some_ thought; (2) it is
> common to be using the mouse to move around among browsers and a
> workspace or two, at which point I have to move to the keyboard,
> think up the selector, and then get the benefit.
>
> In an ideal world, I would like to see the menus include these
> commands.

But they are included in the menu -- just not at the top level (see my
previous mail). If we start to add more stuff at the top ('tally it'
and 'watch it' are already questionable in my opinion), then we end up
again with unusable menus like those of Squeak.

Adrian

> Bill

Lukas Renggli
(1) deciding between m/n takes _some_ thought;

I*m*plementors
Se*n*ders

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jul 19, 2009, at 20:14 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Documentation is certainly a good thing, but I have been trying to
> adapt my behavior to take advantage of these shortcuts, and I notice
> two things: (1) deciding between m/n takes _some_ thought; (2) it is
> common to be using the mouse to move around among browsers and a
> workspace or two, at which point I have to move to the keyboard,
> think up the selector, and then get the benefit.
>
> In an ideal world, I would like to see the menus include these
> commands.

But they are included in the menu -- just not at the top level (see my
previous mail). If we start to add more stuff at the top ('tally it'
and 'watch it' are already questionable in my opinion), then we end up
again with unusable menus like those of Squeak.

Yes, you are right and no one of us want that. I only think implementors and senders were used far more than the others like "tall it", "watch it", etc

Adrian

> Bill

+1