Senders of #haltOnce

Lukas Renggli
I discovered some senders of #haltOnce in Pharo 1.1 morphic code as I
was using this functionality to debug my own code. I submitted a fix:

Also I discovered countless senders of #halt and friends in library
code and tests. This is really bad for continuous integration and for
deploying images, because they open debuggers. All these senders
should be changed to throw an error or fail the test in some
controllable fashion.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Senders of #haltOnce

Stéphane Ducasse
good!

Stef

On Aug 19, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I discovered some senders of #haltOnce in Pharo 1.1 morphic code as I
> was using this functionality to debug my own code. I submitted a fix:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2833
>
> Also I discovered countless senders of #halt and friends in library
> code and tests. This is really bad for continuous integration and for
> deploying images, because they open debuggers. All these senders
> should be changed to throw an error or fail the test in some
> controllable fashion.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Senders of #haltOnce

Guillermo Polito
A time ago I noticed them.  And I realized most of them were used to
notify error conditions instead of using just #error:.  Each halt must
be analyzed independently :/

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I discovered some senders of #haltOnce in Pharo 1.1 morphic code as I
> was using this functionality to debug my own code. I submitted a fix:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2833
>
> Also I discovered countless senders of #halt and friends in library
> code and tests. This is really bad for continuous integration and for
> deploying images, because they open debuggers. All these senders
> should be changed to throw an error or fail the test in some
> controllable fashion.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Senders of #haltOnce

Carla F. Griggio
Yes, but even the haltOnce? They're really annoying, I noticed them too.

Maybe we should comment on that bug ticket everytime we notice them.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
A time ago I noticed them.  And I realized most of them were used to
notify error conditions instead of using just #error:.  Each halt must
be analyzed independently :/

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I discovered some senders of #haltOnce in Pharo 1.1 morphic code as I
> was using this functionality to debug my own code. I submitted a fix:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2833
>
> Also I discovered countless senders of #halt and friends in library
> code and tests. This is really bad for continuous integration and for
> deploying images, because they open debuggers. All these senders
> should be changed to throw an error or fail the test in some
> controllable fashion.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Senders of #haltOnce

Carla F. Griggio
Yes, but even the haltOnce? They're really annoying, I noticed them too.

Maybe we should comment on that bug ticket everytime we notice them.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
A time ago I noticed them.  And I realized most of them were used to
notify error conditions instead of using just #error:.  Each halt must
be analyzed independently :/

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I discovered some senders of #haltOnce in Pharo 1.1 morphic code as I
> was using this functionality to debug my own code. I submitted a fix:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2833
>
> Also I discovered countless senders of #halt and friends in library
> code and tests. This is really bad for continuous integration and for
> deploying images, because they open debuggers. All these senders
> should be changed to throw an error or fail the test in some
> controllable fashion.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Senders of #haltOnce

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Aug 19, 2010, at 4:05 52PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> Yes, but even the haltOnce? They're really annoying, I noticed them too.
>
> Maybe we should comment on that bug ticket everytime we notice them.
No, those are debugging artifacts accidentally left in :/
In my defense, 50% of them were in code hastily copy-pasted to the list as example code, not submitted as a package :)

Cheers,
Henry