7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sending EMail using SMTP with OAUTH

rjuli...@gmail.com
Hello, all.

I have a few clients who have Hotmail, or Microsoft Live EMail accounts,
and these do not support the use of STARTTLS, to send EMails.

They do, however, support XOAUTH2.

I am using the EMan goodie to send EMails, and I have also been adding to that
goodie for the last few years.

Has anyone built an EMail client using OAUTH?

Any pointers, or a starting direction, would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance....
And stay safe and healthy!

Regards,
Julian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/9213e9f2-9d5b-43f5-9c65-2cf305816cdf%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sending EMail using SMTP with OAUTH

Seth Berman
Hi Julian,

Since 9.2, the mail application includes an authentication framework to implement SASL.
It supports CRAM-MD5, SCRAM-SHA-1, SCRAM-SHA-256, LOGIN, XOAUTH2 or a custom protocol you can define and hook into SASL.
Load the ST:Server Smalltalk (SST) - Mail (IMAP/SMTP) feature and review the SstMailAuthenticationApp for some idea.

If you want see how that looks from a protocol conversation standpoint...run some of the SstSmtpClientExample>>exampleSasl* examples which has logging enabled and prints these out to the Transcript.  You can then switch out the sasl authenticator used in the example with a SstSaslOAuth2Authenticator which requies a user and access token.

VAST just handles the SASL conversation and encoding for XOAUTH2...there are still specifics to understand with each provider (gmail, hotmail, yahoo...).

Of course, I know what we have in VAST is not EMan, but hopefully it may point you in the right direction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to your original problem, you said that they don't support a STARTTLS upgrade.
But what about just an initial SSL connection?  If you login to their SSL/TLS port for Microsoft Live...what CAPABILITY listing does it answer?

- Seth

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:10:42 PM UTC-4, Julian Ford wrote:
Hello, all.

Thanks in advance....

Regards,
Julian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/5de26023-b86f-492b-9ce0-14bcd5dfb142%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
BTW, I would get 9.2.1 if you are going to experiment.
There were some SMTP fixes that were necessary for certain SMTP servers.

- Seth

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:06:47 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Julian,

Since 9.2, the mail application includes an authentication framework to implement SASL.
It supports CRAM-MD5, SCRAM-SHA-1, SCRAM-SHA-256, LOGIN, XOAUTH2 or a custom protocol you can define and hook into SASL.
Load the ST:Server Smalltalk (SST) - Mail (IMAP/SMTP) feature and review the SstMailAuthenticationApp for some idea.

If you want see how that looks from a protocol conversation standpoint...run some of the SstSmtpClientExample>>exampleSasl* examples which has logging enabled and prints these out to the Transcript.  You can then switch out the sasl authenticator used in the example with a SstSaslOAuth2Authenticator which requies a user and access token.

VAST just handles the SASL conversation and encoding for XOAUTH2...there are still specifics to understand with each provider (gmail, hotmail, yahoo...).

Of course, I know what we have in VAST is not EMan, but hopefully it may point you in the right direction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to your original problem, you said that they don't support a STARTTLS upgrade.
But what about just an initial SSL connection?  If you login to their SSL/TLS port for Microsoft Live...what CAPABILITY listing does it answer?

- Seth

Hello, all.

Thanks in advance....

Regards,
Julian

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/3ccb7167-df18-4e63-b2c4-c513c2c291d0%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

rjuli...@gmail.com
Thanks, Seth....

I will try what you have suggested.
And yes, I am already using 9.2.1, so should have what I need.

Greatly appreciate the response!

Julian

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:08:16 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
BTW, I would get 9.2.1 if you are going to experiment.
There were some SMTP fixes that were necessary for certain SMTP servers.

- Seth

Hi Julian,

- Seth

Hello, all.

Thanks in advance....

Regards,
Julian

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/adc007b9-072d-479e-964b-226859af7424%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
Hi Julian,

Sure.  Just reach out to me if you get stuck.

- Seth

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/70598e45-d04b-4087-871d-5ab7b4e5b110%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

rjuli...@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Seth Berman
Sorry....missed the second part of your message....

After the EHLO, the capabilities listing I receive is as follows:
250-SIZE 157286400
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8

Julian

Hi Julian,

- Seth

Hello, all.

Thanks in advance....

Regards,
Julian

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/9e2224b1-6750-41c4-9180-43aa89903133%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
Hi Julian,

So it supports LOGIN?  Can you just use that?
@see SstSaslLoginAuthenticator

- Seth

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 4:48:26 PM UTC-4, Julian Ford wrote:
Sorry....missed the second part of your message....

After the EHLO, the capabilities listing I receive is as follows:
250-SIZE 157286400
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8

Julian

Hi Julian,

- Seth

Hello, all.

Thanks in advance....

Regards,
Julian

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/176c867c-78d4-423e-814c-fa24ac988acd%40googlegroups.com.