Sending EMail using SMTP with OAUTH

rjuli...@gmail.com
Hello, all.

I have a few clients who have Hotmail, or Microsoft Live EMail accounts,
and these do not support the use of STARTTLS, to send EMails.

They do, however, support XOAUTH2.

I am using the EMan goodie to send EMails, and I have also been adding to that
goodie for the last few years.

Has anyone built an EMail client using OAUTH?

Any pointers, or a starting direction, would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance....
And stay safe and healthy!

Regards,
Julian

Re: Sending EMail using SMTP with OAUTH

Seth Berman
Hi Julian,

Since 9.2, the mail application includes an authentication framework to implement SASL.
It supports CRAM-MD5, SCRAM-SHA-1, SCRAM-SHA-256, LOGIN, XOAUTH2 or a custom protocol you can define and hook into SASL.
Load the ST:Server Smalltalk (SST) - Mail (IMAP/SMTP) feature and review the SstMailAuthenticationApp for some idea.

If you want see how that looks from a protocol conversation standpoint...run some of the SstSmtpClientExample>>exampleSasl* examples which has logging enabled and prints these out to the Transcript.  You can then switch out the sasl authenticator used in the example with a SstSaslOAuth2Authenticator which requies a user and access token.

VAST just handles the SASL conversation and encoding for XOAUTH2...there are still specifics to understand with each provider (gmail, hotmail, yahoo...).

Of course, I know what we have in VAST is not EMan, but hopefully it may point you in the right direction.

Back to your original problem, you said that they don't support a STARTTLS upgrade.
But what about just an initial SSL connection?  If you login to their SSL/TLS port for Microsoft Live...what CAPABILITY listing does it answer?

- Seth

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:10:42 PM UTC-4, Julian Ford wrote:
Hello, all.

I have a few clients who have Hotmail, or Microsoft Live EMail accounts,
and these do not support the use of STARTTLS, to send EMails.

They do, however, support XOAUTH2.

I am using the EMan goodie to send EMails, and I have also been adding to that
goodie for the last few years.

Has anyone built an EMail client using OAUTH?

Any pointers, or a starting direction, would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance....
And stay safe and healthy!

Regards,
Julian

Re: Sending EMail using SMTP with OAUTH

Seth Berman
BTW, I would get 9.2.1 if you are going to experiment.
There were some SMTP fixes that were necessary for certain SMTP servers.

- Seth

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:06:47 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Seth....

I will try what you have suggested.
And yes, I am already using 9.2.1, so should have what I need.

Greatly appreciate the response!

Julian

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:08:16 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

Sure.  Just reach out to me if you get stuck.

- Seth

Re: Sending EMail using SMTP with OAUTH

rjuli...@gmail.com
Sorry....missed the second part of your message....

After the EHLO, the capabilities listing I receive is as follows:
250-SIZE 157286400
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8

Julian

[...]

So it supports LOGIN?  Can you just use that?
@see SstSaslLoginAuthenticator

- Seth