Sending Email from VisualWorks

Sattler, Thomas (IT)
All -

Has anyone ever been able to send email in a VisualWorks application from a system on which QMail is installed?

I have successfully sent email from a system running Sendmail, but when I use the same code on a different server (which runs QMail), nothing happens.  I'm not sure if it's QMail which is causing this, or whether it's something else on this server that I'm not aware of.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Bruce Badger
Tom,

On 16/03/07, Sattler, Thomas (IT) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone ever been able to send email in a VisualWorks application from a
> system on which QMail is installed?

How are you trying to send the email?

If you are connecting to a remote SMTP server it should not matter
what SMTP server you have installed on localhost.

Perhaps you are connecting to the SMTP server on localhost and for the
first time this happens to be a QMail server?  If this is the problem,
a quick solution might be to connect to an SMTP server (Sendmail
perhaps since that worked for you) on another host.

If you are connecting to an SMTP server on another host anyway, is it
possible that the port is blocked on the new localhost somehow?  Can
you telnet to the target SMTP server?

Sorry, that's more questions than answers :-/

All the best,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: Sending Email from VisualWorks

David Long @ gmail
Hi Bruce.

I have an AuthenticatingSMTPClient class, which should work for email
servers that have authentication requirements. It should be in the
AtlantisDevelopersKit parcel in the Cincom public repository. I've been
using it for sending mail from VisualWorks for some time.

Hope this helps.

David

> On 16/03/07, Sattler, Thomas (IT) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever been able to send email in a VisualWorks application from
>> system on which QMail is installed?
>
> How are you trying to send the email?
>
> If you are connecting to a remote SMTP server it should not matter
> what SMTP server you have installed on localhost.
>
> Perhaps you are connecting to the SMTP server on localhost and for the
> first time this happens to be a QMail server?  If this is the problem,
> a quick solution might be to connect to an SMTP server (Sendmail
> perhaps since that worked for you) on another host.
>
> If you are connecting to an SMTP server on another host anyway, is it
> possible that the port is blocked on the new localhost somehow?  Can
> you telnet to the target SMTP server?
>
> Sorry, that's more questions than answers :-/
>
> All the best,
>    Bruce
> --
> Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
> http://www.openskills.org/

RE: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Sattler, Thomas (IT)
Bruce,

Here is the code I am using:

----------------------------------
mailTheFileToIntendedRecipients

        | mm smtp text |
        text := self ws contents .
        mm := Net.MailMessage new .
        mm contentType: 'text/html' .
        mm to: 'Rtm-DBConsis' .
        mm from: 'sattlert ' .
        mm subject: 'Daily Database Consistency Checks' .
        mm text: text .
        smtp := Net.SimpleSMTPClient new .
        smtp username: 'sattlert' .
        smtp hostName: 'localhost' .
        smtp sendMessage: mm .

----------------------------------

David,

This is very helpful.  Are you using it on a Qmail system, by any
chance?

Glazier, Sean

Also,

You need to tell us if the server is set for pop3 requests and is it using authentication.

Sean

Re: Sending Email from VisualWorks

David Long @ gmail
Hi Thomas.

Yes, I hit this one a while ago. Basically VisualWorks could do SMTP, but
not authenticate. This made it's SMTP basically useless for most email
systems, as just about everyone authenticates these days to prevent spam.
Now you have to say who you are, then you can spam ;-)

Anyways, I had to tweak the authentication sequence by making a subclass,
and eventually came up with the AuthSMTPClient class. What I would say is
that
if you find it doesn't work with Qmail, just break into it with a debugger
during authentication. You'll quickly see what string it is looking for, you
can make a subclass and call it QMailAuthClient (if you need to). Feel free
to upload it to the repository.

That being said, I think you should give this class a try and see. I've used
it with the email server for my ISP, and a few email server programs like
Argosoft. It worked with no errors. I'm not sure if my ISP is using QMail.
So....I'd say just give it a whirl and see ;-)

If you have any questions on this class, just send me some code or
something. I'll take a look.

Good luck.

David

This is very helpful.  Are you using it on a Qmail system, by any
chance?

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does
not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is
prohibited when received in error.

RE: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Glazier, Sean

I suggest starting a sniffer and see what is happening on port 25. My first guess is that Qmail has a security setting set that is not allowing the mail ,for what ever reason, not go through. I would also look at the Qmail logs because they should entries for messages that didn’t pass through the rule set. It used to be a mail server would send back and email saying what was wrong. These days how ever you may not get a return email because of the spamming issues. In any case I would check the server logs and server configuration for Qmail.

HTH

Sean

RE: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Kogan, Tamara
RE: Sending Email from VisualWorks

You can also load the latest SMTP package from the repository. There is the new SMTPClient class that supports authentication and SSL connection. The code is included in the 75 release.

SMTPClient:

smtpClient := SMTPClient host: 'smtp.cincom.com'.

smtpClient user: (NetUser username: 'username' password: 'password' ).

smtpClient connect.

[smtpClient login.

smtpClient send: message1.

smtpClient send: message2.

] ensure: [smtpClient close ]

Or:

client := SMTPClient new.

client user: (NetUser username: 'username' password: 'password').

client hostName: 'smtp.com' portNumber: '9090'.

client useSecureConnection.

[ client connect ] on: Security.X509.SSLBadCertificate do: [ :ex | ex proceed].

[client send: self message]  ensure: [smtpClient close ]

Tamara Kogan

Smalltalk development,

Cincom Systems

Thanks to everyone for their help.  I have a lot of good suggestions to try over the weekend.  I will report back what happens.

--Tom

You can also load the latest SMTP package from the repository. There is the new SMTPClient class that supports authentication and SSL connection. The code is included in the 75 release.

SMTPClient:

smtpClient := SMTPClient host: 'smtp.cincom.com'.

smtpClient user: (NetUser username: 'username' password: 'password' ).

smtpClient connect.

[smtpClient login.

smtpClient send: message1.

smtpClient send: message2.

] ensure: [smtpClient close ]

Or:

client := SMTPClient new.

client user: (NetUser username: 'username' password: 'password').

client hostName: 'smtp.com' portNumber: '9090'.

client useSecureConnection.

[ client connect ] on: Security.X509.SSLBadCertificate do: [ :ex | ex proceed].

[client send: self message]  ensure: [smtpClient close ]

Tamara Kogan

Smalltalk development,

Cincom Systems

An easy fix here might just be to configure your localhost Qmail to
not authenticateSMTP connections, then you can keep using the code you
already have.  You can protect your local SMTP server by having your
firewall block inbound requests on the SMTP port.

Um, not that I know how to configure Qmail ...

http://www.openskills.org/

RE: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Sattler, Thomas (IT)
Bruce,

I went as far as perusing www.lifewithqmail.com, and QMail seems like
the main electric panel in a nuclear power plant:  Something I do not
want to mess with.

;-)

Reinout Heeck-2
----------------------------------

> mailTheFileToIntendedRecipients
>
> | mm smtp text |
> text := self ws contents .
> mm := Net.MailMessage new .
> mm contentType: 'text/html' .
> mm to: 'Rtm-DBConsis' .
> mm from: 'sattlert ' .
> mm subject: 'Daily Database Consistency Checks' .
> mm text: text .
> smtp := Net.SimpleSMTPClient new .
> smtp username: 'sattlert' .
> smtp hostName: 'localhost' .
> smtp sendMessage: mm .
>
> ----------------------------------

Our mailserver would probably reject this message because the 'from:'
line is invalid (trailing whitespace) or because the 'to:' line
specifies no domain. I guess 'sender:' will be set to 'sattlert' which
is invalid too (no domain name).

Our server (Exim4) has a bunch of added rules that will drop (not even
reject!) a connection that inputs invalid header fields since such
messages are 99.99% of the time sent by spambots.
More endeavoring mail admins will even move such a connection into a
teergrube.

My point is that your SMTP connection might simply die (without
receiving a reject reason) if the headers or the initial HELO handshake
don't pass muster. Whether this feature is turned on depends more on the
mail administrator than on the software's vendor.

> please destroy and notify sender
Such language falls under penal law in several countries...

HTH,

Reinout
-------

RE: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Sattler, Thomas (IT)
Interestingly enough, it works internally at Morgan Stanley, the 33rd
largest company in the world, which (you'd think) would have rules as
stringent as anyone.

> > please destroy and notify sender
> Such language falls under penal law in several countries...

Hey, that's pretty funny.  I didn't know anyone actually reads these
email disclaimers.

Rick Flower
Sattler, Thomas (IT) wrote:
> Interestingly enough, it works internally at Morgan Stanley, the 33rd
> largest company in the world, which (you'd think) would have rules as
> stringent as anyone.

I also run Exim4 and recently turned on (care of a website I ran across)
header date validation and
find that 99% of Spambots don't format dates correctly in the message
headers and instead of
running it through SpamAssassin to figure out that it's spam, it now
drops it at validation time without
wasting as many resources..   However, I've found a few legit sites that
still don't format dates correctly
and will get rejected (for example -- Ebay does this).. I ended up
having to put exception handling
code in to fix that..  What I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter how
big the company is -- they can
still have a misconfigured piece of software regardless.

Re: Sending Email from VisualWorks

Dave Stevenson-2
Reinout Heeck wrote:
>> please destroy and notify sender
> Such language falls under penal law in several countries...

If interpreted as "please destroy the sender", I can understand how that
might be interpreted as criminal intent. But in the intended context of
destroying the message, what might be legislated about such a disclaimer?

Dave