Sending 'Recompiling' messages to stderr instead of stdout?

Sending 'Recompiling' messages to stderr instead of stdout?

Rick Flower-2
So, I've got a few scripts that use the XML package.. When I bring that
package in I get the messages below emitted to stdout along with the
output
of my script.

In light of the fact that this script will be used in an environment
where someone using the script won't know what these messages mean,
I was thinking it'd be nice to send those to stderr instead of stdout.
That way I can, as the script writer, choose whether or not stderr
output is seen or not.. Are there any pitfalls to doing something like
this?

Recompiling classes...
Recompiling class: XML.Attribute
Recompiling selector: #key
Recompiling selector: #value
Recompiling selector: #value:
Recompiling selector: #printOn:
Recompiling selector: #isLike:
Recompiling selector: #simpleDescription
Recompiling selector: #isAttribute
Recompiling selector: #printCanonicalOn:
Recompiling selector: #expandedName
Recompiling selector: #tag:
Recompiling selector: #name:value:
Recompiling selector: #characterData
Recompiling selector: #tag
Recompiling class: XML.Attribute class
Recompiling selector: #name:value:

Re: Sending 'Recompiling' messages to stderr instead of stdout?

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 30/10/2012 18:39, Rick Flower ha scritto:

> So, I've got a few scripts that use the XML package.. When I bring that
> package in I get the messages below emitted to stdout along with the output
> of my script.
>
> In light of the fact that this script will be used in an environment
> where someone using the script won't know what these messages mean,
> I was thinking it'd be nice to send those to stderr instead of stdout.
> That way I can, as the script writer, choose whether or not stderr
> output is seen or not.. Are there any pitfalls to doing something like
> this?

Makes sense!  Would you like to try writing a patch?

Paolo

On 31.10.2012 03:51, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Il 30/10/2012 18:39, Rick Flower ha scritto:
>
>> So, I've got a few scripts that use the XML package.. When I bring
>> that
>> package in I get the messages below emitted to stdout along with the
>> output of my script. In light of the fact that this script will be
>> used
>> in an environment where someone using the script won't know what
>> these
>> messages mean, I was thinking it'd be nice to send those to stderr
>> instead of stdout. That way I can, as the script writer, choose
>> whether
>> or not stderr output is seen or not.. Are there any pitfalls to
>> doing
>> something like this?
>
> Makes sense! Would you like to try writing a patch?

Sure.. I could also move to the latest version and check it out against
Solaris 8 -- last time I did this I know there were a few issues and
provided feedback.. Hopefully this time will be a bit easier..

--Rick

Il 31/10/2012 14:48, Rick Flower ha scritto:

> Sure.. I could also move to the latest version and check it out against
> Solaris 8 -- last time I did this I know there were a few issues and
> provided feedback.. Hopefully this time will be a bit easier..

Uh, actually the "Recompiling" messages were removed on 2010-09-28!

Paolo

On 26.11.2012 03:52, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Il 31/10/2012 14:48, Rick Flower ha scritto:
>
>> Sure.. I could also move to the latest version and check it out
>> against
>> Solaris 8 -- last time I did this I know there were a few issues and
>> provided feedback.. Hopefully this time will be a bit easier..
>
> Uh, actually the "Recompiling" messages were removed on 2010-09-28!

Yeah, I actually found that out after I moved to the latest 3.2
version..