Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Ted Bracht-2
Hi,

Has anybody any experience with sending SMS text messages from a (Dolphin)
Smalltalk app to mobile phones? Any pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Ted Bracht
www.tedbracht.co.uk

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Alan Wostenberg-4
Ted Bracht wrote:
> Has anybody any experience with sending SMS text messages from a (Dolphin)
> Smalltalk app to mobile phones? Any pointers?

Ted, you could use api defined by http://www.simplewire.com/ .

-- Alan Wostenberg
Psalms on my cellphone?  http://www.psalmweaver.com

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Robert A.M. van Lopik
"Alan Wostenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Ted Bracht wrote:
> > Has anybody any experience with sending SMS text messages from a
(Dolphin)
> > Smalltalk app to mobile phones? Any pointers?
>
> Ted, you could use api defined by http://www.simplewire.com/ .

Another option is Redcoal (www.readcoal.com). They also offer a
SOAP-interface:
http://xml.redcoal.com/soapserver.dll/wsdl/ISoapServer

Always wanted to try this with Spray, never found time.

hth

rob van lopik

---

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

lopemanc
I contacted Ted outside the news group.  Turns out he is not using a
modem, just the net.  Told him that his provider probally has an email
interface.  like verizon, you just do your phone number @ vmail.com.
skytell has something like this too.

"Robert A.M. van Lopik" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<bil97d$acle4$[hidden email]>...

> "Alan Wostenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> >

> > Ted Bracht wrote:
> > > Has anybody any experience with sending SMS text messages from a
>  (Dolphin)
> > > Smalltalk app to mobile phones? Any pointers?
> >
> > Ted, you could use api defined by http://www.simplewire.com/ .
>

> Another option is Redcoal (www.readcoal.com). They also offer a
> SOAP-interface:
> http://xml.redcoal.com/soapserver.dll/wsdl/ISoapServer
>
> Always wanted to try this with Spray, never found time.
>
> hth
>
> rob van lopik
>

> ---

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Ted Bracht-2
Thanks all, some excellent suggestions

Thanks,

Ted

"Chris Lopeman" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I contacted Ted outside the news group.  Turns out he is not using a
> modem, just the net.  Told him that his provider probally has an email
> interface.  like verizon, you just do your phone number @ vmail.com.
> skytell has something like this too.
>

> "Robert A.M. van Lopik" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:<bil97d$acle4$[hidden email]>...

> > "Alan Wostenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:[hidden email]...

> >  (Dolphin)
> > >
> > > Ted, you could use api defined by http://www.simplewire.com/ .
> >

> > Another option is Redcoal (www.readcoal.com). They also offer a
> > SOAP-interface:
> > http://xml.redcoal.com/soapserver.dll/wsdl/ISoapServer
> >
> > Always wanted to try this with Spray, never found time.
> >
> > hth
> >
> > rob van lopik
> >

> > ---

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Normand Mongeau
"Ted Bracht" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bink25$b8sp1$[hidden email]...

> Thanks all, some excellent suggestions
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ted
>

> "Chris Lopeman" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > I contacted Ted outside the news group.  Turns out he is not using a
> > modem, just the net.  Told him that his provider probally has an email
> > interface.  like verizon, you just do your phone number @ vmail.com.
> > skytell has something like this too.
> >

> > "Robert A.M. van Lopik" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:<bil97d$acle4$[hidden email]>...
> > > "Alan Wostenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > > news:[hidden email]...

> > >  (Dolphin)

> > > Another option is Redcoal (www.readcoal.com). They also offer a
> > > SOAP-interface:
> > > http://xml.redcoal.com/soapserver.dll/wsdl/ISoapServer
> > >
> > > Always wanted to try this with Spray, never found time.
> > >
> > > hth
> > >
> > > rob van lopik
> > >

> > > ---

Ted,

as Chris said, sending an SMS is very simple, using your mail server it's
just a matter of sending an ordinary email.  Of course there are some
restrictions, the text must be short, and no attachments :-).

Normand Mongeau
The Objects Consulting

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Mark Derricutt
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:47:10 +0100, Ted Bracht wrote:

> Has anybody any experience with sending SMS text messages from a (Dolphin)
> Smalltalk app to mobile phones? Any pointers?

My company provides a SOAP gateway for sending bulk SMS messages, we
connect via SMPP to multiple international telcos for a large distribution.

Check out http://www.bulletinconnect.net for information and details, or
contact me off list...

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

skrishnamachari
Would you want it from VisualWorks instead.. just 10 lines of script... to
send the SMS... using WSDL/SOAP connect.

skrishnamachari

"Mark Derricutt" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:47:10 +0100, Ted Bracht wrote:
>
> > Has anybody any experience with sending SMS text messages from a
(Dolphin)
> > Smalltalk app to mobile phones? Any pointers?
>
> My company provides a SOAP gateway for sending bulk SMS messages, we
> connect via SMPP to multiple international telcos for a large
distribution.

> Check out http://www.bulletinconnect.net for information and details, or
> contact me off list...

Re: Sending SMS messages from a Smalltalk app

Mark Derricutt-2
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:00:50 +0530, skrishnamachari wrote:

> Would you want it from VisualWorks instead.. just 10 lines of script... to
> send the SMS... using WSDL/SOAP connect.

I was actually looking at getting it working through Visual Works as I'm
new to it, but I was having some problems with it for some reason ( most
likely cause I was doing something simple wrong )...

Mmm