Serial Port

Joan Güell
Hello
We are developing software to interact with small robots for educational purposes. To do this we need to use the serial port. SerialPort class that includes Pharo does not work on mac or linux, because it´s not  able to open ports by name.
It would be interesting that future versions include a SerialPort that would work in these circumstances.  we are using since a time a´go the plugin that comes with Scratch, with this we just copy the plugins in the folder of the VM, the Plugin that comes with the VM Scrath, and add to the image of the image classes of Scratch , ScratchPlugin and SerialPort2.Up to date this has worked on all VM including the latest Cog.
It works on Linux, Mac or Windows.We wory that future versions will lose support.

The source code for the plugins can be found on:

Joan Güell
Joan Güell

Re: Serial Port

Stéphane Ducasse
Hello Joan

Thanks.
Yes we should fix that.
What is the license of Scratch?

Stef

On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Joan Güell wrote:

> Hello
> We are developing software to interact with small robots for educational purposes. To do this we need to use the serial port. SerialPort class that includes Pharo does not work on mac or linux, because it´s not  able to open ports by name.
> It would be interesting that future versions include a SerialPort that would work in these circumstances.  we are using since a time a´go the plugin that comes with Scratch, with this we just copy the plugins in the folder of the VM, the Plugin that comes with the VM Scrath, and add to the image of the image classes of Scratch , ScratchPlugin and SerialPort2.Up to date this has worked on all VM including the latest Cog.
> It works on Linux, Mac or Windows.We wory that future versions will lose support.
>

> The source code for the plugins can be found on:
>
> http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Source_Code
>
> ScratchPluginSrc1.4.zip
>
> Joan Güell
> [hidden email]
> Joan Güell

Re: Serial Port

Joan Güell
Hi Stef,

As you can see at http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Source_Code, the Scratch license seems to be MIT. Textually:

"The Scratch source code license allows you to distribute derivative works based on the Scratch source code for non-commercial uses subject to the following restrictions:

  1. you cannot use the word "Scratch" to refer to derivative  works (except in the phrase "Based on Scratch from the MIT Media Laboratory"),
  2. you cannot use the Scratch logo or the official (copyrighted) Scratch cat in derivative works,
  3. you cannot implement the ability to upload projects to any MIT Scratch website (currently, http://scratch.mit.edu),
  4. copies or derivative works must retain the Scratch copyright notice and license, and
  5. you must make the source code for derivative works available.

This is just a summary; the full license is in the file "license.txt" included in the source code download package.

The purpose of these restrictions is to avoid confusion in the Scratch user community between the official version of Scratch (supported by the Lifelong Kindergarten group) and experimental variations. We are happy the share our source code, but we want to protect the Scratch brand and our user community."

You can find the license.txt file attached.

Cheers,

Joan.

El 26/01/2011, a las 16:07, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

[...]

License.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Serial Port

James Ashley
I haven't looked at the official license.txt, but the summary looks
quite a bit different than what I (or the GNU foundation) consider
"the" MIT license, at http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt.

Not that I'm a lawyer or my opinion means anything at all here.

Respectfully,
James

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Joan Güell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
> As you can see at http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Source_Code, the Scratch
> license seems to be MIT. Textually:
>
> "The Scratch source code license allows you to distribute derivative works
> based on the Scratch source code for non-commercial uses subject to the
> following restrictions:
>
> you cannot use the word "Scratch" to refer to derivative  works (except in
> the phrase "Based on Scratch from the MIT Media Laboratory"),
> you cannot use the Scratch logo or the official (copyrighted) Scratch cat in
> derivative works,
> you cannot implement the ability to upload projects to any MIT Scratch
> website (currently, http://scratch.mit.edu),
> copies or derivative works must retain the Scratch copyright notice and
> license, and
> you must make the source code for derivative works available.
>
> This is just a summary; the full license is in the file "license.txt"
> included in the source code download package.
>
> The purpose of these restrictions is to avoid confusion in the Scratch user
> community between the official version of Scratch (supported by the Lifelong
> Kindergarten group) and experimental variations. We are happy the share our
> source code, but we want to protect the Scratch brand and our user
> community."
>
> You can find the license.txt file attached.
>

> Cheers,
> Joan.
> El 26/01/2011, a las 16:07, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>
> Hello Joan
>
> Thanks.
> Yes we should fix that.
> What is the license of Scratch?
>
> Stef
>

> On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Joan Güell wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> We are developing software to interact with small robots for educational
> purposes. To do this we need to use the serial port. SerialPort class that
> includes Pharo does not work on mac or linux, because it´s not  able to open
> ports by name.
>
> It would be interesting that future versions include a SerialPort that would
> work in these circumstances.  we are using since a time a´go the plugin that
> comes with Scratch, with this we just copy the plugins in the folder of the
> VM, the Plugin that comes with the VM Scrath, and add to the image of the
> image classes of Scratch , ScratchPlugin and SerialPort2.Up to date this has
> worked on all VM including the latest Cog.
>
> It works on Linux, Mac or Windows.We wory that future versions will lose
> support.
>

> The source code for the plugins can be found on:
>
> http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Source_Code
>
> ScratchPluginSrc1.4.zip
>
> Joan Güell
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Joan Güell
>
> [hidden email]
>

> Joan Güell

Re: Serial Port

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes so I would ban the code and we will fix it ourselves.
We do not want to end in 30 different variant of the MIT license.
They should not have change the license like that....
Error is repeating itself.

Stef

On Jan 26, 2011, at 4:42 PM, James Ashley wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> We are developing software to interact with small robots for educational
>> purposes. To do this we need to use the serial port. SerialPort class that
>> includes Pharo does not work on mac or linux, because it´s not  able to open
>> ports by name.
>>
>> It would be interesting that future versions include a SerialPort that would
>> work in these circumstances.  we are using since a time a´go the plugin that
>> comes with Scratch, with this we just copy the plugins in the folder of the
>> VM, the Plugin that comes with the VM Scrath, and add to the image of the
>> image classes of Scratch , ScratchPlugin and SerialPort2.Up to date this has
>> worked on all VM including the latest Cog.
>>
>> It works on Linux, Mac or Windows.We wory that future versions will lose
>> support.
>>

>> The source code for the plugins can be found on:

Re: Serial Port

David T. Lewis
There should be no license concern. The named serial support is provided
in the SerialPlugin, and the update is of course MIT.

Background is here:
  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266

I don't think that patches are included in the oscog branch yet (but I
am not able to check right now, sorry).

In any case, don't worry about the license.

Dave

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 05:25:55PM +0100, St?phane Ducasse wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> We are developing software to interact with small robots for educational
> >> purposes. To do this we need to use the serial port. SerialPort class that
> >> includes Pharo does not work on mac or linux, because it?s not  able to open
> >> ports by name.
> >>
> >> It would be interesting that future versions include a SerialPort that would
> >> work in these circumstances.  we are using since a time a?go the plugin that
> >> comes with Scratch, with this we just copy the plugins in the folder of the
> >> VM, the Plugin that comes with the VM Scrath, and add to the image of the
> >> image classes of Scratch , ScratchPlugin and SerialPort2.Up to date this has
> >> worked on all VM including the latest Cog.
> >>
> >> It works on Linux, Mac or Windows.We wory that future versions will lose
> >> support.
> >>

> >> The source code for the plugins can be found on:

Re: Serial Port

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks david.

We are picky and strict about license because we do not want to get burned again with issues.

Stef

> There should be no license concern. The named serial support is provided
> in the SerialPlugin, and the update is of course MIT.
>
> Background is here:
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266
>
> I don't think that patches are included in the oscog branch yet (but I
> am not able to check right now, sorry).
>
> In any case, don't worry about the license.
>
> Dave
>

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 05:25:55PM +0100, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> Yes so I would ban the code and we will fix it ourselves.
>> We do not want to end in 30 different variant of the MIT license.
>> They should not have change the license like that....
>> Error is repeating itself.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jan 26, 2011, at 4:42 PM, James Ashley wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't looked at the official license.txt, but the summary looks
>>> quite a bit different than what I (or the GNU foundation) consider
>>> "the" MIT license, at http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt.
>>>
>>> Not that I'm a lawyer or my opinion means anything at all here.
>>>
>>> Respectfully,
>>> James

Re: Serial Port

Luc Fabresse
Hi all,

 I did not remember well the discussions about serial ports.
 But there are some infos there:

 Perhaps Serge knows more about it now?

#Luc

2011/1/26 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
Thanks david.

We are picky and strict about license because we do not want to get burned again with issues.

Stef

> There should be no license concern. The named serial support is provided
> in the SerialPlugin, and the update is of course MIT.
>
> Background is here:
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266
>
> I don't think that patches are included in the oscog branch yet (but I
> am not able to check right now, sorry).
>
> In any case, don't worry about the license.
>
> Dave
>

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 05:25:55PM +0100, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> Yes so I would ban the code and we will fix it ourselves.
>> We do not want to end in 30 different variant of the MIT license.
>> They should not have change the license like that....
>> Error is repeating itself.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jan 26, 2011, at 4:42 PM, James Ashley wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't looked at the official license.txt, but the summary looks
>>> quite a bit different than what I (or the GNU foundation) consider
>>> "the" MIT license, at http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt.
>>>
>>> Not that I'm a lawyer or my opinion means anything at all here.
>>>
>>> Respectfully,
>>> James

Fwd: Serial Port

Luc Fabresse

Re: Fwd: Serial Port

Stéphane Ducasse
Can you contact this guy?
Now since the code is in squeak is is MIT.

Stef