classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SerialPlugin

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

Any chance to get SerialPlugin working in Pharo 2.0 under Debian?

I tried to follow the instructions in http://car.mines-douai.fr/2013/01/serialplugin-in-the-pharo-vm/ but I didn't succeed. The second step already failed giving me the folowing error:

Error: Could not find accessor for variable named "bytesToAllocate" in NBUnixExternalHeapManager>>#mmapLength:prot:flags:into:

Thanks!

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SerialPlugin

FDominicus
Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> Any chance to get SerialPlugin working in Pharo 2.0 under Debian?
>
> I tried to follow the instructions
> in http://car.mines-douai.fr/2013/01/serialplugin-in-the-pharo-vm/ but
> I didn't succeed. The second step already failed giving me the
> folowing error:
>
>    
>     Error: Could not find accessor for variable named
>     "bytesToAllocate" in
>     NBUnixExternalHeapManager>>#mmapLength:prot:flags:into:
I have it running here. See my other posts with my problems. Have you
installed really all the 32-bit libraries?

what't the output of ldd on the pharo executable?

Is there something missing?

Regards
Friedrich

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Friedrich,

My machine is already a 32 bits one... here's the output of ldd:

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7782000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7746000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7742000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7728000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb75c5000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7783000)

Thanks! :)

2013/7/15 Friedrich Dominicus <[hidden email]>

> Hi list,
>
> Any chance to get SerialPlugin working in Pharo 2.0 under Debian?
>
> I tried to follow the instructions
> in http://car.mines-douai.fr/2013/01/serialplugin-in-the-pharo-vm/ but
> I didn't succeed. The second step already failed giving me the
> folowing error:
>
>
>     Error: Could not find accessor for variable named
>     "bytesToAllocate" in
>     NBUnixExternalHeapManager>>#mmapLength:prot:flags:into:
I have it running here. See my other posts with my problems. Have you
installed really all the 32-bit libraries?

what't the output of ldd on the pharo executable?

Is there something missing?

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

FDominicus

> Hi Friedrich,
>
> My machine is already a 32 bits one... here's the output of ldd:
>
>         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7782000)
>         libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6
> (0xb7746000)
>         libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2
> (0xb7742000)
>         libpthread.so.0 =>
> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7728000)
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> (0xb75c5000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7783000)
>
> Thanks! :)
Well that looks fine to me. Sorry that I could not help

Regards
Friedrich

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Ok, it seems the problem was not having the sources file in the same directory as the image.

Anyway, now I've another problem when trying to compile. cmake runs fine, but make fails with the following error:

Scanning dependencies of target B3DAcceleratorPlugin
[ 57%] Building C object B3DAcceleratorPlugin/CMakeFiles/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/src/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c.o
In file included from /home/bromagosa/blessed/src/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c:36:0:
/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.h:8:19: fatal error: GL/gl.h: El fitxer o directori no existeix
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [B3DAcceleratorPlugin/CMakeFiles/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/src/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [B3DAcceleratorPlugin/CMakeFiles/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas? 

(For the record, I do not need the B3DAcceleratorPlugin, so I guess it could just be left out, but I don't know how does one do that either)

2013/7/16 Friedrich Dominicus <[hidden email]>

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
I found out how to leave B3DAcceleratorPlugin out, but now I get this error almost at the end of the compilation process:

[ 95%] Building C object CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o
In file included from /home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:41:0:
/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h:17:54: fatal error: vmVersionInfo.h: El fitxer o directori no existeix
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/all] Error 2

"El fitxer o directori no existeix" is Catalan for "The file or directory does not exist".

How comes this header isn't there?

2013/7/17 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
Ok, it seems the problem was not having the sources file in the same directory as the image.

Anyway, now I've another problem when trying to compile. cmake runs fine, but make fails with the following error:

[ 57%] Building C object B3DAcceleratorPlugin/CMakeFiles/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/src/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c.o
In file included from /home/bromagosa/blessed/src/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c:36:0:
/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.h:8:19: fatal error: GL/gl.h: El fitxer o directori no existeix
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [B3DAcceleratorPlugin/CMakeFiles/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/src/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [B3DAcceleratorPlugin/CMakeFiles/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.dir/all] Error 2

Any ideas? 

(For the record, I do not need the B3DAcceleratorPlugin, so I guess it could just be left out, but I don't know how does one do that either)

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Hi!

before compiling you have to, inside the build folder, execute codegen-scripts/extract-commit-info.sh

Besides, I was looking at luc's tutorial and it lacks one step to have serial plugin built: install the patch he made [1]. Did you do that? I added a comment in the blog entry just in case...

Guille

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I found out how to leave B3DAcceleratorPlugin out, but now I get this error almost at the end of the compilation process:

[ 95%] Building C object CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o
In file included from /home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:41:0:
/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h:17:54: fatal error: vmVersionInfo.h: El fitxer o directori no existeix
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o] Error 1

"El fitxer o directori no existeix" is Catalan for "The file or directory does not exist".

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
ouch! I forgot to execute the script this time, and didn't install the patch either.. trying again, thanks! :)

2013/7/17 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>
Hi!

before compiling you have to, inside the build folder, execute codegen-scripts/extract-commit-info.sh

Besides, I was looking at luc's tutorial and it lacks one step to have serial plugin built: install the patch he made [1]. Did you do that? I added a comment in the blog entry just in case...

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Okay, it seems the patch is already included in the latest VMMaker image, so no need to apply it.

Still, having executed the script, I get yet another error, this time related to gl.h (why does it need it? I left B3DAcceleratorPlugin out):

In file included from /home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/SqDisplay.h:16:0,
                 from /home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:140:
/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqUnixOpenGL.h:21:22: fatal error: GL/gl.h: El fitxer o directori no existeix
compilation terminated.

ouch! I forgot to execute the script this time, and didn't install the patch either.. trying again, thanks! :)

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, it seems the patch is already included in the latest VMMaker image, so no need to apply it.

That's nice :). Anyone with grants in the issue tracker can close it?? :D

Still, having executed the script, I get yet another error, this time related to gl.h (why does it need it? I left B3DAcceleratorPlugin out):

In file included from /home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/SqDisplay.h:16:0,
/home/bromagosa/blessed/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqUnixOpenGL.h:21:22: fatal error: GL/gl.h: El fitxer o directori no existeix
compilation terminated.

Hmm, which configuration are you using to copile? I think there is a UnixNoGLConfiguration or something like that... So either you install the gl libraries or use the no gl configuration to generate the sources :).
In any case, I really don't know why there is that dependency with opengl...

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Great! I was missing the gl and alsa headers. All done now, thanks a lot :)

compilation terminated.

Hmm, which configuration are you using to copile? I think there is a UnixNoGLConfiguration or something like that... So either you install the gl libraries or use the no gl configuration to generate the sources :).

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
So I compiled two VMs, one with the SerialPlugin as an internal plugin, the other one as an external plugin.

On a Debian box, I connect an Arduino Diecimila board and I get its handler at /dev/ttyUSB0. However, on both VMs with fresh Pharo 2.0 images:

SerialPort new openPort: '/dev/ttyUSB0'

Fails with a generic error.

What's wrong with SerialPort? The "cannot open port" error message is about as informative as "sorry, not gonna happen" :(

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
It is indeed annoying and obviously buggy. 
I kinda "fixed" it last year but since I didn't had any serial port stuff to test it, it was just in abstract (Luc was using it, thought)

There was a report a couple of weeks ago to try using double slash. 

SerialPort new openPort: '/dev//ttyUSB0'

Esteban

On Jul 17, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I compiled two VMs, one with the SerialPlugin as an internal plugin, the other one as an external plugin.

On a Debian box, I connect an Arduino Diecimila board and I get its handler at /dev/ttyUSB0. However, on both VMs with fresh Pharo 2.0 images:

What's wrong with SerialPort? The "cannot open port" error message is about as informative as "sorry, not gonna happen" :(

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Yep, I found that thread and tried all possible combinations:

'/dev/ttyUSB0'
'/dev//ttyUSB0'
'/dev/ttyusb0'
'/dev//ttyusb0'
'ttyUSB0'
'ttyusb0'

and none worked... :(

2013/7/17 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
I kinda "fixed" it last year but since I didn't had any serial port stuff to test it, it was just in abstract (Luc was using it, thought)

Esteban

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Still trying without success...

Does anyone have an image, a VM and a SerialPlugin working in their machine that they can share with me? At this point I don't care too much on which OS, I'll find a machine here at work. The thing is I wanted to start developing right away, and this little obstacle is holding me back...

Thanks a lot!

Bernat.

'/dev/ttyUSB0'
'/dev//ttyUSB0'
'/dev/ttyusb0'
'/dev//ttyusb0'
'ttyUSB0'
'ttyusb0'

Esteban

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran
Hi, I just tried Pharo2.0 Latest update: #20596 with the following VM (on Windows): 

NBCoInterpreter NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid: a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
NBCogit NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid: a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit: 412abef33cbed05cf1d75329e451d71c0c6aa5a7 Date: 2013-03-13 17:48:50 +0100 By: Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> Jenkins build #14535

The serial port seems to work fine here. I hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Richo

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does anyone have an image, a VM and a SerialPlugin working in their machine that they can share with me? At this point I don't care too much on which OS, I'll find a machine here at work. The thing is I wanted to start developing right away, and this little obstacle is holding me back...

Thanks a lot!

Bernat.

'/dev/ttyUSB0'
'/dev//ttyUSB0'
'/dev/ttyusb0'
'/dev//ttyusb0'
'ttyUSB0'
'ttyusb0'

Esteban

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Ricardo,

By using exactly your same packages, it still didn't work on Linux. So I guess I'm stuck with a proprietary system for the moment... :(

It seems to work on Mac, no compiling or tweaking needed, so I'll start working on a Mac box for the moment, although I'm as productive on anything but my PC as if coding with a typewriter...

I'll still keep looking at the Unix plugin code to see if I can fix it. I think I've spotted something weird at:

if ((sp->spDescriptor= open(portName, O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK | O_NOCTTY)) < 0) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Error while opening the serial port (%s).\n", portName);
        return portOpenFailed(sp);
    }

This fprintf prints:

Error while opening the serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0!).

Notice the last character inside the parens. Sometimes it's a $!, sometimes it's a $9. This smells like we're reading one position more than needed from the char array, but I've tried changing its size and, even when portName has the right value, open() still returns -1...

2013/7/18 Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
Hi, I just tried Pharo2.0 Latest update: #20596 with the following VM (on Windows): 

NBCoInterpreter NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid: a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
NBCogit NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid: a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit: 412abef33cbed05cf1d75329e451d71c0c6aa5a7 Date: 2013-03-13 17:48:50 +0100 By: Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> Jenkins build #14535

Cheers,
Richo

Thanks a lot!

Bernat.

'/dev/ttyUSB0'
'/dev//ttyUSB0'
'/dev/ttyusb0'
'/dev//ttyusb0'
'ttyUSB0'
'ttyusb0'

Esteban

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
Hi Bernat,

I'm going on vacations tomorrow, but if you provide me a way to test the plugin (like for example doing a remote session ;) ), I promise to work on fix it as soon as I'm back (I'm going out just one week). 

can you locate some time for doing it?

Esteban

On Jul 19, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ricardo,

By using exactly your same packages, it still didn't work on Linux. So I guess I'm stuck with a proprietary system for the moment... :(

It seems to work on Mac, no compiling or tweaking needed, so I'll start working on a Mac box for the moment, although I'm as productive on anything but my PC as if coding with a typewriter...

I'll still keep looking at the Unix plugin code to see if I can fix it. I think I've spotted something weird at:

}

This fprintf prints:

Notice the last character inside the parens. Sometimes it's a $!, sometimes it's a $9. This smells like we're reading one position more than needed from the char array, but I've tried changing its size and, even when portName has the right value, open() still returns -1...

Cheers,
Richo

Thanks a lot!

Bernat.

'/dev/ttyUSB0'
'/dev//ttyUSB0'
'/dev/ttyusb0'
'/dev//ttyusb0'
'ttyUSB0'
'ttyusb0'

Esteban

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Esteban!

Wow, thank you so much! I'll ask the IT guy and see how can we set up a remote session for next week! :)

Disfruta de las vacaciones!

2013/7/19 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
Hi Bernat,

I'm going on vacations tomorrow, but if you provide me a way to test the plugin (like for example doing a remote session ;) ), I promise to work on fix it as soon as I'm back (I'm going out just one week). 

can you locate some time for doing it?

Esteban

On Jul 19, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ricardo,

}

This fprintf prints:

Cheers,
Richo

Thanks a lot!

Bernat.

'/dev/ttyUSB0'
'/dev//ttyUSB0'
'/dev/ttyusb0'
'/dev//ttyusb0'
'ttyUSB0'
'ttyusb0'

Esteban

compilation terminated.

Hi!

Guille

compilation terminated.

compilation terminated.

Any ideas? 

> Hi Friedrich,
>
>
> (0xb7746000)
> (0xb7742000)
> (0xb75c5000)
>

Regards
Friedrich

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--