SerialPort - named ports on Linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I recalled seeing mention of the Linux vm's now supporting named ports, and I found the code for that, at least in the vm.  My understanding gets fuzzy as we enter the plugin and primitives.  At a minimum, there are a few ByName methods to be added, and Squeak 4.1 contains open and close methods that test on type (int vs. string) to open or close by name or not as appropriate.

Is this as simple as gathering the changes and adding them to Pharo, or does it require VMMaker magic?

Bill

Re: SerialPort - named ports on Linux

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 02:24:37PM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recalled seeing mention of the Linux vm's now supporting named ports, and I found the code for that, at least in the vm.  My understanding gets fuzzy as we enter the plugin and primitives.  At a minimum, there are a few ByName methods to be added, and Squeak 4.1 contains open and close methods that test on type (int vs. string) to open or close by name or not as appropriate.
>
> Is this as simple as gathering the changes and adding them to Pharo, or does it require VMMaker magic?

Bill,

I don't have a Pharo image handy to check right now, but look at class SerialPort.
Methods such as #openPort: should accept either integer (port number) or string
(named device) parameters (if not, grab it from a Squeak image). All changes are
in the VMs already, so there is nothing to worry about on the VMMaker side.

If you need the background on this, it's at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266.

Dave

Re: SerialPort - named ports on Linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

It's not obvious to me that Pharo won't take strings, but it looks that way because Squeak 4.1 has tests on type and by-name methods that are not in Pharo.  One thought I had was to file the class out of Squeak and into Pharo, perhaps fixing _ vs. := and any other hassles that might arise.

Should that work?

Bill

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 02:24:37PM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recalled seeing mention of the Linux vm's now supporting named ports, and I found the code for that, at least in the vm.  My understanding gets fuzzy as we enter the plugin and primitives.  At a minimum, there are a few ByName methods to be added, and Squeak 4.1 contains open and close methods that test on type (int vs. string) to open or close by name or not as appropriate.
>
> Is this as simple as gathering the changes and adding them to Pharo, or does it require VMMaker magic?

Bill,

I don't have a Pharo image handy to check right now, but look at class SerialPort.
Methods such as #openPort: should accept either integer (port number) or string
(named device) parameters (if not, grab it from a Squeak image). All changes are
in the VMs already, so there is nothing to worry about on the VMMaker side.

If you need the background on this, it's at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266.

Dave

Re: SerialPort - named ports on Linux

SergeStinckwich
To be tested : http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1057

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recalled seeing mention of the Linux vm's now supporting named ports, and I found the code for that, at least in the vm.  My understanding gets fuzzy as we enter the plugin and primitives.  At a minimum, there are a few ByName methods to be added, and Squeak 4.1 contains open and close methods that test on type (int vs. string) to open or close by name or not as appropriate.
>
> Is this as simple as gathering the changes and adding them to Pharo, or does it require VMMaker magic?
>
> Bill

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: SerialPort - named ports on Linux

David T. Lewis
Sure, I think that should work fine.

Dave

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:27:15PM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Dave,
>
> It's not obvious to me that Pharo won't take strings, but it looks that way because Squeak 4.1 has tests on type and by-name methods that are not in Pharo.  One thought I had was to file the class out of Squeak and into Pharo, perhaps fixing _ vs. := and any other hassles that might arise.
>
> Should that work?
>
> Bill

Are the VM changes you mention the ones that exist now in the Linux VM?

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recalled seeing mention of the Linux vm's now supporting named ports, and I found the code for that, at least in the vm.  My understanding gets fuzzy as we enter the plugin and primitives.  At a minimum, there are a few ByName methods to be added, and Squeak 4.1 contains open and close methods that test on type (int vs. string) to open or close by name or not as appropriate.
>
> Is this as simple as gathering the changes and adding them to Pharo, or does it require VMMaker magic?
>
> Bill

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/