Server freezes when debugger opens

Long Haired David
Hi everyone.

I have a server running VAST 9.0 and Seaside. I have two web sites using Seaside. I am not running an executable but using the VAST image as both sites are under pretty much constant development so it is easier this way.

However, whenever the debugger opens, the Seaside servers freeze. I then have to stop them and start them again. From then on everything is fine. There is no special error that causes the freeze.

Can anyone suggest why these servers freeze at this point? As it is, I have to eep monitoring the sites to check that they are still running.
David

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Server freezes when debugger opens

jtuchel
David,

If I understand correctly, you run a development image, not a packaged headless image.

First, to understand your situation: what happens if you resume the debugger? I can confirm that no Seaside requests are being handled as long as you have a debugger open. Once you resume or close the debugger, requests are being served again.
If that is not the case, I am not sure what you can do.

So what you need to do then is keep the debugger from popping up (maybe based on some conditions like System>>#isRuntime). Seaside offers Error handler components to do exactly that. Seaside comes with several such handlers, some display an error page, some open a debugger. You can subclass them and implement your desired behaviour.

As a starting point, look at Class WAHtmlErrorHandler.

What's important is that you register the Error Handler in your Seaside Application when you start things up:

app := (WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: somPath').
app exceptionHandler: MyExceptionHandlerClass.

HTH,

Joachim