Services

Alain Plantec-4
gloups!
I've just discovered that the Preferences class has a child.
yes, yes, it is the ServicePreferences class with a dictionary full of
Preference instances.
So, I was always wondering, what are services ? are they used ?
I don't know if I will have enough energy for that but do you think it
is possible to
use pragmas as we do for settings ? use the Setting browser for services
? (Lukas ?)
thanks
Alain

Re: Services

Alain Plantec-4
Alain Plantec a écrit :
> gloups!
> I've just discovered that the Preferences class has a child.
> yes, yes, it is the ServicePreferences class with a dictionary full of
> Preference instances.
> So, I was always wondering, what are services ? are they used ?
I've browsed a little bit, now I think I understand, it's a kind of
service providing framework
which allows dynamically built menus
and yes it seems to be used.

> I don't know if I will have enough energy for that but do you think it
> is possible to
> use pragmas as we do for settings ? use the Setting browser for
> services ? (Lukas ?)
> thanks
> Alain

Re: Services

Marcus Denker-4

On Dec 17, 2009, at 10:25 PM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Alain Plantec a écrit :
>> gloups!
>> I've just discovered that the Preferences class has a child.
>> yes, yes, it is the ServicePreferences class with a dictionary full of
>> Preference instances.
>> So, I was always wondering, what are services ? are they used ?
> I've browsed a little bit, now I think I understand, it's a kind of
> service providing framework
> which allows dynamically built menus

Yes... we once discusses this with Adrian and Stef, and we think it might
be good to remove it for now... because

> and yes it seems to be used.

not really. there are hooks in the tools, but I think almost no services defined.
Services is a bit complex for what it does, and it uses the very ugly Preferences
and it's browser...

So: remove for now, think about what we want instead in the future.

        Marcus

Re: Services

Alain

service were developed by romain robbes.
We pushed that in 3.9 with the hope that it would be an important architectural backbone
now few applications use it. And in the future we will have to think about what to do.
For example FileList is using it. Ideally the menu or menubar could use them.
Now it requires a deeper analysis and vision. I believe that this is important but
there is a difference between important and used.

Stef