Serving files from Swazoo for VisualWorks 7.8.1

Serving files from Swazoo for VisualWorks 7.8.1

cdavidshaffer
I'm trying to serve file-based Amber Smalltalk using Swazoo 2.3beta2.1
from the public Store Repository running on VisualWorks 7.8.  The first
problem I encounter is a DNU in FileResponse>>printEntityOn: at the line
that reads:

    rs lineEndTransparent.

It appears that rs is an SpFileStream which doesn't understand this
selector.  The fix is simple:

SpFileStream>>lineEndTransparent

    underlyingStream lineEndTransparent

which then leads to a DNU at FileResponse>>printEntityOn: (same method)
at the line that reads:

                    [[[rs atEnd] whileFalse: [aStream nextPutAll: (rs
nextAvailable: 2000)]]

again, adding nextAvailable: to SpFileStream fixes the problem:

SpFileStream>>nextAvailable: aNumber

    ^underlyingStream nextAvailable: aNumber

After these changes Swazoo seems to serve text files but it doesn't do a
good job serving binary files.  I found that changing the send of
#lineEndTransparent to a send of #binary gives me a robust (so far)
server.  Thought these notes might be helpful to someone...of course I
could simply be misusing this entire framework...

David

Re: Serving files from Swazoo for VisualWorks 7.8.1

Janko Mivšek
Hi David,

Thanks for debugging the Swazoo FileServer, which hardly anyone is
using, that's why so many bugs.

I changed stream to be binary and added #nextAvailable method. It will
be in next beta after we update WebSocket support as well.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

On May 3, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for debugging the Swazoo FileServer, which hardly anyone is
> using, that's why so many bugs.
>
> I changed stream to be binary and added #nextAvailable method. It will
> be in next beta after we update WebSocket support as well.
>
> Best regards
> Janko

Thanks, makes sense.  Swazoo is a very clean web server framework IMHO.  I'm enjoying putting it to use.

Best wishes,

David