Session Timeout and Redirect

Ramon Leon
Hi, I wonder if anyone who's running Apache as a front end has had an
issue such that when the session times out, it redirects back but now
includes the port number and is hitting Squeak directly instead of
Apache?  How do I disable this, or force it to redirect without
including the port in the url?

Re: Session Timeout and Redirect

Rick Flower
Ramon Leon wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if anyone who's running Apache as a front end has had an
> issue such that when the session times out, it redirects back but now
> includes the port number and is hitting Squeak directly instead of
> Apache?  How do I disable this, or force it to redirect without
> including the port in the url?

Ramon,

I believe what you're talking about has to do with a reverse proxy...
Basically using Apache as a front-end
to your Squeak (or VW) image running some form of a Seaside
application.. I tried doing the Apache
reverse proxy and had difficulty setting it up properly and after
countless hours wasted debugging the issue,
I resorted to using Squid as my reverse proxy instead and using a small
Python script to re-write URL's
on the fly.. It works great and I believe it completely negates the
issue you mentioned above..

-- Rick

RE: Session Timeout and Redirect

Ramon Leon
> I believe what you're talking about has to do with a reverse proxy...
> Basically using Apache as a front-end
> to your Squeak (or VW) image running some form of a Seaside
> application.. I tried doing the Apache reverse proxy and had
> difficulty setting it up properly and after countless hours
> wasted debugging the issue, I resorted to using Squid as my
> reverse proxy instead and using a small Python script to
> re-write URL's on the fly.. It works great and I believe it
> completely negates the issue you mentioned above..
>
> -- Rick

Well, other than this issue, it's working great, and I don't want to
start down another path, I like this approach, my basic setup I copied
from Lucas, he posted a while back, looks something like this...

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin [hidden email]
        ServerName scriptaculous.sentorsa.com
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$
http://scriptaculous.sentorsa.com:94/seaside/scriptaculous/$1 [P,L]
</VirtualHost>

Lucas, if you're around, have an opinion?

Re: Session Timeout and Redirect

Benjamin Schroeder-2

On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Ramon Leon wrote:

> Well, other than this issue, it's working great, and I don't want to
> start down another path, I like this approach, my basic setup I copied
> from Lucas, he posted a while back, looks something like this...
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerAdmin [hidden email]
> ServerName scriptaculous.sentorsa.com
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$
> http://scriptaculous.sentorsa.com:94/seaside/scriptaculous/$1 [P,L]
> </VirtualHost>

We have a setup like this, but with an additional rule - something like

        ProxyPassReverse /seaside/scriptaculous/ http://
scriptaculous.sentorsa.com/

I'm not certain this is exactly what you need (especially in the
particulars - I cribbed this from one of our conf files), but
hopefully it is a good starting point.

(I also don't know if you need additional modules or the like.)

Hope this helps,
Ben Schroeder

RE: Session Timeout and Redirect

Ramon Leon
> We have a setup like this, but with an additional rule -
> something like
>
> ProxyPassReverse /seaside/scriptaculous/ http://
> scriptaculous.sentorsa.com/
>
> I'm not certain this is exactly what you need (especially in
> the particulars - I cribbed this from one of our conf files),
> but hopefully it is a good starting point.

Hmm, I'll try that tonight and see if it works, thanks.