Set Rounding mode for IEEE floating point operations

Set Rounding mode for IEEE floating point operations

Steffen Märcker
Hi,

is there any way to set the rounding mode for IEEE floating point
operations? Maybe something like

> Double roundToMinusInfWhile: [... code goes here ...]Double
> roundToZeroWhile: [... more code here ...]

If not, is it possible to add this behavior, e.g., via a custom primitive?

Best, Steffen

Re: Set Rounding mode for IEEE floating point operations

SergeStinckwich

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Steffen Märcker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

is there any way to set the rounding mode for IEEE floating point
operations? Maybe something like

Double roundToMinusInfWhile: [... code goes here ...]Double roundToZeroWhile: [... more code here ...]

If not, is it possible to add this behavior, e.g., via a custom primitive?

​This might interesting to have something like that for PolyMath, but I'm a little worried of subtle consequences
that might appear in UI if you use points for examples.​

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Set Rounding mode for IEEE floating point operations

Steffen Märcker
Yes, I was considering this in the context of some approximation
algorithms. Maybe one of the VM experts here could comment on the
possibility to implement that?

Am .01.2018, 10:00 Uhr, schrieb Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Steffen Märcker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any way to set the rounding mode for IEEE floating point
>> operations? Maybe something like
>>
>> Double roundToMinusInfWhile: [... code goes here ...]Double
>>> roundToZeroWhile: [... more code here ...]
>>>

>> If not, is it possible to add this behavior, e.g., via a custom
>> primitive?
>>

> ​This might interesting to have something like that for PolyMath, but
> I'm a
> little worried of subtle consequences
> that might appear in UI if you use points for examples.​

Re: Set Rounding mode for IEEE floating point operations

Steffen Märcker
*bump*

I guess there no way to do this now. But maybe a VM guy can give me how
difficult it might be to extend the VM accordingly.

Best, Steffen

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM Steffen Märcker <[hidden email]> wrote:
*bump*

I guess there no way to do this now. But maybe a VM guy can give me how
difficult it might be to extend the VM accordingly.

​Yes you should followup this question to the VM mailing-list.
so we don't forget about it ?​

​Do you have specific needs behind this ?​

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)