Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Stéphane Ducasse
during the sprint niko schwarz and oscar nierstrasz fixed the Set in nil entry.
Thanks.

Now does somebody with knowledge could have a look because this is a sensitive
part of the system and more eyes does not hurt.

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> during the sprint niko schwarz and oscar nierstrasz fixed the Set in nil entry.
> Thanks.

Why did you choose Igor's negative tally hack instead of the SetElement
version?

Levente

> Now does somebody with knowledge could have a look because this is a sensitive
> part of the system and more eyes does not hurt.
>
> Stef

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Stéphane Ducasse
Niko Oscar?

Stef

On Mar 14, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> during the sprint niko schwarz and oscar nierstrasz fixed the Set in nil entry.
>> Thanks.
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1907
>
> Why did you choose Igor's negative tally hack instead of the SetElement version?
>

> Levente
>

>> Now does somebody with knowledge could have a look because this is a sensitive
>> part of the system and more eyes does not hurt.
>>
>> Stef

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Igor Stasenko
2010/3/14 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> during the sprint niko schwarz and oscar nierstrasz fixed the Set in nil
>> entry.
>> Thanks.
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1907
>
> Why did you choose Igor's negative tally hack instead of the SetElement
> version?

I'd prefer to use SetElement, unless there was a decision made, to use
negative tally.
We had a quite big discussion around it on squeak-dev, and most
developers said that SetElement
is the way to go, because it is clean, OO-oriented, even if somewhat
slower comparing to other approaches.

> Levente
>

>> Now does somebody with knowledge could have a look because this is a
>> sensitive
>> part of the system and more eyes does not hurt.
>>
>> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 15.03.2010 00:18, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2010/3/14 Levente Uzonyi<[hidden email]>:
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> during the sprint niko schwarz and oscar nierstrasz fixed the Set in nil
>>> entry.
>>> Thanks.
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1907
>> Why did you choose Igor's negative tally hack instead of the SetElement
>> version?
>>
> I'd prefer to use SetElement, unless there was a decision made, to use
> negative tally.
> We had a quite big discussion around it on squeak-dev, and most
> developers said that SetElement
> is the way to go, because it is clean, OO-oriented, even if somewhat
> slower comparing to other approaches.

+1

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Stéphane Ducasse
so may be the bug entry should have stated that because oscar and nico spend a day on it.

Stef

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> so may be the bug entry should have stated that because oscar and nico spend a day on it.

The good news is that the tests are ready which is probably the larger
part. The bad news is that integrating the tally hack is easier, than the
SetElement version (which is also Igor's code, but that may not be clear
from my previous mail).

Levente

> Stef
>
> On Mar 15, 2010, at 12:56 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

>>> I'd prefer to use SetElement, unless there was a decision made, to use
>>> negative tally.
>>> We had a quite big discussion around it on squeak-dev, and most
>>> developers said that SetElement
>>> is the way to go, because it is clean, OO-oriented, even if somewhat
>>> slower comparing to other approaches.
>>>
>> +1

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Stéphane Ducasse
ok thanks for the information.

On Mar 15, 2010, at 7:08 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> so may be the bug entry should have stated that because oscar and nico spend a day on it.
>
> The good news is that the tests are ready which is probably the larger part. The bad news is that integrating the tally hack is easier, than the SetElement version (which is also Igor's code, but that may not be clear from my previous mail).
>

> Levente
>

>> Stef

>>> +1

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Oscar Nierstrasz

Yes, we focused on getting a working version with all the tests running.

Frankly we could not load the SetElement version, so we focused on the other approach, even if it is hackier.  If we had had time, we would have then invested some effort into understanding how to get the other approach working without freezing the image, as it is certainly cleaner.

There is still some work to do ...

- on

On 15 Mar 2010, at 07:08, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> so may be the bug entry should have stated that because oscar and nico spend a day on it.
>
> The good news is that the tests are ready which is probably the larger part. The bad news is that integrating the tally hack is easier, than the SetElement version (which is also Igor's code, but that may not be clear from my previous mail).
>

> Levente
>

>> Stef

>>> +1

Re: Set with nil is fixed and waiting for a nice reviewer

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks oscar