Setting current system time?

Sebastián
Hello everybody,

    First I'd like to thank Ken Lee for the tip of MicroAngelo (nice app).

    Here the millon dolar question:

    Have anyone set the system time and date from a dolphin application?
    How do you do this?

    I haven't found how to do this yet.

regards,

Sebastian

Re: Setting current system time?

David Royal
Sebastian

If you mean setting the time and date to add a time stamp then this is
straightforward:-

Time dateAndTimeNow

If you mean resetting the system date and time from within a Dolphin
Application I guess this could be done - you would need to add the Windows
message SetSystemTime message to the KernalLibrary and I think you would
also have to add system privilages to the calling process

David

"Sebastian" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:95h156$go2b1$[hidden email]...

> Hello everybody,
>
>     First I'd like to thank Ken Lee for the tip of MicroAngelo (nice app).
>
>     Here the millon dolar question:
>
>     Have anyone set the system time and date from a dolphin application?
>     How do you do this?
>
>     I haven't found how to do this yet.
>
> regards,
>
> Sebastian

RE: Setting current system time?

Sebastian-3
Hi David,

    yes, I need to set the system time to sincronize the time and date
between differents dolphin applicationd on a LAN. I set it in one app and
they comunicate each other through sockets an set the same system time.

    I'm affraid I don't have been using the kernel before. How do I add that
message and where I can get info about the parameters of that call? I don't
know how to prepare the data.

thanks, regards

Sebastian

David Royal <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
95hd0c$eu1$[hidden email]...

> Sebastian
>
> If you mean setting the time and date to add a time stamp then this is
> straightforward:-
>
> Time dateAndTimeNow
>
> If you mean resetting the system date and time from within a Dolphin
> Application I guess this could be done - you would need to add the Windows
> message SetSystemTime message to the KernalLibrary and I think you would
> also have to add system privilages to the calling process
>
> David
>
> "Sebastian" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:95h156$go2b1$[hidden email]...
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> >     First I'd like to thank Ken Lee for the tip of MicroAngelo (nice
app).

> >     Here the millon dolar question:
> >
> >     Have anyone set the system time and date from a dolphin application?
> >     How do you do this?
> >
> >     I haven't found how to do this yet.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Sebastian
> > [hidden email]
> > [hidden email]

RE: Setting current system time?

David Royal
Sebastian
This appears to work on my Win98 machine:

Add the following method to KernelLibrary

setSystemTime: aSYSTEMTIME
        "Sets the  local date and time.
        BOOL SetSystemTime(
            CONST SYSTEMTIME *lpSystemTime // address of system
time to set
    );"

        < stdcall: bool SetSystemTime SYSTEMTIME* >
        ^self invalidCall

In a workspace the following sets the clock forward by 1 hour

time:=SYSTEMTIME now.
time wHour:(time wHour +1).
KernelLibrary default setSystemTime:time

Hope this helps

David

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

RE: Setting current system time? (strange results)

Sebastian-3
Hi David,

    I think your method works but we are missing something here.

    I've added your >>setSystemTime: to the kernel, then I evaluate the
workspace that you provided me.

    time := SYSTEMTIME now. a SYSTEMTIME(18:51:01, Martes, 06 de Febrero de
2001)
    time wHour:(time wHour +1). a SYSTEMTIME(19:51:01, Martes, 06 de Febrero
de 2001)

    KernelLibrary default setSystemTime:time. true

    Time now 16:51:19    this is the pathologic one.

    my system time goes 2 hours backwards.

    I runnin it on a win98 (spanish version). Could the local settings be
involved?

regards

Sebastian

Re: Setting current system time? (strange results)

David Royal
Sebastian

Strange - I'm not sure what is happening here - it seems to work correctly
on my work and home machines ( both running Win98SE -English version).
Perhaps someone else would try it?

David
"Sebastian" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:95s930$ikcq7$[hidden email]...
> Hi David,
>
>     I think your method works but we are missing something here.
>
>     I've added your >>setSystemTime: to the kernel, then I evaluate the
> workspace that you provided me.
>
>     time := SYSTEMTIME now. a SYSTEMTIME(18:51:01, Martes, 06 de Febrero
de
> 2001)
>     time wHour:(time wHour +1). a SYSTEMTIME(19:51:01, Martes, 06 de
Febrero

> de 2001)
>
>     KernelLibrary default setSystemTime:time. true
>
>     Time now 16:51:19    this is the pathologic one.
>
>     my system time goes 2 hours backwards.
>
>     I runnin it on a win98 (spanish version). Could the local settings be
> involved?
>
> regards
>
> Sebastian

Re: Setting current system time? (strange results)

Steve Waring-2
Hi David and Sebastian,

I think the problem is that you are asking for a local time, and then
setting "system" time which is Universal time. Have a look at;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sysmgmt/time_5gh1.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sysmgmt/time_7xr9.htm

Instead of using  KernelLibrary>>setSystemTime: use
KernelLibrary>>setLocalTime:

David, do you live in the time zone where UTC=Local time?

Steve

SYSTEMTIME now answers local time, and setSystemTime set

"David Royal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:95tifo$dab$[hidden email]...

> Sebastian
>
> Strange - I'm not sure what is happening here - it seems to work correctly
> on my work and home machines ( both running Win98SE -English version).
> Perhaps someone else would try it?
>
> David
> "Sebastian" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:95s930$ikcq7$[hidden email]...
> > Hi David,
> >
> >     I think your method works but we are missing something here.
> >
> >     I've added your >>setSystemTime: to the kernel, then I evaluate the
> > workspace that you provided me.
> >
> >     time := SYSTEMTIME now. a SYSTEMTIME(18:51:01, Martes, 06 de Febrero
> de
> > 2001)
> >     time wHour:(time wHour +1). a SYSTEMTIME(19:51:01, Martes, 06 de
> Febrero
> > de 2001)
> >
> >     KernelLibrary default setSystemTime:time. true
> >
> >     Time now 16:51:19    this is the pathologic one.
> >
> >     my system time goes 2 hours backwards.
> >
> >     I runnin it on a win98 (spanish version). Could the local settings
be

> > involved?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Sebastian

Re: Setting current system time? (strange results)

davidroyal
Steve

> I think the problem is that you are asking for a local time, and then
> setting "system" time which is Universal time. Have a look at;
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sysmgmt/time_5gh1.htm
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sysmgmt/time_7xr9.htm
>
> Instead of using  KernelLibrary>>setSystemTime: use
> KernelLibrary>>setLocalTime:
>
> David, do you live in the time zone where UTC=Local time?

Thanks Steve - I do indeed live in the GMT timezone ( north east
England) and so my local time would =UTC.

David

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

RE: Setting current system time? (strange results)

Sebastian-3
Thank you Both !

    I love this list !

best regards,