Settings Browser

Geert Claes
Administrator

I have to say that the new Settings Browser in 1.1 is a huge improvement over
the old Preference Browser.

It's just that I can't seem to figure out how to save the settings I have
changed?  I did noticed the "Style > New/Update/Load/Browse/Remove".  I
managed to create a new style, but when selecting "Style>Update" I get this
tiny window titled "Choose" with a wee white box and a Cancel button?  Am I
missing something?

ps. What is the "Blab email" in the Network section?

http://n4.nabble.com/file/n2132539/Settings_Browser.png

Re: Settings Browser

Alain Plantec-4
Le 06/05/2010 14:25, Geert Claes a écrit :

Hi Geert,

> It's just that I can't seem to figure out how to save the settings I have
> changed?  I did noticed the "Style>  New/Update/Load/Browse/Remove".

yes, if you want to save your current settings you can create a new
styles (Style/New).
A style is simply a class for which you give a prefix (the name of the
class is <prefix>SettingStyle)
it is created in the UserSettingStyle sys. cat.
After you have created it, you can load/update/browse/remove it from the
Style menu.
You can change the class name suffix and the sys. cat. naming rule
directly from the setting browser.

you can also create a new style without the setting browser.
In fact, it can be whatever class which provides the following  two methods:

MyOwnStyle class >>styleName
     "return the style name and is tagged with <settingstyle>
     so that the setting browser recognizes it as a style"
<settingstyle>
     ^ 'MyOwn'

MyOwnStyle>>load
     "set your preferences as an example:"
     UIThemeSoftSqueak beCurrent.

> managed to create a new style,
> but when selecting "Style>Update" I get this
> tiny window titled "Choose" with a wee white box and a Cancel button?  Am I
> missing something?

You have created a style named 'MyOwn' (you can enter another name when
you create a style).
So, select the 'MyOwn' item and then, the state of the settings will be
updated.

To try it:
as an example, change the world color or the network proxy or the fonts...
update your style (Style/Update then choose 'MyOwn')
return to another one (Style/load then choose 'Default' or 'Demo' as an
example)
then come back to your own style (Style/load choose 'MyOwn')
> ps. What is the "Blab email" in the Network section?

it is used in HTTPSocket for GET and POST protocols.
(see the users of the HTTPBlabEmail class variable in HTTPSocket)
can't really say more, maybe a network wizard could explain.

from your screenshot -
don't forget that you have to accept your new value in text entries with
cmd-s or with the enter key.

thanks Geert for your feedbacks.

Cheers
Alain

> http://n4.nabble.com/file/n2132539/Settings_Browser.png

Re: Settings Browser

Geert Claes
Administrator
Alain Plantec-4 wrote
from your screenshot -
don't forget that you have to accept your new value in text entries with
cmd-s or with the enter key.
Thanks Alain.  I have now managed to save the HTTP Proxy port and Server now using the ctrl-s (windows) but the User name and password just disappear when I try to accept the new values?

Would probably a bit more intuitive if there was a button to accept the changes values, maybe the Style > Update could do an accept of all changed values before updating?

Re: Settings Browser

Alain Plantec-4
Le 07/05/2010 16:21, Geert Claes a écrit :

> Alain Plantec-4 wrote:
>
>> from your screenshot -
>> don't forget that you have to accept your new value in text entries with
>> cmd-s or with the enter key.
>>

> Thanks Alain.  I have now managed to save the HTTP Proxy port and Server now
> using the ctrl-s (windows) but the User name and password just disappear
> when I try to accept the new values?

argh! I will fix that soon
> Would probably a bit more intuitive if there was a button to accept the
> changes values,maybe the Style>  Update could do an accept of all changed
> values before updating?

yes, I had the same discussion with Mariano some time ago.
It is not comfortable to be constrained to accept each field like this.
Now that we have a hook for window closing, I think I can improve it.
Thanks again
Alain

Re: Settings Browser

Mariano Martinez Peck

Alain Plantec-4 wrote:

from your screenshot -
don't forget that you have to accept your new value in text entries with
cmd-s or with the enter key.

Thanks Alain.  I have now managed to save the HTTP Proxy port and Server now
using the ctrl-s (windows) but the User name and password just disappear
when I try to accept the new values?

argh! I will fix that soon

Would probably a bit more intuitive if there was a button to accept the
changes values,maybe the Style>  Update could do an accept of all changed
values before updating?

yes, I had the same discussion with Mariano some time ago.
It is not comfortable to be constrained to accept each field like this.
Now that we have a hook for window closing, I think I can improve it.
Thanks again

hahahhaha I remember these two ;)

yes, it was exactly that :)

Alain