Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Settings for Shout syntax highlighting

Simon Denier-3
Hi

A new package Settings-Shout in the Pharo Inbox for issue 1611

SLICE-Issue-1611-ShoutSettings-simon_denier.1

You can now set how (for example), instance variables, selector patterns, class references appears in the Shout pane.
One point is that Shout comes with a list of hundred token types which can be individually customized, some of which I have no idea what they represent (externalCallTypePointerIndicator?). To keep things manageable, I defined some groups of logically related token types (like the gorup 'selector patterns' for token types patternKeyword, patternBinary, patternUnary).

"Class SHGroupStyle manages settings for the Shout syntax highlighting. Token types are organized in logical groups which will share the same style. Currently, only color and emphasis can be edited through Shout settings. Text font and size are managed through the more general appearance setting. Changing a style setting on a SHGroupStyle automatically applies the style.

Groups are defined in the class-side method initializeGroups. Alternatively, one can set its own style table using Shout tokens by calling #customStyleTable (see SHTextStylerST80 class>>defaultStyleTable for the format)."

Help needed:
1) code review
2) review group definition, because I made some groups based partly on my intuition, partly on styling difference in the current difference: there may be a better partition of token types.
3) review description for group, setting organization...

Thanks to Alain for helping with settings and especially polymorph widgets.

--
 Simon

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Settings for Shout syntax highlighting

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks!

Stef

On Sep 13, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Simon Denier wrote:

> Hi
>
> A new package Settings-Shout in the Pharo Inbox for issue 1611
>
> SLICE-Issue-1611-ShoutSettings-simon_denier.1
>
> You can now set how (for example), instance variables, selector patterns, class references appears in the Shout pane.
> One point is that Shout comes with a list of hundred token types which can be individually customized, some of which I have no idea what they represent (externalCallTypePointerIndicator?). To keep things manageable, I defined some groups of logically related token types (like the gorup 'selector patterns' for token types patternKeyword, patternBinary, patternUnary).
>
> "Class SHGroupStyle manages settings for the Shout syntax highlighting. Token types are organized in logical groups which will share the same style. Currently, only color and emphasis can be edited through Shout settings. Text font and size are managed through the more general appearance setting. Changing a style setting on a SHGroupStyle automatically applies the style.
>
> Groups are defined in the class-side method initializeGroups. Alternatively, one can set its own style table using Shout tokens by calling #customStyleTable (see SHTextStylerST80 class>>defaultStyleTable for the format)."
>
>
> Help needed:
> 1) code review
> 2) review group definition, because I made some groups based partly on my intuition, partly on styling difference in the current difference: there may be a better partition of token types.
> 3) review description for group, setting organization...
>
>
> Thanks to Alain for helping with settings and especially polymorph widgets.
>
> --
>  Simon
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project

Reply | Threaded
|

Lukas Renggli
Excellent, I merged the changes into the Shout package and the
existing preferences it already defined (package and setting wise).

http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted

Name: Shout-lr.88
Author: lr
Time: 13 September 2010, 11:24:32 am
UUID: 0646e300-30df-4c6f-8b5b-bd9437569194
Ancestors: Shout-lr.86

- merged the changes of simon and alain

Lukas

On 13 September 2010 11:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 13, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Simon Denier wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> A new package Settings-Shout in the Pharo Inbox for issue 1611
>>
>> SLICE-Issue-1611-ShoutSettings-simon_denier.1
>>
>> You can now set how (for example), instance variables, selector patterns, class references appears in the Shout pane.
>> One point is that Shout comes with a list of hundred token types which can be individually customized, some of which I have no idea what they represent (externalCallTypePointerIndicator?). To keep things manageable, I defined some groups of logically related token types (like the gorup 'selector patterns' for token types patternKeyword, patternBinary, patternUnary).
>>
>> "Class SHGroupStyle manages settings for the Shout syntax highlighting. Token types are organized in logical groups which will share the same style. Currently, only color and emphasis can be edited through Shout settings. Text font and size are managed through the more general appearance setting. Changing a style setting on a SHGroupStyle automatically applies the style.
>>
>> Groups are defined in the class-side method initializeGroups. Alternatively, one can set its own style table using Shout tokens by calling #customStyleTable (see SHTextStylerST80 class>>defaultStyleTable for the format)."
>>
>>
>> Help needed:
>> 1) code review
>> 2) review group definition, because I made some groups based partly on my intuition, partly on styling difference in the current difference: there may be a better partition of token types.
>> 3) review description for group, setting organization...
>>
>>
>> Thanks to Alain for helping with settings and especially polymorph widgets.
>>
>> --
>>  Simon
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Pharo-project mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>
>
> [hidden email]
>

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
In reply to this post by Simon Denier-3
Dumb question/request: background colors?  I like to choose something other than white to reduce contrast.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 5:00 AM
To: Pharo Development
Cc: Simon Denier
Subject: [Pharo-project] Settings for Shout syntax highlighting

Hi

A new package Settings-Shout in the Pharo Inbox for issue 1611<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1611>

You can now set how (for example), instance variables, selector patterns, class references appears in the Shout pane.
One point is that Shout comes with a list of hundred token types which can be individually customized, some of which I have no idea what they represent (externalCallTypePointerIndicator?). To keep things manageable, I defined some groups of logically related token types (like the gorup 'selector patterns' for token types patternKeyword, patternBinary, patternUnary).

"Class SHGroupStyle manages settings for the Shout syntax highlighting. Token types are organized in logical groups which will share the same style. Currently, only color and emphasis can be edited through Shout settings. Text font and size are managed through the more general appearance setting. Changing a style setting on a SHGroupStyle automatically applies the style.

Groups are defined in the class-side method initializeGroups. Alternatively, one can set its own style table using Shout tokens by calling #customStyleTable (see SHTextStylerST80 class>>defaultStyleTable for the format)."

Help needed:
1) code review
2) review group definition, because I made some groups based partly on my intuition, partly on styling difference in the current difference: there may be a better partition of token types.

--
 Simon

Reply | Threaded
|

Simon Denier-3

On 13 sept. 2010, at 13:06, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Dumb question/request: background colors?  I like to choose something other than white to reduce contrast.

mmm, actually I'm not sure what you mean. Shout highlights tokens in a text pane, I guess you don't want to change the background color for each token, but rather change the background for the whole editor pane. It should be a setting of the editor, or even a different Theme, but I can't tell much more.

>
>
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Simon Denier [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 5:00 AM
> To: Pharo Development
> Cc: Simon Denier
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Settings for Shout syntax highlighting
>
> Hi
>
> A new package Settings-Shout in the Pharo Inbox for issue 1611<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1611>
>
>
> You can now set how (for example), instance variables, selector patterns, class references appears in the Shout pane.
> One point is that Shout comes with a list of hundred token types which can be individually customized, some of which I have no idea what they represent (externalCallTypePointerIndicator?). To keep things manageable, I defined some groups of logically related token types (like the gorup 'selector patterns' for token types patternKeyword, patternBinary, patternUnary).
>
> "Class SHGroupStyle manages settings for the Shout syntax highlighting. Token types are organized in logical groups which will share the same style. Currently, only color and emphasis can be edited through Shout settings. Text font and size are managed through the more general appearance setting. Changing a style setting on a SHGroupStyle automatically applies the style.
>
> Groups are defined in the class-side method initializeGroups. Alternatively, one can set its own style table using Shout tokens by calling #customStyleTable (see SHTextStylerST80 class>>defaultStyleTable for the format)."
>
>
> Help needed:
> 1) code review
> 2) review group definition, because I made some groups based partly on my intuition, partly on styling difference in the current difference: there may be a better partition of token types.
>
>
>
> --
> Simon
>
>
>
>
> [hidden email]

--
 Simon

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I thought that too, but I was told there was a relevant style - I've never found it.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 11:24 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Settings for Shout syntax highlighting

On 13 sept. 2010, at 13:06, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Dumb question/request: background colors?  I like to choose something other than white to reduce contrast.

mmm, actually I'm not sure what you mean. Shout highlights tokens in a text pane, I guess you don't want to change the background color for each token, but rather change the background for the whole editor pane. It should be a setting of the editor, or even a different Theme, but I can't tell much more.

>
>
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Simon Denier [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 5:00 AM
> To: Pharo Development
> Cc: Simon Denier
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Settings for Shout syntax highlighting
>
> Hi
>
> A new package Settings-Shout in the Pharo Inbox for issue 1611<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1611>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Help needed:
> 1) code review
>
>
>
> --
> Simon
>
>
>
>
> [hidden email]

--
 Simon

Reply | Threaded
|

Simon Denier-3
Following some hints from Alain, a new version (it just removes a method extension)

Settings-Shout-simon_denier.2
in PharoInbox

On 13 sept. 2010, at 11:00, Simon Denier wrote:

Hi

One point is that Shout comes with a list of hundred token types which can be individually customized, some of which I have no idea what they represent (externalCallTypePointerIndicator?). To keep things manageable, I defined some groups of logically related token types (like the gorup 'selector patterns' for token types patternKeyword, patternBinary, patternUnary).

Help needed:
1) code review

--
 Simon

--
 Simon

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
Simon, we could review/integrate this during the Sprint on Friday

2010/9/14 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>
Following some hints from Alain, a new version (it just removes a method extension)

in PharoInbox

Hi

Help needed:
1) code review

--
 Simon

--
 Simon

Reply | Threaded
|

Simon Denier-3

On 28 sept. 2010, at 23:08, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Simon, we could review/integrate this during the Sprint on Friday

Unfortunately I will be on the road Friday. Anyway it's already integrated in the squeaksource repo.

2010/9/14 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>

in PharoInbox

Hi

Help needed:
1) code review

--
 Simon

--
 Simon

--
 Simon