Shall we forbid updating?

Damien Cassou
Hi,

in the Pharo images I produce, there is a System->Update that never
works. A lot of people are confused by it and don't know it only works
on the core. Shall we remove this item from the menu?

Bye

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Shall we forbid updating?

John E.
I just tried it last week and it failed horribly, and yet tried it today and it worked great.  I'm new to Pharo and tried it as I was used to updating Squeak frequently. If it's going to work in the future I'd say leave it.  If it's part of core only it would be nice to not see it other builds.

- John

Damien Cassou wrote

Damien Cassou

Re: Shall we forbid updating?

Adrian Lienhard
It would be interesting to understand what exactly the problem is. Has
anybody looked into it?

If it is hard to fix, we should disable the update function. When we
create an update, we (or at least I) only test with the core image.

Adrian

On Jul 20, 2009, at 19:24 , John E. wrote:

> I just tried it last week and it failed horribly, and yet tried it
> today and
> it worked great.  I'm new to Pharo and tried it as I was used to
> updating
> Squeak frequently. If it's going to work in the future I'd say leave
> it.  If
> it's part of core only it would be nice to not see it other builds.
>
> - John
>

> Damien Cassou wrote:
>>

>> in the Pharo images I produce, there is a System->Update that never
>> works. A lot of people are confused by it and don't know it only
>> works
>> on the core. Shall we remove this item from the menu?
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou

Re: Shall we forbid updating?

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Adrian Lienhard<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be interesting to understand what exactly the problem is. Has
> anybody looked into it?
>
> If it is hard to fix, we should disable the update function. When we
> create an update, we (or at least I) only test with the core image.

I can imagine multiple problems:

1- some packages override some methods of the core which are reseted
on update. That could be fixed but would require some work from
package maintainers
2- some updates require that no window are displayed (like Polymorph updates)

There are probably others

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Shall we forbid updating?

Andreas Leidig
Rehi,

the update more than once saved my day.

As I experienced problems with the context menus on vista on latest
images, the update function was the only workaround to get pharo
acessible at all.

Cheers,

Andreas