Shell script for getting started

bpi

Shell script for getting started

bpi
Dear fellow Cuisers,

I have forked Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev and included a shell script to create a new image, which I find useful. See the Getting Started section of the README.md here:
https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev

It's not yet ready for merging back to upstream. However, I would like to get some feedback. I am definitely not a shell programmer. ;-)

I tested it only on Mac but would like to include scripts which work on other platforms, too.

My goal is also to make trying out Cuis as easy as possible for complete Smalltalk newbies.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Shell script for getting started

Hannes Hirzel
Dear Bernhard

I realize that your approach is

mkdir CuisDevelopment
cd CuisDevelopment
git clone https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev.git
Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/bin/newImage.sh MyProject

and then

#!/bin/bash
NAME="$1"
mkdir $NAME
cd $NAME
../Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/bin/copyImage.sh $NAME Cuis4.2-1788
../Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/bin/getCog.sh 13.30 2761

This means

a) you clone the Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev setup from github
b) you create a copy of the image so that you have a working image in
a subdirectory 'myProjectName'

Questions:
- How does the newbie get the VM?
- Maybe it is easier to directly work with the image which come from
cloneing the github repository and exclude it from being pushed back.
In that case a fresh image may always be obtained again.

What do others think?

Yes, we need a smooth workflow....

Kind regards
Hannes

bpi

Re: Shell script for getting started

bpi
Hi Hannes,

Thanks for your feedback!

see inline

Am 09.08.2013 um 21:24 schrieb H. Hirzel:
> Questions:
> - How does the newbie get the VM?
That's what the getCog part of the script does.

> - Maybe it is easier to directly work with the image which come from
> cloneing the github repository and exclude it from being pushed back.
Well, I don't like to have to deal with .gitignore for images, changes, CuisDebug.log, temporary files created by tests, etc. Therefore, I prefer that my image directory itself is not a Git repo. That means I have to get a fresh image from the Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev repo.

> In that case a fresh image may always be obtained again.
I don't think I understand. That is what a script like mine ensures.

> Yes, we need a smooth workflow....
This is what I am trying to achieve. Not there yet, though.

But of course it is also a matter of taste. However, if we *could* agree on some conventions we could automate more, which I believe would be much easier for complete newbies.

Cheers,
Bernhard