Shipping the compiler?

Panu Viljamaa-5
I believe I read somewhere that you can ship the compiler
with Dolphin applications. Is this true? What exactly can
you *not* ship?  I've seen a list of 'forbidden' classes
somewhere, but what do they do? What is the rationale
behind forbidding their distribution?

Thanks
-Panu Viljamaa

Re: Shipping the compiler?

Costas
On Wed, 03 Jul 2002 13:47:16 GMT, Panu Viljamaa <panu@fcc.net_NOSPAM>
wrote:

>I believe I read somewhere that you can ship the compiler
>with Dolphin applications. Is this true? What exactly can
>you *not* ship?  I've seen a list of 'forbidden' classes
>somewhere, but what do they do? What is the rationale
>behind forbidding their distribution?

The rationale is simple. You cannot ship anything that would duplicate
the development environment (e.g. browsers, workspace, view composers,
packaging, etc). Otherwise you would be distributing Dolphin itself.

However the compiler is needed because at runtime you may wish to
compile Smalltalk and execute code from a source string. (Kind of like
late binding). An example of such use would be to have a method in a
file that sets the settings for an app but have it customizable by the
user. Instead of making  unwieldy INI files you can write Smalltalk
code and expressions in a txt file that your app compiles/runs at
startup.

Regards,

Costas