ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Tommaso DS
Hello everybody,

for those of you who were not at ESUG, I present ShoreLine Reporter.

ShoreLine Reporter is a Pharo plugin to collect stack traces from
exceptions and send them to a central repository.
You can give feedback to the community by breaking things: how cool is that?

* Why?

We are collecting stack traces for research purposes and to identify the
Pharo components that can be improved or optimized.
We are also working on a web platform where users can access the
submitted data and use them during the debugging process. More on that soon!

* How?

You can install ShoreLine Reporter by visiting the project page on
SmalltalkHub:
  http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dalsat/ShoreLine-Reporter/

Installing ShoreLine Reporter requires only a couple of seconds, and you
can configure it with the level of feedback that you prefer. On the
SmalltalkHub page you can find a script to automatically install
ShoreLine Reporter with every new Pharo image. Just drop it in your
Pharo preferences directory and forget about it.

Once ShoreLine Report is installed, you can decide to configure if you
want to be prompted to submit a stack trace, or to automatically submit
each exception without any bother.

* What?

We try to collect as few data as possible: the execution stacktrace, the
name of the author and the Pharo build. We do *not* any collect personal
data, such as passwords or repositories. The data is currently stored on
our server, at the University of Lugano.

* Compatibility

ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are improving
ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an update in
the following days.

For any problem, contact me!

Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

abergel
Shouldn’t the install script be:
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=
StartupLoader default executeAtomicItems: {
    StartupAction
        name: 'ShoreLine-Reporter Installer'
        code: [ [
            Gofer it
                smalltalkhubUser: 'dalsat' project: 'ShoreLine-Reporter';
                configuration;
                load.
            (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfShoreLineReporter) load.

            "Setting Reporter configuration"
            (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) enabled: true.
            (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) perform: #autoSubmit: with: true.
            (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) perform: #showSummary: with: false.
            (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) perform: #showNotification: with: true.

            ] asJob run ]
        runOnce: true.
}.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Oct 7, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Tommaso Dal Sasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> for those of you who were not at ESUG, I present ShoreLine Reporter.
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is a Pharo plugin to collect stack traces from exceptions and send them to a central repository.
> You can give feedback to the community by breaking things: how cool is that?
>

> * Why?
>
> We are collecting stack traces for research purposes and to identify the Pharo components that can be improved or optimized.
> We are also working on a web platform where users can access the submitted data and use them during the debugging process. More on that soon!
>

> * How?
>
> You can install ShoreLine Reporter by visiting the project page on SmalltalkHub:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dalsat/ShoreLine-Reporter/
>
> Installing ShoreLine Reporter requires only a couple of seconds, and you can configure it with the level of feedback that you prefer. On the SmalltalkHub page you can find a script to automatically install ShoreLine Reporter with every new Pharo image. Just drop it in your Pharo preferences directory and forget about it.
>
> Once ShoreLine Report is installed, you can decide to configure if you want to be prompted to submit a stack trace, or to automatically submit each exception without any bother.
>

> * What?
>
> We try to collect as few data as possible: the execution stacktrace, the name of the author and the Pharo build. We do *not* any collect personal data, such as passwords or repositories. The data is currently stored on our server, at the University of Lugano.
>

> * Compatibility
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are improving ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an update in the following days.
>

> For any problem, contact me!
>
> Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
> Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Tommaso DS
Yes, makes sense when installing it from the workspace.
I corrected it, thanks a lot!

Tommaso

On 07/10/14 23:20, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Shouldn’t the install script be:
> =-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=
> StartupLoader default executeAtomicItems: {
>      StartupAction
>          name: 'ShoreLine-Reporter Installer'
>          code: [ [
>              Gofer it
>                  smalltalkhubUser: 'dalsat' project: 'ShoreLine-Reporter';
>                  configuration;
>                  load.
>              (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfShoreLineReporter) load.
>
>              "Setting Reporter configuration"
>              (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) enabled: true.
>              (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) perform: #autoSubmit: with: true.
>              (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) perform: #showSummary: with: false.
>              (Smalltalk at: #SlReporter) perform: #showNotification: with: true.
>
>              ] asJob run ]
>          runOnce: true.
> }.
> =-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Marcus Denker-4
This is nice!

We should think about including this by default.

It will be interesting to see what can be deduced from the data!

        Marcus

> On 07 Oct 2014, at 18:23, Tommaso Dal Sasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> for those of you who were not at ESUG, I present ShoreLine Reporter.
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is a Pharo plugin to collect stack traces from exceptions and send them to a central repository.
> You can give feedback to the community by breaking things: how cool is that?
>

> * Why?
>
> We are collecting stack traces for research purposes and to identify the Pharo components that can be improved or optimized.
> We are also working on a web platform where users can access the submitted data and use them during the debugging process. More on that soon!
>

> * How?
>
> You can install ShoreLine Reporter by visiting the project page on SmalltalkHub:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dalsat/ShoreLine-Reporter/
>
> Installing ShoreLine Reporter requires only a couple of seconds, and you can configure it with the level of feedback that you prefer. On the SmalltalkHub page you can find a script to automatically install ShoreLine Reporter with every new Pharo image. Just drop it in your Pharo preferences directory and forget about it.
>
> Once ShoreLine Report is installed, you can decide to configure if you want to be prompted to submit a stack trace, or to automatically submit each exception without any bother.
>

> * What?
>
> We try to collect as few data as possible: the execution stacktrace, the name of the author and the Pharo build. We do *not* any collect personal data, such as passwords or repositories. The data is currently stored on our server, at the University of Lugano.
>

> * Compatibility
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are improving ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an update in the following days.
>

> For any problem, contact me!
>
> Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
> Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Esteban A. Maringolo
Do you have a link to ESUG's slides/presentation?

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

> Hello everybody,
>
> for those of you who were not at ESUG, I present ShoreLine Reporter.
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is a Pharo plugin to collect stack traces from exceptions
> and send them to a central repository.
> You can give feedback to the community by breaking things: how cool is that?
>

> * Why?
>
> We are collecting stack traces for research purposes and to identify the
> Pharo components that can be improved or optimized.
> We are also working on a web platform where users can access the submitted
> data and use them during the debugging process. More on that soon!
>

> * How?
>
> You can install ShoreLine Reporter by visiting the project page on
> SmalltalkHub:
>  http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dalsat/ShoreLine-Reporter/
>
> Installing ShoreLine Reporter requires only a couple of seconds, and you can
> configure it with the level of feedback that you prefer. On the SmalltalkHub
> page you can find a script to automatically install ShoreLine Reporter with
> every new Pharo image. Just drop it in your Pharo preferences directory and
> forget about it.
>
> Once ShoreLine Report is installed, you can decide to configure if you want
> to be prompted to submit a stack trace, or to automatically submit each
> exception without any bother.
>

> * What?
>
> We try to collect as few data as possible: the execution stacktrace, the
> name of the author and the Pharo build. We do *not* any collect personal
> data, such as passwords or repositories. The data is currently stored on our
> server, at the University of Lugano.
>

> * Compatibility
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are improving
> ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an update in the
> following days.
>

> For any problem, contact me!
>
> Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
> Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

tinchodias
Tommaso: I also started to load it

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have a link to ESUG's slides/presentation?

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

> Hello everybody,
>
> for those of you who were not at ESUG, I present ShoreLine Reporter.
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is a Pharo plugin to collect stack traces from exceptions
> and send them to a central repository.
> You can give feedback to the community by breaking things: how cool is that?
>

> * Why?
>
> We are collecting stack traces for research purposes and to identify the
> Pharo components that can be improved or optimized.
> We are also working on a web platform where users can access the submitted
> data and use them during the debugging process. More on that soon!
>

> * How?
>
> You can install ShoreLine Reporter by visiting the project page on
> SmalltalkHub:
http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dalsat/ShoreLine-Reporter/

> Installing ShoreLine Reporter requires only a couple of seconds, and you can
> configure it with the level of feedback that you prefer. On the SmalltalkHub
> page you can find a script to automatically install ShoreLine Reporter with
> every new Pharo image. Just drop it in your Pharo preferences directory and
> forget about it.
>
> Once ShoreLine Report is installed, you can decide to configure if you want
> to be prompted to submit a stack trace, or to automatically submit each
> exception without any bother.
>

> * What?
>
> We try to collect as few data as possible: the execution stacktrace, the
> name of the author and the Pharo build. We do *not* any collect personal
> data, such as passwords or repositories. The data is currently stored on our
> server, at the University of Lugano.
>

> * Compatibility
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are improving
> ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an update in the
> following days.
>

> For any problem, contact me!
>
> Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
> Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Tommaso DS
Hello,

thanks for the feedback!

I uploaded the slides here:
http://shoreline.inf.usi.ch/files/ESUG2014.pdf (I tried slideshare, but
it didm't work...).

The video of the presentation is among the ESUG2014 videos, this are the
direct links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PDQGlq4yxw&index=61&list=PLJ5nSnWzQXi_6yyRLsMMBqG8YlwfhvB0X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXdA-bcmyA&index=60&list=PLJ5nSnWzQXi_6yyRLsMMBqG8YlwfhvB0X

Tommaso

On 08/10/14 18:36, Martin Dias wrote:

> [...]
>     > server, at the University of Lugano.
>     >
>     >
>     > * Compatibility
>     >
>     > ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are
>     improving
>     > ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an
>     update in the
>     > following days.
>     >
>     >
>     > For any problem, contact me!
>     >
>     > Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
>     > Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL
>     >

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Marcus Denker-4

> On 09 Oct 2014, at 11:25, Tommaso Dal Sasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

They are on the ESUG account:

http://www.slideshare.net/esug/shoreline-bugs-the-smalltalk-way

        Marcus

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

stepharo
tommaso
     send us a working script
     not something that we should browse and understand.

Stef

On 7/10/14 11:23, Tommaso Dal Sasso wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> for those of you who were not at ESUG, I present ShoreLine Reporter.
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is a Pharo plugin to collect stack traces from
> exceptions and send them to a central repository.
> You can give feedback to the community by breaking things: how cool is
> that?
>

> * Why?
>
> We are collecting stack traces for research purposes and to identify
> the Pharo components that can be improved or optimized.
> We are also working on a web platform where users can access the
> submitted data and use them during the debugging process. More on that
> soon!
>

> * How?
>
> You can install ShoreLine Reporter by visiting the project page on
> SmalltalkHub:
>  http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dalsat/ShoreLine-Reporter/
>
> Installing ShoreLine Reporter requires only a couple of seconds, and
> you can configure it with the level of feedback that you prefer. On
> the SmalltalkHub page you can find a script to automatically install
> ShoreLine Reporter with every new Pharo image. Just drop it in your
> Pharo preferences directory and forget about it.
>
> Once ShoreLine Report is installed, you can decide to configure if you
> want to be prompted to submit a stack trace, or to automatically
> submit each exception without any bother.
>

> * What?
>
> We try to collect as few data as possible: the execution stacktrace,
> the name of the author and the Pharo build. We do *not* any collect
> personal data, such as passwords or repositories. The data is
> currently stored on our server, at the University of Lugano.
>

> * Compatibility
>
> ShoreLine Reporter is developed for the Pharo debugger. We are
> improving ShoreLine Reporter to work with GTInspector, we will push an
> update in the following days.
>

> For any problem, contact me!
>
> Thanks, hope to see a lot of your exceptions ;-)
> Tommaso Dal Sasso @ REVEAL

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

stepharo
It depends:
    - is it overriding?
    - is it well packaged?
    - is it cross cutting a lot?

Stef

On 27/10/14 07:01, Marcus Denker wrote:
[...]

http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Stephan Eggermont-3
Marcus wrote
> I was thinking... would it make sense to have this in the image by default?

Not all my work is open source. How do I make sure I don't inadvertently
leak information?

Stephan

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Marcus Denker-5
It would need to filter and only send those traces that are part of the image.

In a later step, it would be interesting to give people the same infrastructure for their
own code, private to them.

(like those error stack trace collecting tools that are used for mobile apps)

Marcus wrote

http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

Tommaso DS
Hello everybody,

thanks for your feedback.

On 27/10/14 13:07, stepharo wrote:
> It depends:
>     - is it overriding?
>     - is it well packaged?
>     - is it cross cutting a lot?

I have been extremely careful to be as clean as possible. The stack
trace catching is implemented with a PreDebuggingAction without
overriding any of the existing code. It was one of my first design
goals, especially because the purpose of the tool is to be completely
pluggable and unpluggable without influencing the system.
Also, we tested it for three months in daily development activities, so
it is reasonably stable.

We are analyzing the stack traces we collected so far to see if what
useful information a developer can obtain from that. I would love to see
ShoreLine Reporter used to help the development of the Pharo ecosystem
and I would be glad to help if you think that such a tool could be
useful if integrated into Pharo.

Tommaso

On 27/10/14 13:05, stepharo wrote:
> tommaso
>     send us a working script
>     not something that we should browse and understand.
>
> Stef
You are right, the loading script is in the project page, but it is
indeed another step of unneeded indirection.

Thanks,
Tommaso

P.s.: for the sake of completeness, this is the script to load ShoreLine
Reporter and configure it to automatically submit the stack traces
without bothering the user ;-)

StartupLoader default executeAtomicItems: {
     StartupAction
         name: 'ShoreLine-Reporter Installer'
         code: [ [
             Gofer it
                 smalltalkhubUser: 'dalsat' project: 'ShoreLine-Reporter';
                 configuration;
                 load.
             #ConfigurationOfShoreLineReporter asClass load.

             "Setting Reporter configuration"
             #SlReporter asClass enabled: true.
             #SlReporter asClass autoSubmit: true.
             #SlReporter asClass showSummary: false.
             #SlReporter asClass showNotification: true.

             ] asJob run ]
         runOnce: true.
}.

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Marcus wrote
>     > I was thinking... would it make sense to have this in the image
>     by default?
>
>     Not all my work is open source. How do I make sure I don't
>     inadvertently
>     leak information?
>
>     Stephan

This is an interesting problem, and I would love to hear your opinion
given your experience.

The status of ShoreLine Reporter is that it stores the name of the class
and the name of the method, no parameter is involved.
I indeed understand that the name of the method and the trace of calls
may reveal information that a user may want to keep private.
As Markus said, we could filter the classes included in the stock Pharo
image, but this would discard classes of projects like Voyage or Seaside.
Another option could be to provide the user with a way to filter some
classes, for example by matching the class name prefix.

I am the first one to dislike "Big Brother" systems, so I am
particularly sensible on the matter.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Tommaso

On 27/10/14 13:22, Marcus Denker wrote:

> It would need to filter and only send those traces that are part of
> the image.
>
> In a later step, it would be interesting to give people the same
> infrastructure for their
> own code, private to them.
>
> (like those error stack trace collecting tools that are used for
> mobile apps)

Re: ShoreLine Reporter - A tool to collect stack traces

stepharo
> I have been extremely careful to be as clean as possible. The stack
> trace catching is implemented with a PreDebuggingAction without
> overriding any of the existing code. It was one of my first design
> goals, especially because the purpose of the tool is to be completely
> pluggable and unpluggable without influencing the system.
> Also, we tested it for three months in daily development activities,
> so it is reasonably stable.
>
> We are analyzing the stack traces we collected so far to see if what
> useful information a developer can obtain from that. I would love to
> see ShoreLine Reporter used to help the development of the Pharo
> ecosystem and I would be glad to help if you think that such a tool
> could be useful if integrated into Pharo.
Sounds promising :)