Should tools cancel the selection when brought to front?

Should tools cancel the selection when brought to front?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In the tools (e.g. Workspaces, Browser (System and OB)), when you click in a text field to bring the tool to the front, it cancels the selection and places the cursor where the click is.

For me, this behavior is less useful than what seems to me to be the standard "clicking anywhere on me when I'm not active does nothing but activate me" behavior (e.g. try it with two Safari windows in Mac). I find my self contorting and having to move windows so I can click on the title bar of a window underneath so I don't cancel a selection which I want to evaluate repeatedly. I'd rather have one extra click to move the cursor.

What does the community think?

In service,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Should tools cancel the selection when brought to front?

abergel
> In the tools (e.g. Workspaces, Browser (System and OB)), when you click in a
> text field to bring the tool to the front, it cancels the selection and
> places the cursor where the click is.
>
> For me, this behavior is less useful than what seems to me to be the
> standard "clicking anywhere on me when I'm not active does nothing but
> activate me" behavior (e.g. try it with two Safari windows in Mac). I find
> my self contorting and having to move windows so I can click on the title
> bar of a window underneath so I don't cancel a selection which I want to
> evaluate repeatedly. I'd rather have one extra click to move the cursor.

I share the same experience, especially when opening a workspace or a transcript while coding in a browser. I need to click on the background to open a world menu to move the focus on the background before typing Cmd-k.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Should tools cancel the selection when brought to front?

Gary Chambers-4
That's a different one (depends on the morph with keyboard focus...)

As for Shaun's preference we should probably have a setting:
Related to Object>>windowActiveOnFirstClick

Might be like that for Mac apps, for Windows users they expect the click to
follow through...

Regards, Gary

>> In the tools (e.g. Workspaces, Browser (System and OB)), when you click
>> in a
>> text field to bring the tool to the front, it cancels the selection and
>> places the cursor where the click is.
>>
>> For me, this behavior is less useful than what seems to me to be the
>> standard "clicking anywhere on me when I'm not active does nothing but
>> activate me" behavior (e.g. try it with two Safari windows in Mac). I
>> find
>> my self contorting and having to move windows so I can click on the title
>> bar of a window underneath so I don't cancel a selection which I want to
>> evaluate repeatedly. I'd rather have one extra click to move the cursor.
>
> I share the same experience, especially when opening a workspace or a
> transcript while coding in a browser. I need to click on the background to
> open a world menu to move the focus on the background before typing Cmd-k.
>
> Alexandre

Re: Should tools cancel the selection when brought to front?

abergel
ah ok

Alexandre

On 23 Feb 2011, at 14:03, Gary Chambers wrote:

> That's a different one (depends on the morph with keyboard focus...)
>
> As for Shaun's preference we should probably have a setting:
> Related to Object>>windowActiveOnFirstClick
>
> Might be like that for Mac apps, for Windows users they expect the click to follow through...
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandre Bergel" <[hidden email]>

I'll open an issue.

Sean